Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Anyone daily M/T street drag radials?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Do not use the M/T drag radials on your daily driver. They are THE worst tire ever on wet pavement or in rain. I had a set on the back of my '05 C6 one time, because I was too lazy to change them back from a track visit earlier that week. Drove it to work, got caught in one of those scattered showers that only lasts about 2 miles on the highway. I couldn't do more than 30 mph without the car starting to fishtail. Had to drive on the shoulder for at least a mile, while people honked.

Lesson learned. They SUCK when even slightly wet.

Nitto's are the only drag radial I'd recommend for daily use. I've ran them on several cars rain or shine. Just change them when the tread bars are showing or you will also spin out.
Sounds like some good advice....
Old 07-26-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BSmiff
Do you have the new design or the old one?
new design
Old 07-26-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same question? Are these horror stories with the old design or the new radial II? The radial II's look very similar to Nittos so I don't see why the MT's would be worse.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sr71
I have over 3500 miles on my 315 mt's.

as for these rain horror stories, I don't buy into it. I JUST got home from the gym and was caught out in the rain for the first time. I drove 15 miles @ 60 mph home IN THE RAIN with NO problems whatsoever. I even mashed the throttle a couple of times to see if they were going to spin easily. I was surprised how well they hooked in the wet after hearing the above horror stories, especially when you consider that my car has a big converter and 12 bolt with gears and a stiff posi unit. torrential rains and standing water would of course be a different story with the mt's reduced tread depth.

you guys had me scared for no real reason.
well i have 315s also from mt and i was driving about 45mph yesterday trying to get home out of the rain an all of a sudden my car does a 360 for no reason ,luckily i didnt hit anything,mts arent good for the wet pavements or dd.id stick with nittos for dd.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackls1ta00
well i have 315s also from mt and i was driving about 45mph yesterday trying to get home out of the rain an all of a sudden my car does a 360 for no reason ,luckily i didnt hit anything,mts arent good for the wet pavements or dd.id stick with nittos for dd.
That's what I'm afraid of, spinning out and hitting something. In the rain I have a hard time leaving a red light without fish tailing. These tires hook and book on dry pavement like no other but they are the worst when it gets wet. Not to mention they are expensive considering how long they last. I would say for a weekend warrior they are a must have but on a DD no way.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
sorry to jack the thread but somhing about this beautiful piece of machinery caught my eye. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL MAN LOOKS AMAZING!!!

And about the tires. ive been to broke to ever afford either so i cant tell ya. sorry lol
you daily drive on those?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

I daily drive on my 2000 Trans Am... 15X8 Prostars w/ M/T E/T Street (BIAS PLY) And 15X3.5" up front with 165R Raidials soon switching to the M/T Sportmans 8 ply up front. Granted they are pretty much brand new only one track day and about 500 street miles i've driven in the rain up to 55mph and i've been fine.

Quick Reply: Anyone daily M/T street drag radials?