Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

315 tires in 9.5 rings

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Life is Much better than any other DR and so is handling on the street. Now traction they are not as good as other DRs but they work really well at about 16-18 psi and a smokey burn out. I prefer them over BFGs in every way,
Although I want to get some MT ET DRs on Prostars for the track only. On the street they wont last for ****. Maybe 2-3K with a few track days
Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason72g
If you can tell me that fitting a 315 on a 9.5" wheel is an issue that pertains to Fbody's only, then I'll shutup... I've been building a couple of vehicles for 10 years... The fact is, every vehicle has wheels and tires; I don't see how owning my f-body for only 2 months, and only having a couple of mods, is a valid argument... My 72 is more custom than anything you'll ever build.

The Trans Am is a toy that I bought, because I've always wanted one...

Have you ever seen a tire come off a rim as a result of being to wide? Not pretty.
It may not be f-body only, but it comes up a hell of a lot. Not many other rear wheels drive vehicles that are this popular and run a 17x9.5 wheel

Yeah you are right... i dont anything custom at all I mean you see Fbodys with 30k+ in mods and over 900hp on ever street corner. I saw 3 of them at the local starbucks this morning
Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I purchased my car it had Michellin PS2 315's all the way around on the 17x9s, yes fronts too...looked gay...and theres no way Id put a sticky tire on the back that I wanted to launch on that wasnt the correct size. But yes in theory they will work, but I dont like theorys when Im doing over 100 you know? They made a sticky on this for a reason.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 275 GSD3 is about as wide as the 315 Nitto 555r. The 285 GSD3 is more then likely wider.

I don't see the problem. Nitto runs STUPID small. Put a 275 Nitto on their and it will look dumb.

Of course throwing a 315 GSD3 on a stock wheel is just as dumb. My 2c.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to vomit if I see another one of these threads. Single handedly the most reposted and rediscussed topic on this forum, along with "what do I do to fit a 315 on my car". The moderators have made it clear in the stickies that it is not RECOMMENDED to mount a 315 series tires on a 9" or 9.5" wheel. They don't tell you that you can't, or that the earth will turn into a ball of fire if you do, just simply that its not that smart. With that being said, yes...nittos are a very small tire for what they are advertised to be, and yes they will fit on a 9" or 9.5" wheel. If you choose to mount a 315 Nitto to a 9" or 9.5" rim, that's your decision and you're responsible for anything that can or might happen since it IS against manufacturers recommendation. You may drive the life of the tire, get perfect wear, awesome traction and never have a problem...that's awesome! Or you could have a catastrophic blowout that might or might not have to do with mounting a 315 on a 9" or 9.5" wheel. Nobody knows! All the moderators are saying is that it's NOT a topic to be discussed. If a newb hops on this forum and quickly reads through a thread where someone describes how they put a 315 Nitto on a 9" rim and drives the ***** out of their car, and goes out and buys a 315 Mickey Thompson or BFG's (largest 315's) and mounts it to a 9" rim because he read it was okay with a 315 Nitto and then gets in a terrible accident due to tire failure, its going to come back to SOMEONE here on the forum.

Cliff Notes:

CAN it be done? YES
SHOULD it be done? NO, unless you're doing it with nittos and you are willing to go against manufacturer recommendations and assume responsibility for anything that can or might happen.

For what its worth, I'm impartial on this situation. I just chose to do it the right way and put mine on an 11" wheel.

*Stepping off of my soapbox*

Quick Reply: 315 tires in 9.5 rings