Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Is there any skinny drag style wheels that fit over C5 brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008 | 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Question Is there any skinny drag style wheels that fit over C5 brakes?

Looking for something to run on the front, I have C5 brakes up front and want to go to a thinner wheel. I have heard that Weld does a 17" Star style wheel that Sort of matches a prostar, Do these clear? Info is hard to come by on this stuff... How about Bogarts? Their site sucks......

I do know the GTO spare clears but I am not willing to use them, they are ugly and rated for 50MPH...
Old 12-07-2008 | 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a template for wheel clearance.
Old 12-07-2008 | 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Bogarts will fit over C5 brakes. SJM can set you up with a set. A few months ago a ZO6 was featured in GMHTP with a set of D10s. They do have a few 5 spoke designs that might do the trick for you.
Old 12-07-2008 | 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tillery
Bogarts will fit over C5 brakes. SJM can set you up with a set. A few months ago a ZO6 was featured in GMHTP with a set of D10s. They do have a few 5 spoke designs that might do the trick for you.
YES!

Our Bogart designs can be built to fit over the calipers. Personally though, unless you're setup mainly for street use or road racing, I'd consider switching back to LS1 brakes.

The wheels will end up being less expensive. Braking realistically will be no different whether you have LS1 or C5 brakes. With the C5's you're over-biased towards the fronts and you'll just skid more. They won't help you on the track. They are a good improvement for street or road race driving, but not for drag racing.
Old 12-07-2008 | 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Well it is a 94 and I cant go back unless I swap spindles, I don't really want to do that. Unless the wheels are EXTREMELY expensive....
It is a car that sees street time too, and I would like to keep the brakes that are on the car...

Is there a guide or something that shows what styles are available that clear the C5 stuff? I would be looking for something that clears the front I assume they would have to be 17"? and then need a matching set in a 15 x10 with a 7.5 back space for the rear.....
Also do the bogarts work with 5/8 studs?

Last edited by Carnutz; 12-07-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2008 | 06:05 PM
FormerVendor

You can choose anything from the P1 section. It would be a 17x5 and 15x10 setup. You'll need M&H tires. You can see a set of proto's that were built for them on a video on their site. The fronts to give you a ballpark pricing would be ~500.00 per wheel.

We can build any of our setups to work with 5/8" studs. You could sell/swap the front spindles and brakes and come out ahead if they are something you can live without. You're really handicapped using that front road racing setup (for drag racing).
Old 12-07-2008 | 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

How about if he went with LS1 brakes over the LT1? Still great stopping and the front rear bias will be closer than what he has. I think the 17 front and 15 or 16 inch rear is a nice setup. Just need a good tire person to help you get a radial tire for the front. M&H has a radial that fits? Cool, thought Only Hoosier made them this size in a radial.
Old 12-07-2008 | 09:30 PM
FormerVendor

LS1 brakes would be recommended over LT1. The LS1 brakes are actually about 5lbs lighter per side. They also fade better (less).
Old 12-07-2008 | 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmm Yikes at the $500 a wheel.... If I went to LS1 spindles then I probably could get away with Welds? They fit over LS1 Brakes dont they?
Old 12-07-2008 | 09:51 PM
FormerVendor

You wouldn't be spending that kind of money with our 15" configurations...for the 17" drags, that pricing is actually right in line with most other drag wheels of that size...and they are designed to fit. Welds alumastar 17" wheel is actually almost 590.00 per wheel!!! That particular style isn't inexpensive (17" drag wheels)...hence why I commented to you to consider changing.

The welds...yes, you can get them to fit easier with purchasing additional spacers. I"ll assume you're referring to prostars or draglites as Welds high-end 15" wheels would cost you about 485.00 per wheel. Their prostar/draglites are about 192.00 per wheel.

...But then again, at that point (considering the weld prostar/draglites), you can have our wheels fit your LT1 setup for about 50-60.00 per wheel difference with our Bogart's being lighter and direct fit and look better, no spacers are needed. Or for about 90.00 per wheel difference have them be direct fit for your LS1 brake configuration fitting directly with the same benefits. Our wheels will also have a higher resale value. If you can find a pair of used ones...you'll be set. (if you can find them as they go rather quickly when advertised).

So no matter how you look at it...as discussed previously, your far better off removing those brake components so it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

As I've shown, our LT1/LS1 designed products really are not that more expensive but give benefits that no other wheel manufacture can provide bar none. They really are right in line with most other wheels...actually being less expensive then some drag configurations.

If you want to get away as inexpensive as possible, use something like the summit/jegs prostar street/strip wheel...that is about the least amount of funds you'll get away from.

It is all how you want to setup your car and what you're goals are.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 12-07-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2008 | 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
You wouldn't be spending that kind of money with our 15" configurations...for the 17" drags, that pricing is actually right in line with most other drag wheels of that size...and they are designed to fit. Welds alumastar 17" wheel is actually almost 590.00 per wheel!!! That particular style isn't inexpensive (17" drag wheels)...hence why I commented to you to consider changing.

The welds...yes, you can get them to fit easier with purchasing additional spacers. I"ll assume you're referring to prostars or draglites as Welds high-end 15" wheels would cost you about 485.00 per wheel. Their prostar/draglites are about 192.00 per wheel.

...But then again, at that point (considering the weld prostar/draglites), you can have our wheels fit your LT1 setup for about 50-60.00 per wheel difference with our Bogart's being lighter and direct fit and look better, no spacers are needed. Or for about 90.00 per wheel difference have them be direct fit for your LS1 brake configuration fitting directly with the same benefits. Our wheels will also have a higher resale value. If you can find a pair of used ones...you'll be set. (if you can find them as they go rather quickly when advertised).

So no matter how you look at it...as discussed previously, your far better off removing those brake components so it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

As I've shown, our LT1/LS1 designed products really are not that more expensive but give benefits that no other wheel manufacture can provide bar none. They really are right in line with most other wheels...actually being less expensive then some drag configurations.

If you want to get away as inexpensive as possible, use something like the summit/jegs prostar street/strip wheel...that is about the least amount of funds you'll get away from.

It is all how you want to setup your car and what you're goals are.

Well I have seen the Jegs "Draglites" and they are a poor knock off, thick heavy junk, I wont go that way. It seems the best way is to go is swap to LS1 stuff and then get wheels to fit.... I should be able to swap my C5 stuff for LS1 stuff and have some cash to put tward wheels
SOOoooo many choices..... Thanks For all the info!! When I decide on a style I'll be in touch to get them ordered.
Old 12-08-2008 | 03:50 PM
FormerVendor

I agree regarding the knockoff's BUT they are very inexpensive and a solution for some who want to look like the have race wheels. I'm not trying to sound biased here...so I'm offering you a few solutions even though I still feel our Bogart's are the best choice regarding weight, fitment and quality concerns.

I agree regarding swapping parts and having additional cash in the end. Best choice would be to find someone you can swap the spindles with...then just do the trade with the person giving you cash for the upgraded pieces.

Good luck with your car.
Old 01-23-2009 | 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got a lt1 setup that i would swap with ya with a little cash to boot

Quick Reply: Is there any skinny drag style wheels that fit over C5 brakes?