Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

New drag wheels from Summit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FORTMYERSCAMARO
dont matter if it takes two years saving money but i will never buy stuff made in china
so you don't watch tv or use a computer or a cell phone....all made overseas
Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Who u buy the billet sp wheels from for that price 204.00 and 219.00
Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by procsls6
Who u buy the billet sp wheels from for that price 204.00 and 219.00
Summit on sale
Old 08-12-2009, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bracketracerZ28
are these what you are talking about?
no those aren't it. GO to the top of the thread and look at the pics. thanks.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Teching In

got the fronts in today 15x4, warrior r/t"s....when i weighed them they were only 12lbs!!!
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=276749
Old 08-13-2009, 12:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only 12lbs? That's very heavy if you want to compare it to a drag wheel. I guess you can consider it light when comparing to an OEM 8" wheel...though it’s not 8" wide. So it's still comparing apples to oranges.

It's not a drag wheel for the record. It's a 15" street wheel. If you want to compare it to our LS1 direct fit Bogart drag wheel, you've added 24 lbs on your car vs. using our drag LS1 Bogart wheels.

The scale you're using is not the best way to measure weight. Its resolution is way too high which gives little accuracy.

I keep stating this as some apparently seem to forget or don't realize but just because a wheel is 15", doesn't make it a drag wheel. …Same theory for just because it's a 4" wide wheel...doesn't make every wheel a drag wheel either.

If you like the wheels, that’s what matters. I’m not stating you made a poor choice. You need to be happy with your decisions. I am though clarifying a few things for others who are making wheel choices.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad I held out for my lighter one piece american made drag wheels! Even my 3 piece street wheels are lighter than those!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Only 12lbs? That's very heavy if you want to compare it to a drag wheel. I guess you can consider it light when comparing to an OEM 8" wheel...though it’s not 8" wide. So it's still comparing apples to oranges.

It's not a drag wheel for the record. It's a 15" street wheel. If you want to compare it to our LS1 direct fit Bogart drag wheel, you've added 24 lbs on your car vs. using our drag LS1 Bogart wheels.

The scale you're using is not the best way to measure weight. Its resolution is way too high which gives little accuracy.

I keep stating this as some apparently seem to forget or don't realize but just because a wheel is 15", doesn't make it a drag wheel. …Same theory for just because it's a 4" wide wheel...doesn't make every wheel a drag wheel either.

If you like the wheels, that’s what matters. I’m not stating you made a poor choice. You need to be happy with your decisions. I am though clarifying a few things for others who are making wheel choices.
I never called it a drag wheels though thats what I'm using it souly for. I really wish i could buy a set of wheels from you. Bogart D-10s would look astounding on my car IMO. But I'm not looking to put out that kind of money for 13 second car. Im just posting up the info for others to use, since no one esle has shared this yet.
So far i like the wheels I'm going to test the fit tomorrow and then I'll know for sure.

BTW if you have a pic of D-10s on a late model GTO I would love to see them. I cant seem to find but a few pics on here and the gto forums.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:14 AM
12 Second Club

Nice wheels, thanks for the info... how much do you think the rears weight?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by silvergto115
I never called it a drag wheels though thats what I'm using it souly for. I really wish i could buy a set of wheels from you. Bogart D-10s would look astounding on my car IMO. But I'm not looking to put out that kind of money for 13 second car. Im just posting up the info for others to use, since no one esle has shared this yet.
So far i like the wheels I'm going to test the fit tomorrow and then I'll know for sure.

BTW if you have a pic of D-10s on a late model GTO I would love to see them. I cant seem to find but a few pics on here and the gto forums.
Thanks for sharing the info! Let us know on the rears. When you get pics post them up.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by silvergto115

We don't have many. The GTO drag racing following is rather small (speaking on behalf of our wheels). I've personally seen a few very impressive setups.

I wish we could offer wheels at the pricing of those wheels. At those prices, we'd be paying our customers to take our products.

Please don't misunderstand my comments. I wasn't putting your choice down. I don't want to start a bashing war against you.

I wanted to clarify so others see differences. For your car, the weight savings would have been even greater (due to design difference compared to the LS1 F-body). Using ours over what you have would have been like dropping about 40lbs. This can help you get closer to the 12's. That would correlate to shorter braking distances, better weight transfer, lower stress on the car etc. For the cost difference, people spent allot of money on other aftermarket products to lose that much weight…many times more than the difference in price between our wheels and what you have.

Be careful, you're bolt pattern is incorrect. Though only a small difference…what you're doing is placing higher stress on some studs, less on others. This can lead to premature failure of studs.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Teching In

I test fitted the fronts today. They look alright. The rears still havent come in yet.

Test fit front
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=276931

So far no grinding needed, infact there is pretty of room. The pic really doesnt do it justice.
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=276932
I'll post up the rear fit when the come in. Im still trying to decide which tires to put on the rear. Like I said im using this for a drag only setup, but I still have to drive to the track.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:08 PM
FormerVendor

The GTO should fit rather easily. The caliper overhang is much deeper.

I think the problem you're going to have is the backspace. We set the backspace literally close to 3" to tuck the wheel in the best we can. ...otherwise the wheel will stick out like a sore thumb. The back wheels, we set with a 9" wheel and use about a 7" backspace....up to 7 3/8"
Old 08-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Teching In

yea the rears I ordered are 15x8 with 5.5" BS
Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 PM
FormerVendor

That's not going to tuck very well. You'll be rolling your fender well I'd imagine. I'm not even sure the tire will fit unless its a very small one. Don't mount your tires unless you're sure you like how the wheel is sitting. Once you mount tires, you own the wheels.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

Looking good silver, nice rim
Old 08-18-2009, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

Did you get them rears yet?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ls1Rook
Did you get them rears yet?
Yea I haven't had a chance to try the fitment on the car yet. 15x8 with 5.5" BS weigh 15lbs. On the same bathroom scale, which I know isnt dead acurate but pretty close.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Finally got a chance to test fit the wheels. Good news is they fit well. Bad news is the wheels are scratched up. But summit's customer service is amazing as always. I called them up told them whats going on and a new one is already on the way!

Here's some pix
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=278546

Its gonna have a nice stance!
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=278547

I'm probably going to havta re route this brake line a little bit.
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=278548

I've decided on ordering 275/50 M/T ET street radials on the rear and 26x6 M/T sportsman s/r radials for the front. Hopefully keeping the tire O.D. that close will keep the ABS light from coming on. That way I can drive to and from the track.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:59 PM
FormerVendor

As suggested http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=278547 , the tire is not going to fit well. I'm not sure how you're expecting to fit a tire on there and clear the fender. You'll need fender flares to be legal if you' plan on driving that on the street.

Once you mount that wheel, it's yours. I'd think hard before considering keeping those.

Quick Reply: New drag wheels from Summit?