Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

My bad luck story and quick question about BFG KD 315s

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My bad luck story and quick question about BFG KD 315s

So I bought a whole new set of these tires in the summer of 07. Haven't driven the car much at all, and just about a month ago, while cleaning the car, I noticed a deep crack in the driver side rear tire, and yeah, the tire was down to like 2 psi. Needless to say I needed a new tire, called up tire rack, tire is out of production. Got lucky and found a guy on ebay that sold these tires brand new in pairs. Got a new pair for $350 plus shipping, got them mounted up and kept the one right rear tire.

Yesterday, I walk out of the garage and my buddy notices that my left rear is flat....AGAIN! Grrrrrrrr! Now I didn't have a chance to take the wheel off and look around for damage, but just from looking at the tire (which has 200 miles on it), I can't see anything really. I pumped the tire back up and I can't hear any loud fizzing sound. So far I just pumped it up to 25 psi and took note of the time just to see how much air it loses.

Anyhow... lets say this tire too is damaged in a non patchable spot, and taking into consideration that the BFG KD has a left and right tire, would it be safe to put the old good tire (has around 3000 on it) in place of the damaged one? I mean, the tread direction is still the same, only difference is that since the tread pattern is assymetrical, the bigger tread blocks will be on the inside instead of the outside. Since this is a rear tire, I don't think it would matter much, would it?

I really don't want to spend another 400 bucks on another pair of new rear tires!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

check your wheel man...if you've only got 200 miles on the new tires, might be something wrong with your wheel...other then that, they make the tires like that for a reason.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had my KDs mounted I was told that the front of the tire had to be mounted to the front of the wheel and couldn't be mounted to the back of the wheel. Either it's true or NTB gave me a line of ****.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well got some good news. I collected a big screw while driving, and the hole was easily patched by my local Chevy dealer. They only charged me 20 bucks, which was really surprising because they charged me 40 dollars initially to mount one tire.

I am extremely happy right now!