What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Thompson Motorsports 416 LS3

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024 | 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Default Thompson Motorsports 416 LS3

Never fired.

Was bought for a project, life took a different direction and now I'm looking to go a different direction as well.

It's assembled right now as a longblock with TFS 245 heads and a FAST 102, but I'm thinking about taking it back down to a shortblock and then selling the heads/intake separately.

Just curious what you guys think the shortblock or long block for that matter would be worth?

The shortblocks seem to sell new for $7,500-$9,000 depending on who it's through. This one is "new" as it's never been run, but it's a couple years old as it sat in the garage (bagged).

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2024 | 09:48 PM
Launching!
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Never fired.

Was bought for a project, life took a different direction and now I'm looking to go a different direction as well.

It's assembled right now as a longblock with TFS 245 heads and a FAST 102, but I'm thinking about taking it back down to a shortblock and then selling the heads/intake separately.

Just curious what you guys think the shortblock or long block for that matter would be worth?

The shortblocks seem to sell new for $7,500-$9,000 depending on who it's through. This one is "new" as it's never been run, but it's a couple years old as it sat in the garage (bagged).

Thanks!
Is Thompson’s one-year, unlimited-mile warranty still active? I’m guessing no; it probably started counting at the moment of sale. If you had documentation from Thompson stating that the warranty is transferrable to the new owner and begins at first fire or something, then I think you just to offer a small discount relative to what you could buy the same engine for new — let’s say $300-500 off, just to incentivize the buyer to go with you instead of going straight to Thompson for one that’s actually brand new instead of just “new in bag,” if you will.

If the warranty is out of the question, you probably need to take more like $1500-2000 off the top. Price out all the parts and add maybe $250 for the value of it being assembled.

You could also consider contacting Thompson and seeing if they want to buy it back from you. I wouldn’t expect a full refund, but if you can prove that it’s a never-fired motor that they built, they might be interested. It’d save them the labor of doing another build for the next customer who wants a 416.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 04-16-2024 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-16-2024 | 06:49 AM
TECH Regular
5 Year Member

Thompson Warranty starts 1 year from date of receipt of engine regardless of unfired or not.
Old 04-16-2024 | 08:19 AM
Launching!
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by klinznilk
Thompson Warranty starts 1 year from date of receipt of engine regardless of unfired or not.
That’s what I figured — so if you sell the engine, it’s completely without warranty, which IMO is like 80% of the point of buying a shortblock like this. So it would hurt the value significantly.

That makes contacting Thompson and seeing if they want to buy it back all the more reasonable.

Quick Reply: Thompson Motorsports 416 LS3