Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Sellmans and Laws on tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sellmans and Laws on tires

Last year I had worn down my factory Eagle tires. I been to two different shops and both tell me that with the high performance car like the Firebird they can only sell me and install Z-rated tires. Now I know Z are good for speeds over 149mph, but I have never seen more that 130mph for a very shotr time. I couldn't convince them to sell me a set of H-rated tire because they said there is a law that forces them to only install Z-rated tires onto my car. In my opinion, any car can do these high speeds if you have enough road. What can you guys tell me?
Old 09-13-2003, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Sellmans and Laws on tires

Man that sucks! I can see their point though with so many people being "sue happy" these days.I would keep checking with other shops though.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:43 PM
AGL
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be wrong but - last time I checked online
in a discount tire supplier - the W,X,and Y ratings have a higher MPH !!!!!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,287 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I've never heard of such, but I'd say just buy whatever tires you want on line and take them with your wheels to any place that mounts and balances tires. Bring your new tires on the wheels back to your car, install them, and be happy

BTW, your BFG DRs are NOT Z rated. So whatever shop mounted and balanced them for you is where I would take your next set of street tires, since obviously they have no issue with the speed rating.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

These guys are full of **** because your local highest speed limit is what 50-70mph...and lowest speed rated tire can handle that. AGeo Metro can travel at speeds greater then 70 mph...so does that mean the only tires that car can have are ZR rated....? Bullshit!
Old 09-14-2003, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, there's no restrictions on tire ratings.
Z28s and Monte Carlos came with the same tires, so there's no way.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

if the car came from the factory with z rated tires im sure they need to put z rated tires on it.

i know gm cant sell a car that has a high limiter with not z rated (or h, whatever the higher numbers are) tires. didnt the 115 limiter cars come with like eagle GAs or something. as a tire company i wouldnt risk putting a tire on a car that its not made for. just cause you dont go that fast doesnt mean you wont. go to a third shop and if they hassle you just tell them the car is limited 110 mph from the factory.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,287 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Like I said above, go to whoever mounted your BFG DRs. They are not Z rated, not even close. No drag racing tire has a Z rating. If they are willing to put those on for you, I don't see why they wouldn't put any other rating on.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

There is no law saying you have to have a certain speed rated tire on your car. If thats the case...then how can we use Blizzak snow tires on our LS1s...???? These guys are blowing smoke up your asses....WAKE up and smell the coffee. Of course they will only sell you ZR rated tires....because they are EXPENSIVE, duh!!
Old 09-14-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Stock tire on an F-Body is V rated.
The Z rated tire is an option (RPO QLC I think).
Getting the Z rated tire option also removes the 115mph speed limiter.
Sure the factory has some limits on what tires they can put on a new car, but what you do to it yourself is entirely up to you.
I'm sure there are no laws about what tire you can put on your car.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told the same thing once. I was then told to just bring in the wheels and tires and they'll mount "whatever". But the tire shop (it was a chain) has a policy against "installing" tires on a car that are not the same speed rating that the car calls for (at least for high performance cars). It is to avoid getting sued. I'm sure the receipt would say "$59.00 mount LOOSE tires and rims" and note that they didn't install anything....

Have fun!
Old 09-17-2003, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its not a law but it is for your safety. The vehicle was equipped with Z rated tires because not only can it acheieve very high sustained speeds, but they compliment the cars suspension. Putting a mushy sidewall H rated tire on your car dramatically changes the vehicle dynamics. That quick turn in that your used to will no longer be there. It could make the difference in a emergency accident avoidance lane change, etc. The shop is just protecting you, and them. Technically all they need to do is make comments on the invoice that says "customer requests this speed rating, has been advised"
Old 09-17-2003, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

First of all...most of all state speed limits are FAR under 149mph; therefore, what is the need for ZR rated tires. Are you saying because the car is capable of 150mph...and if we all put ZR rated tires on the car, we are allowed to go that fast? I think not. If we are required to travel speeds under 70mph...then why install 149+mph tires? F-bodies with V-rated tires(formulas, z28s, and V6s) have the non-ZR rated tires, does that mean they are a road hazzard? Come-on...its a gimmick to get you to spend more cash. Sure I agree if you are going to drive at speeds like 150mph then you definetly need tires to handle that speed. But just because you have a high speed capable car doesn't mean you drive like an *******.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Regardless of speed limits, regardless of how YOU drive your car, there IS a Federal law, from about 30 yrs ago, that basically says, "You cannot install a tire/rim that is smaller than the size listed on the door as original equipment." That law has been amended to include, "speed rating".
The law was initially aimed at the 'low rider' guys that were taking 4,500 lb Caddies, installing 14x10 rims and then putting a A70-14 tire on the car. Not safe at any speed!
So, to cover their butts, SOME dealers will refuse.
Obviously, your can buy your tires online and get them installed on your wheels and then take them home and bolt them to your car.