What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

02 Trans Am WS6

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 02 Trans Am WS6

All,
I have a lead on a 2002 Trans Am WS6, black, 6 speed, with 4 miles. Yes 4 miles..

Stored in an air pod since 02. All original. All Docs, needless to say but mint.

What might this be worth?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2021, 01:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Hard to say, I could see the range being in the 10s of thousands depending on who happens to show up to bid that day (assuming this would end up at a high end auction). Some folks can lose their mind over a car like this, bidding silly amounts of cash just to best another high dollar bidder. Pride and bragging rights might add a big premium, but who knows if it would ever reach that point again if the right folks weren't in the market next time.

I've personally never seen one (LS1 4th gen) with less than 3 miles on it, and I looked at many brand new ones back in the late '90s/early '00s when I bought two new 4th gens myself. This might be one of only a handful left in the world with under 5 miles. So, again, it's hard to even speculate a "reasonable" price based on the current market fever for WS6 cars and who else might get wind of such a car being available. You might have to throw the book away on this one unless you're in a situation where it's an acquaintance, etc., and you have the right of first refusal.
The following users liked this post:
Z28tek (05-07-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 05:11 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen really low mile 4th Gens advertised around that original MSRP value of around $30k. I used to always question whether they sold or not but in today's market conditions I would not be adverse to say you could fetch that. If the goal is beyond that though I feel like that is a risk. Yes it may be one of the few original low mileage WS6 out there but if you start getting into the $40+ range there is just way to many options.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
Yes it may be one of the few original low mileage WS6 out there but if you start getting into the $40+ range there is just way to many options.
If we were talking about a typical "low mileage", or even super low mileage, example I would be inclined to agree. Lots of these cars have been tucked away with under 20k miles, even under 10k miles. But at single digit mileage and bubble-stored, this is nearly one-of-a-kind and not a vehicle that any high dollar collector would purchase to actually drive, so the various "other options" on the market are likely not much of a factor in gauging value. Emotion, pride and/or exclusivity of mileage status would be more of a driving factor here than performance value for the dollar, etc. Combined with the "WS6 fever" that has gripped the market as of late, I think it would be a miracle to walk away with this car for original MSRP (unless, again, this is a private sale between acquaintances, etc.) If it goes to high end auction, no telling how silly things might get.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Thanks all. Working on a number from the seller. Last I heard last week was "make me an offer". Don't want to hurt feelings and don't want to overspend here. The make an offer quote's are hard to judge where they might be at.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the seller in question have any price tag at all?
I would start off with "about what are you looking to get?" and see what he says.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Dren
Thanks all. Working on a number from the seller. Last I heard last week was "make me an offer". Don't want to hurt feelings and don't want to overspend here. The make an offer quote's are hard to judge where they might be at.
Does the owner actually want to sell the car, or are you trying to motivate him to sell a car that he wasn't already actively selling or planning to sell? The "make me an offer" thing sounds more like the latter, a situation where he would only sell the car if someone came to him with a number crazy enough to motivate an unplanned sale. If that's the case, and you really want the car, you will probably have to get silly with your offer. However, if it's the former (meaning he's already been planning to sell the car) then I would remind him that this is currently a private deal and not an auction, so an asking price is fair to expect if he is actually motivated to sell the car, wants a serious offer, and doesn't want to go to auction. But this all depends on how badly you want the car, and whether or not he has already mentally committed to selling it.

So the real question here is, did your "lead" on this car also contain any information about the current intentions of the seller - meaning is the car technically "for sale" or planning to be sold, or is he happy to keep the car until the end of time unless someone shocks him with a huge figure?
Old 05-12-2021, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

Follow-up DREN???? I'd like to hear more. What a find!
Old 05-13-2021, 05:39 AM
Launching!

The latest is $40K will get the car. I’m contemplating.. Not sure I can just let it sit for my garage ornament. I couldn’t think of driving it and adding more miles. Seller not in a rush. I’m thinking on it. I’m not against buying to sell down the road just don’t want to get hurt on it.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Follow-up DREN???? I'd like to hear more. What a find!
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

$40k is not that bad of a price, TBH. My worry is what seems to be what yours is. Will this car appreciate enough to use as an actual investment especially if you can't even drive it? I don't think it will. If it's a true investment there are surely better ways BUT if looking at it means more to you than anything else (smiles are priceless) and you could make a little money, that's not all bad.

I'd never be able to just look at it. I'd have to drive it. I don't trust myself. Be like having a virgin Salma Hayek in my bed just for 'looking at'. I ain't saving her for the next guy.

Last edited by 440_Stroker; 05-13-2021 at 08:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 440_Stroker:
Dren (05-17-2021), NC01TA (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

The latest is $40K will get the car. I’m contemplating.. Not sure I can just let it sit for my garage ornament. I couldn’t think of driving it and adding more miles. Seller not in a rush. I’m thinking on it. I’m not against buying to sell down the road just don’t want to get hurt on it.
Thanks for the reply. I tend to be on the high side of these unique cars but $40k seems to be top $$$. If I wanted it for myself to drive and enjoy for the next 10+ years, then it's like buying a new car such as a Mustang or Camaro, etc.... It will depreciate but still worth some money in the long run if kept nice. To let it sit in your garage is a big unknown. I tend to think it will NOT go much higher and it might even come down a little bit. Not a good financial investment but certainly a car to enjoy and drive if that is what you would like to do. I'd be tempted for sure, but not to let it sit.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 440_Stroker
$40k is not that bad of a price, TBH. My worry is what seems to be what yours is. Will this car appreciate enough to use as an actual investment especially if you can't even drive it? I don't think it will. If it's a true investment there are surely better ways BUT if looking at it means more to you than anything else (smiles are priceless) and you could make a little money, that's not all bad.
I agree.

I'm actually surprised that the seller is only looking for $40k, though I guess a private sale at that amount might be better for him than the hassles and costs involved of going to a high end auction (where it might bring quite a bit more, based on some other recent data, though the net amount in his pocket after all associated expenses might be equal or less).

Personally, I would never buy any car as a long term growth investment, if that's the purpose. Too much risk, too much volatility in this market. Sometimes a quick flip is a great way to make some cash if you can find a killer deal, but holding on long term is just not likely to produce the same net gains as more traditional forms of investment. For example, this car stickered for about $32k when new (not counting taxes, fees), depending on exact options. Now, if it sells for $40k nearly 20 years later, that ~$8k "profit" probably won't even cover the cost of two decades worth of insurance, utility fees for climate controlled storage, and the bubble purchase...not to mention inflation over that period. On the other hand, if that same $32k had been invested in a modest T-note or bank CD at an average of 3% annually, compounding over the last 19 years, it would be worth over $56k today.

So yes, if you want to buy the car for reasons of personal pleasure then more power to you; that's what this hobby is all about. But I wouldn't do it as a long term growth investment, there are certainly better options in that regard.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
Dren (05-17-2021), NC01TA (05-13-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that low of miles, I would keep it in the bubble. That car is an investment at this point and $40k isn't unreasonable (I've been following the market on nice lower mile stock f-bodies recently). If you want to drive / enjoy a car buy one with more miles - just my opinion.

I've got a black/black '00 all stock WS6 6-speed with 33k miles, garage-kept its entire life. I'm reluctant to molest it at this point, but I'm a far cry from 3k miles and in a bubble. I think mine is probably worth around $25k.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by General Jack
...I'm reluctant to molest it at this point, but I'm a far cry from 3k miles and in a bubble.
Just to clarify, the OP stated that the car in question has only 4 miles, meaning 000,004. That's well below 3k, and probably one of just a handful of LS1 WS6s left in the world with single digit mileage.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Just to clarify, the OP stated that the car in question has only 4 miles, meaning 000,004. That's well below 3k, and probably one of just a handful of LS1 WS6s left in the world with single digit mileage.
Wow, that needs to be a museum piece!

Quick Reply: 02 Trans Am WS6