Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Best Setup for a Dragstrip Combo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Setup for a Dragstrip Combo?

I've got the Mcleod Twin disc and hopefully will have a 9"/locker combo coming by spring. With the ability to do some hard dumps (M6) what do you recommend as far as a combo that could yield some 1.7 or so 60's.

Can you do it on Nitto's alone? I've got 2 bald Nittos that I had to remove for inspection reasons (but on my last pass they proved sticky enough to snap an axle so I figure they are primed)

Should I take a stip up to a ET/Street and if so what size rim and tire (brands would kick ***) that won't cost an arm and a leg? I would probably drive the combo to and from the track (20 minute ride) I DON'T want to grind anything in this process.

Thanks for any help with my 60' issues.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe your choices are going to be very limited. I'm not sure what you consider to be an "arm and a leg".

You need to determine what is most important to you. Bogart rims will cost a bit more then other rims but the benefits in my opinion outweigh the costs. To give you an idea, choosing competitors economy priced rims will be like adding approximately 100.00 of weight to your car (rotational mass losses).

It's up to you, is that worth the small additional price for a super-light high quality "show" finish rim?? I see guys purchasing car parts that cost the differences in price of our rims for a tenth of a second.

Since the rims really can add to the character and appearance of a car, in my opinion, the Bogart’s ARE a worthwhile investment. Especially since this is one of the biggest mods that EVERYONE else sees from a physical standpoint (if this is important to you).

Regarding drag radials, they have their place, but won't be near as consistent to an ET street or QTP tire. In addition to the traction gains you'll see, the weight differences is very large....especially since the weight your adding on your rim using a drag radial compared to an ET street is on the furthest point of rims rotating mass which is bad.

Weight loss is a great way of decreasing your times, especially rotational mass. The lighter your car can be, the less stress placed on your drivetrain/engine. This is also something to consider.

My point may seem biased but if I didn't feel so strongly about the Bogart line, I wouldn't have invested so much time an $$ working on them making sure the F-body world has some great choices in rims. Over 1.5 years ago, when I first initiated production with the Bogart line to the F-body world, most F-body guys were like "Bogart who??". Now, it is becoming apparent that the Bogart line is a top contender in many facets of the racing industry.

Good luck on your decisions.

Steve
Old 11-20-2003, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

I guess I'd say an arm and a leg = > 300 a rim. I'm basically thinking I'd keep running the stock rims in the front (for now) but need something that I can either put on and leave on in the rear or get something that I'd only put on at the track.

I am not sure if I like the looks of the drag rims on a daily driver and don't even know if you can or should drive with them on the street.

I know that most of the time I'd be running Nittos on the stock rims in the rear but just wondered what an entry level rim/tire combo would cost.

What size rim will fit with no issues 15,16?? and how wide of a rim?

I do like the bolted RT with the black centers
Old 11-20-2003, 04:58 PM
FormerVendor

I believe you can pick up a set of rears from other manufacture for ~350.00. Your only other choice is a centerline 8 inch rim. I've discussed this previously but the rear BS of that particular rim is set too far outward for our cars and places the wheel in a non-centered position in relation to the fender area. They also are the heaviest drag rims available. Will they fit, sure they will, but in my opinion are not set correctly. Discount tire or summit may be able to help you out.

Our rims are show quality and I would put them up against other high quality show rims...they are that nice. The highly polished surface and workmanship is second to none.

If you would like more personalized help give us a call or e-mail your phone number to us, I would be glad to call and discuss drag rim choices with you. It sounds like you already have answered your initial question with your response though.

Steve
Old 11-20-2003, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

I guess I am trying to weigh out traction vs. $$

Normally when just on the street I'd like to be on at least a Nitto DR. I recently went back to a street tire (Kumho) and they don't have any grip in the rear.

Now when I head down to the track I might be looking at getting a second set of rims/tires and this is where my question comes in. If I could cut a decent time with a set of "salad-shooting" 16"s with a BFG or ET street for 400 total and pull 1.7's then that would be good enough for now. If stepping up to something wider than a stock 16" (10+ inches??) would cut that even more then how much more? The wheels looked good but I would need to know that I'm going to get a decent 60' for 1000+ worth of tire and rims as opposed to the other option.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:39 PM
FormerVendor

I'm not sure I can answer that one for you...I can't guarentee times for you. Typically it seems guys are seeing a .2 to .3 gain going with slicks and skinnies. It's a decision that you are going to have to make. Maybe stick with what you have and just pick up an extra set of rear stock inexpensive rims and put a set of ET streets on it. That should help your 60ft times a bit. I personally like to do something once which will save $$ in the end.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

With enough tire under the car, yes, you can achieve those kinda 60' times.

I have had the Centerline Convo Pros since day one, as my race rim. Now they are my daily street rim. I have cut a best of 1.50 with a ET street. I dont see many guys with the Bogarts & similar combos doing much better than that. The rims are light, and fit without spacers or grinding the calipers. Those are a plus to me.

If you are concerned with mazimizing your combo (lighter rim) & want a great looking rim, and $$ is not a concern, then no doubt, Bogarts are a great rim.

It appears that $$ is an issue. One thing for sure, you wont have any problem selling your rims when & if you decide to upgrade.

Do you have your 9" yet? If not, you may consider having the rear end narowed a bit. It still hooks up to stock mounting points, but by having it narowed you lighten up the rear end (rotational mass) and you greatly improve your selection of rims, as most of them in a 15x10 do not offer the right back spacing for our cars. With a 10" rim, you would be able to put a bigger & wider tire under the car, which will help you achieve the 60's that you are looking for in a street tire. BTW, I suggest the BFG drag tire over the Nitto DR. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:29 PM
Launching!

How narrow? I'm looking at a 9" in the future as well. Not sure what all is out where wheel/tire wise (haven't looked). But was thinking about narrowing the rear. Any ideas what would give the best selection of wheels?
Old 11-24-2003, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

can you narrow a rear from the manufacturer? I was hoping for the straight out bolt up rear.

Yes I'm still struggling to decide how far to go. I like a nice street rim/tire when I'm not racing but for the strip I want something that hooks. I just wish I had the $$ for a nice set of both
Old 11-25-2003, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I went cheap. Bought 16x8 firebird takeoffs from SLP $50 ea. Added 26x10.5x16 ET Streets. Just put them on for the track and I'm pulling 1.7's. You can get lighter for more money, but this is a cost effective way to go. No grinding either.

Old 11-27-2003, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blaSSt
I went cheap. Bought 16x8 firebird takeoffs from SLP $50 ea. Added 26x10.5x16 ET Streets. Just put them on for the track and I'm pulling 1.7's. You can get lighter for more money, but this is a cost effective way to go. No grinding either.

That might just be the route I need to go down for now... I didn't think a 10.5 would fit all that well... No rubbing issues.. I love the idea of no grinding.

j5
Old 11-29-2003, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 10.5 tire is perfect for the 8" rim. No rubbing issues.

Of course my daily driving shoes are 18x10.5 OEM Z06 rims with 295/35/18 tires. Had to clearance for them.

Old 11-29-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

I'm having the spring tower removed & the rear narowed 2", then run a 15x10 rim with a 5" or 5.5" bs.

Yes, Moser & others will take off whatever you want. If you dont remove the spring tower, then you would have to stick with 1.5" off each side. You still may have to do some banging. I'll post up a writeup when I get mine all done. Good luck.