Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Billet Specialties 15X10 Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Billet Specialties 15X10 Fitment

Guys, I just received Billet Specialties 15X10's F body specific wheels from dragwheelz.com. What a quality product, the finish is unreal, all CNC cut. There is ZERO caliper grinding required. Weight is ~15/16 lbs. I did a test fit today, and clearance on the hoop seems to be at least 1/8". With SFI approval I will feel comfortable using these wheels for street and strip. Other mfrs have strip only wheels, but to me it's a PIA to have to change wheels on and off at the strip. I plan on using Hoosier QTP DOT 27X11.5X15LT.

Why Centerline, Weld and others haven't come up with a SFI wheel that will fit our F body cars is beyond me. I really think this product is what we have been waiting for, for years. Check them out, I don't think you will be disappointed..
Old 11-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear, thanks for the update. Might be going that route in spring.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big,

I'm happy your satisfied with your purchase.

For your own reading enjoyment and others so they do not fall into the same "comfort zone" regarding SFI rating.

...For the record, SFI rating has nothing to do with street usage. Weld DOES have stamp approved SFI rating, I'm not sure of centerline if they pay for it or not. SFI approval has absolutly nothing to do with street usage. SFI rating offers zero benefits to the end user for streetability.

There are many other manufactures with street/strip wheels. For example, we've been offering them for folks for years.

The tires you're using are not highway approved tires...so you'll still need to be careful.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Banned

Big, It was My Pleasure.

I will make sure those catalogs get out to you asap.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:00 PM
KBG
Launching!

waiting to put mine on as we speak....it's gonna be great to not have to change out wheels everytime I go to the strip!!!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here a link:

http://www.dragwheelz.com/osc/produc...products_id=52
Old 11-21-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wish more of the parts on my Fbody were SFI rated, because I'd have a much larger "comfort zone" than I do currently. For example, my bell housing /scatter shield is SFI rated, if my clutch blows, whether on the street or strip, I can feel fairly confident my legs and feet will be protected.

IMO,I don't think it would be a stretch to say that most strip wheels that fail, probably due to light weight, be it on the strip or street, were non SFI rated.

Helmets, seat belts, fire retardent suits, the more parts that go through SFI testing the better. Spending a few more dollars for peace of mind is where it's at.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Restricted User

Cool man, post up some pics!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bigdsz
I wish more of the parts on my Fbody were SFI rated, because I'd have a much larger "comfort zone" than I do currently. For example, my bell housing /scatter shield is SFI rated, if my clutch blows, whether on the street or strip, I can feel fairly confident my legs and feet will be protected.

IMO,I don't think it would be a stretch to say that most strip wheels that fail, probably due to light weight, be it on the strip or street, were non SFI rated.

Helmets, seat belts, fire retardent suits, the more parts that go through SFI testing the better. Spending a few more dollars for peace of mind is where it's at.
You can feel what you wish. I hate to see people misunderstand ratings and their intended usage. I strongly feel that it would be a stretch to say that other street/strip wheels would fail during street usage quicker then the wheels you purchased. A well informed manufacture would not likely suggest to a consumer to use their street/strip wheel and not be worthy to be used on the street or strip!

I rarely recommend any of our street/strip 15" designs for many cars due to the weight in comparison to most other 15" designs. Our rear street/strip wheel which is almost the exact same weight of your rear wheel (16lbs). Most other street/strip wheels weighing the same design using a typical 1 piece hoop and billet center will test VERY similar. The material thickness of the hoops are essentially the same (if not identical), the shell design is essentially the same. Aside from the appearance of a billet center, it’s hard to compete with a similar weighted 16lb street/strip wheel which such as a summit/jegs prostar which costs about half the price for the same performance gain and same piece of mind.

Let’s take a prime example of a high-end SFI rated product such as a weld alumastar drag wheel so you or others don't say "Steve is biased". I'd like you to use that high-end drag wheel which is SFI rated and use it on the street.

Let me ask you how you'd feel knowing that the weld alumastar is SFI rated do you feel comfortable using this on the street due to the rating??? This point is being made to further understand my comments.

SFI rating is test that is run to verify certain minimum specifications are met...this does not include streetability/warranty of fitness concerns. Commenting most wheels you see on the market would pass SFI rating if tested. There are many of them out there. Why aren't they stamped on every wheel?? Most people complain about costs...add SFI rating into the mix passed onto the consumer and they would like them even less. SFI rating is rarely needed for most types of racing that many of the racers run. If it was a concern, more wheel manufactures would pay for the approval stamp. It would be ridiculous to think that most manufactures who do not state SFI ratings do not test their wheels to meet minimum safety standards.

Let me ask another question; are your LCA’s, k-member, subframe connectors etc etc SFI approved??? I’d state with a high-degree of certainty they are not. According to you, you should not feel safe with any of these components and should not be using them. Actually EVEN your tires are not rated as such AND are NOT designed for public a roadway which is CLEARLY stated on Hoosiers website. If you do not believe me, here’s the link https://www.hoosiertire.com/warrrace.htm. Any warm and fuzzy feeling you may have about an SFI wheels being superior to a non SFI rated wheel should be thrown out the door if you’re running these tires on the street.

My comments are not to be combative with you. I am trying to show not to be mislead about a specified rating and its intent. I am also not trying to tell you that you made a bad purchase. If you like the wheels that is all which matters most.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

So Steve, what you are saying is that SFI will keep the boogy man away from wheels that have that sticker? My car is in trouble now! I thought some of these things were implemented to keep the racers from using a product that will fail. That it only applied to a few racing venues. Because the powers that be know we will sacrifice safety for speed. Now Bogart does make a wheel that is better suited for the street. But if someone wants to take the race ones out and complain they broke. Its that persons fault. Any wheel designed for racing only will eventually fail on the street. Now I dont own either of these wheels yet. They both are nice. But I would like to run a 17/16 setup.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 PM
FormerVendor

SFI will not keep any boogie man away. SFI rating is not a warranty of fitness for street driving or mean they will surpass other non SFI approved wheels. It means that a wheel has passed minimum specifications.

We have street/strip wheels which we've produced for years. I never recommend them though as they are so damn heavy. Would they pass SFI, certainly as most of ours would. Let's take our road race wheels, I would actually put them up against most other manufactures wheels since we're discussing Billet Specialty wheels, I feel very confident ours would surpass strength/durability tests!

Many wheel manufactures are NOT SFI approved. For example, I don't believe Fiske wheels are SFI rated either (Tony nine ball could chime in as he is a dealer)...they produce very high quality wheels that work very well for street use and are very durable. I've got a set of colorado custom wheels which were over 2000.00 for the set that are very durable and not SFI approved. There are probably more manufactures not SFI rated then there are. Once again, this doesn't mean they are not tested to meet minimum safe specifications!

My comments are not to state our wheels are better then someone else’s. These are comments to discuss misinterpretations of some people regarding SFI rating. Unfortunately, some resellers do not understand or are unqualified to discuss these topics.

SFI will NOT prove to be stronger then a non SFI rated wheel in all cases. I'll give another example, asside from SFI approved weld wheels such as the alumastar and an upcoming newer SFI rated Billet Specialty drag wheel, I would NEVER use them on the street. If you think that the SFI rating will give you more confidence, you are kidding yourself! It's a shame when some of you have the wool pulled over your eyes from someone selling products that boast them as a "benefit" to the end user misrepresenting them just to make a sale. This comment isn't directed towards anyone in particular...but somewhere, unless each is end user is assuming this on their own...someone is misinforming the end user!

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 11-21-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigdsz
Why Centerline, Weld and others haven't come up with a SFI wheel that will fit our F body cars is beyond me.
Weld Racing started a new line called the "RT Series" with it's primary goal of fitting the LS1, even in a 15x10 at 7.5" backspacing. Approved for street use AND surpasses SFI 15.1. It's available currently at Motorstate Distributing. There's another thread talking about it at: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ld-wheels.html
Old 11-21-2008, 10:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by srider
Weld Racing started a new line called the "RT Series" with it's primary goal of fitting the LS1, even in a 15x10 at 7.5" backspacing. Approved for street use AND surpasses SFI 15.1. It's available currently at Motorstate Distributing. There's another thread talking about it at: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ld-wheels.html
Perfect! I saw those and they look very nice. Hopefully they pan out for them! Once again, the SFI portion (if they are SFI rated or not) has nothing to do with streetability. Many wheels can easily surpass those ratings.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice looking wheel.

I get the distinct impression that SJM feels threatened by the new products, Fbody specific, coming to the marketplace. How he feels he has the right to butt into every thread is truly beyond me.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:43 PM
FormerVendor

Big,

I'm not threatened in the least bit. We've got similar designed wheels, both are too heavy for me to recommend. Neither ours nor billet specialties front wheels fit without grinding and neither really has a deep enough backspace.

There are many options for people out there. The one the previous poster listed would be one more. Those look like another very nice wheel option. I’m not putting those down, nor am I putting down the wheels you purchased. Hell, if you notice, I downplay some of OUR wheels as noted in the last paragraph!

The more wheels the better for people to make choices from. When you make a decision based on false misconceptions...you are the one that looses though. I was merely trying to help you. If I didn't, your loss, hopefully others appreciate descriptions or explanations to help them learn about products or make better educated decisions. Hopefully, in my attempt, others do not follow some of your misconceptions which are misleading and incorrect.

Me butting into your post was to clarify for others at least who may want to hear and understand a rating. You can believe what you want in your own head. I've discussed many wheels.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 11-21-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

Well both of you dudes have very nice wheels that can do both weather SFI approved of not. Remember when george hurst would drop like 2000lbs on his wheels to prove how strong they were? And wheels were actually made from a magnesium alloy? My dad had some on a 64 goat.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Wheels look great guys. I am still debating whether or not to switch from my Fikse's to some Billet Specialties and have 17x7, 17x11 and 15x10's for the strip. But so far no one wants to buy the Fikse's and I still love the way the Black Anodized looks on my Black Bird.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the smaller LT1 brakes and the 15x10 7.5 bs wont fit no way no how.... there will have to be major grinding but the front only need minor grinding..... when i ordered my wheels i stated my car was a 1994 LT1 Z28.... i wonder why i am having so much problems and these just fit right up???? jake
Old 01-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Banned

Do you have the Fbody specific wheel?

who did you purchase them through??
Old 01-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

I still don't understand the buzz on these wheels, they do not fit correctly up front!

Dragwheelz- can you ask the Billet guys about making a 15x3.5" wheel with a 2.25" backspace?

Quick Reply: Billet Specialties 15X10 Fitment