What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1999 Camaro Z28 1LE

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 Camaro Z28 1LE

Hello - What is it worth?
1999 Camaro 1LE, Black. 6-speed manual.
~70,000 miles. Mechanically great condition. Paint / cosmetic damage since it's parked outside under the California sun.

Thank you,
RT
Old 01-28-2023, 07:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,282 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I think this is the first 1LE LS1 car that I have ever seen with the Sport Appearance Package (RPO Y3F). It's sort of a polarizing package though, most folks tend to not like it, and any rarity related value is pretty much out the window based on the mileage and condition (i.e. this is not a collector condition example).

The left side of the car appears to have paint damage that is well beyond any repair short of a repaint. Probably the whole car will need a respray to look nice, but if the interior is still really nice then it might be worth it.

In any event, it's an interesting car and desirable for the mileage, manual trans, and 1LE status. I'm not familiar with the CA market pricing on these cars, so I don't really have a specific value estimate, but it's probably worth a small premium over other local examples of comparable condition. Keep in mind, the rough paint condition is really going to hurt it vs. an otherwise comparable car that might not be a 1LE but has much nicer paint. Fixing that is going to be expensive and/or time consuming so it's not going to bring big money by any means, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 542 Likes on 389 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm thinking low teens ($12k - $14K) due to the body. Let's say a sweet very good condition, 1 or 2 owner, garage kept, 70,000 miles car was optimistically worth $20k or so. Factor in the work and paint to put this car in that condition being at least $5k. I'm talking quality paint jobs, not the kind that last one year.That's how I'm coming up with low teens as a price. If there are other issues or a bad Carfax history, then maybe even that low teens figure is too high.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I'm thinking low teens ($12k - $14K) due to the body. Let's say a sweet very good condition, 1 or 2 owner, garage kept, 70,000 miles car was optimistically worth $20k or so. Factor in the work and paint to put this car in that condition being at least $5k. I'm talking quality paint jobs, not the kind that last one year.That's how I'm coming up with low teens as a price. If there are other issues or a bad Carfax history, then maybe even that low teens figure is too high.
You're probably right.

Only thing is, to most, a repainted car is worth less than original, and they are only original once. Just playing devil's advocate here but if I buy a car that needs work I won't pay the difference between top dollar and what it would take to get to get it to that point. It's a pain, and sucks, to buy a car that needs work. Some like it and that's ok but that time to not enjoy the car lowers the value, at least to me.

I like this car even though not a fan of the ground effects. I always thought it needed the SS style wheels to make it look right.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,282 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 440_Stroker
Just playing devil's advocate here but if I buy a car that needs work I won't pay the difference between top dollar and what it would take to get to get it to that point. It's a pain, and sucks, to buy a car that needs work. Some like it and that's ok but that time to not enjoy the car lowers the value, at least to me.
I agree, especially when it's a major project like paint/body work - that's not quick or easy work.

I don't personally feel this car would bring anything over $10k in this condition, maybe even less depending on the interior. But I don't know what the CA specific market looks like at present.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the feedback.
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (01-31-2023)

Quick Reply: 1999 Camaro Z28 1LE