Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need a little help picking out the right wheel/tire.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help picking out the right wheel/tire.

I have already checked out the topics while lurking here the past week, but I still feel I should ask for advice, to be on the safe side.

Well, I have the stock chrome 16's with 245's all around. Stock, the traction wasn't too bad for someone who doesn't take their car to the track, but as time went on and bolt on's and later a cam fit my budget, I found myself with with a different beast. You can see where this is going because a lot of you know about it yourselves.

Now, even from rolls, my car can have a tendency to break loose if I decide to dig into it. Stock, lower speeds were a problem but I could control it. It's gotten a bit worse now, so I'll just start with my questions.

1) Would it be a bad idea if I decided to go with larger wheels/tires in the rear, and keep a similar sized tire in the front? I don't drive recklessly around corners, but I don't want my handling to be like that of a car with those tiny street lites in the front. I still drive the car often.

2) How big should I go? As of right now I don't think I'll break into the 400rwhp range anytime soon. I have a tight budget and before my car hits the road again I'm spending my "allowance" on transmission work and these wheels/tires. I would prefer a set of wheels that fits right on with no spacers or fabrication.

3) Are there any good buys online for wheels? I'm looking to save money here, as I do not care for chrome and there are many styles I would like more than what I have now. Open to anything.

I liked these wheels, but unfortunately they are not wide enough to support a 275mm tire. Any input on the company?
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Price

Last edited by Mr.Slow; 06-13-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I were you, I'd upgrade to one of the many 17x9.5" rims that are available, and use a 275/40/17 tire. You'll have about an inch more tread width, it's a known combination that will easily fit without problems, and by keeping the same size all around, you can rotate your tires to even out the wear. Also, that particular set up is the same OD as your original tires were, so your car's computer will remain happy.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

That seems to make good sense. I assume the sidewall height and the wheel diameter are the two variables to consider when you are switching your wheel/tire size when it comes to effecting the mph on the speedo. I can get the car tuned easily to adjust it if I were to go bigger than 17", but of course I'm trying to find a good deal to begin with, and I'd like to keep the wheels light, too.

So, any suggestions for a good wheel site?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

A lot of the decisions of what wheel to buy are based on the look you're after, and how much you want to spend. Some people like to go for the "upgraded factory" look, so the Corvette styled wheels are a popular choice, and rather inexpensive.

Personally, if I'm going to lay out some coin for a new wheel, I want something that's different, so I don't see myself coming and going. Therefore, I look at wheels from Intro, Budnik, CCW, Fikse, HRE, etc, depending on how much "damage" your budget can withstand..........
Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Go to oewheelsllc.com they got alot of different wheels to choose from for our cars. I just ordered mine wensday in a 17/18 setup for $636.60 thats for the rim shipping and for the lugs
Old 06-14-2009, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PONTIACTRANSAM94
Go to oewheelsllc.com they got alot of different wheels to choose from for our cars. I just ordered mine wensday in a 17/18 setup for $636.60 thats for the rim shipping and for the lugs
Thanks for your purchase Pontiactransam94. Please post images when they are mounted and email them to us for our website gallery that will be coming soon.

MrSlow - It's always better to call because we usually have more choices than are displayed on our website. We can also customize your order when you speak to one of our sales technicians. 1-866-273-3651
Old 06-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

I appreciate all of the help. I think I personally like more than half of the Vette styled wheels I've seen. I'm not a fan of anything flashy. I was even considering the 17" WS6 wheels, but they look all too much like my current ones. I'm not a big fan of the polished wheels.

I'll make sure to hit up that site tonight.

EDIT: I'll give the site another look later. I might have to call because as of now there are no wheels available for my car in any size or finish.

EDIT 2: I looked under Corvette and found a lot of choices. http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Corvette-...67431-2-1.html<-- Those be overkill?

Last edited by Mr.Slow; 06-14-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

We are discontinuing that wheel and moving forward with the deep dish rears as seen in my avatar. The fronts will have a smaller lip like their predecesor.

Because of you forum members we can't keep those deep dish ZR1s in stock.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mr.Slow

I liked these wheels, but unfortunately they are not wide enough to support a 275mm tire. Any input on the company?
if you like the wheels buy them and just have them widend
Old 06-15-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by R.E.double.D.
if you like the wheels buy them and just have them widend
It's probably do-able, but certainly not a cheap thing to have done.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mr.Slow
Look again at the link. It says the recommended tire size is 275/40-17 for that wheel. So, if you just want something that you can put 275's on, they'd be perfect for you.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tspence45
Look again at the link. It says the recommended tire size is 275/40-17 for that wheel. So, if you just want something that you can put 275's on, they'd be perfect for you.
Prior to finding this site, I read the sticky thread, which gave the size tires to go with the corresponding wheel width, and read not to exceed it. I assumed it was either a typo, or it would fit poorly and not perform very well. I'm still not too sure.