Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

My Toyo Proxes TQ review

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got around to ordering mine today. TiresDirect.net is the only place to have them in stock and hey had a great price on them. I am running the stock size so I will give some input on the 275 40 17's. I am making a little more power than the heads cam guys but it comes in quite a bit different so I'm eager to see how they do. Now I just have to find someone to weld on my LCA relocation brackets, wheel hop has been real bad.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

ordered mine from tiresdirect.net they were on my porch in like two days. got them mounted and balanced today, should be on the car and out this weekend. ill post up a review afterwards. i love how they look though.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
Finally got around to ordering mine today. TiresDirect.net is the only place to have them in stock and hey had a great price on them. I am running the stock size so I will give some input on the 275 40 17's. I am making a little more power than the heads cam guys but it comes in quite a bit different so I'm eager to see how they do. Now I just have to find someone to weld on my LCA relocation brackets, wheel hop has been real bad.
Well I hope you are happy. Thats a decent bit of power, and not that wide of a tire, but I am definitely interested in seeing how these work for guys at your power level.

Originally Posted by jrob56
ordered mine from tiresdirect.net they were on my porch in like two days. got them mounted and balanced today, should be on the car and out this weekend. ill post up a review afterwards. i love how they look though.
Cool man, post up some pictures, and let us know what you think.

I am loving my tire set up now. I just got KDW2's on the front, and have the Toyo's on the back. It handles pretty well, hook great, and does awesome in the rain.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys I am also looking at some back tires.I am sticking with 275/40/17 sizes for now since cant' seem to get any 10.5 chrome TTM been trying for over a year.
I just got a pair of new wide ovals which was thinking to use for front and back and put them on back to try out.Temps are only in the high 40s here right now and those wide ovals are not working at all. I was running some worn down nitto 275/40/17 555R last year and they hooked up usually around middle of third but got paranoid they are not for cold weather and even supposed to be stored pretty much indoors thru winter. They say they can crack up and have seen some pics .

So now thinking maybe should try some toyo tqs out.I do have a pair of et street radials for track and occasional hard core off track play. I don't like the ets super short life and lousy in rain thing so figure the toyos will be better in those areas.I don't expect 20,000 miles 10k would be fine 7 or so would be liveable I guess.
I am at big power though likely have around 600rwhp at lowest boost but will be ramping in the boost by rpm or gear and likely not going much past 800rwhp on street.

I guess these or running the et street radials full time will be my only real choices.

The new nitto 05 are interesting but think very pricey and also can crack up in cold weather.

So should I give these tq a try? Also how much better traction really would going to 315/35/17 be in these over the 275/40/17. Obviously you gain some width but lose some sidewall height.Is it pretty much a wash? It may be a long time before I can even get 10.5 TTM in chrome if they ever actually make them again.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

I love my Toyo DR's, at my level they dead hook on the street. Once in a while a lil chirp and gone on some surfaces but a HUGE improvement over my old Sumi street tires where if the car kicked down to first itd blast them off. And from what I can remember hook better than my hold nitto 555r's. Havent been to the track yet but Itll be the same warmed up.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
So now thinking maybe should try some toyo tqs out.I do have a pair of et street radials for track and occasional hard core off track play. I don't like the ets super short life and lousy in rain thing so figure the toyos will be better in those areas.I don't expect 20,000 miles 10k would be fine 7 or so would be liveable I guess.
I am at big power though likely have around 600rwhp at lowest boost but will be ramping in the boost by rpm or gear and likely not going much past 800rwhp on street.

The new nitto 05 are interesting but think very pricey and also can crack up in cold weather.

So should I give these tq a try? Also how much better traction really would going to 315/35/17 be in these over the 275/40/17. Obviously you gain some width but lose some sidewall height.Is it pretty much a wash? It may be a long time before I can even get 10.5 TTM in chrome if they ever actually make them again.
I wouldn't run them on your car, here's why.
They'll be a bit better in the rain, similar to a Nitto 555R but better than a BFG. You could probably get 8-10k street miles on them, depending on your driving style.
I had these on my 600rwhp 6 speed trans am last fall for a couple months. They'd hook in 3rd and OCCASIONALLY in 2nd if they were warmed up and on good concrete. At the track they were worthless. Couldn't take a launch and wouldn't hook up til 3rd gear. With 600rwhp thru your auto at low boost, I wouldn't expect much from them as far as hooking goes til around 60+ MPH on good concrete, and you'd hate them with 800rwhp. You'd be cussing them in no time and regret spending the money.
If I were you I'd just be patient and get some 10.5" rear wheels so you can run the new style tread 315 MT Radials or keep your 9.5" wide wheels and run the 295/45/17s - they'll do better in the wet than the series 1s, you just have to be careful. But driving with caution is a given on any sort of drag radial when its wet out regardless. I've since sold my 275/40 Toyo drag radials, and will be running a MT radial when I finish the auto swap here soon.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:31 PM

Just wanted to say that this thread has help me make my decision to get the TQ's. I just don't like Nitto car tires and need some stability in rain.

I would like to see a pic of them on a car if anyone has any.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Well am trying them to see for myself. I am not expecting miracle hook on the street with them . Fact have been driving around on firehawk wide ovals and they are ok sure you get spin but some spin on street is actually fun! And really not into driving the et street radials 24/7.

I am going to run the toyos thru this season. Yes I will likely have around 800rwhp max but am going to be using boost ramping by gear on my car so thinking it won't be that bad for traction. Run something like 7.5 first ,10 or 12 second and 15 or whatever third.
Could get smaller gate springs like 5psi if really need to . I also have been playing with torque management and think it actually can act as poor mans traction control. I have no actual traction control ,am looking into racelogic variable traction control. Supposedly been used on like twin turbo vipers with some success.

Anyway as said total hook on street is overrated and a bit boring!
I am not into street racing so dont' much care. Track is another store there want some great hook but have et street radials for the track. I do only have 275/40/17 et street radials but might go to 295/45/17 at some point or even 315s or the 325 /17 m and h here they are actually pretty narrrow. But for that would eventually want to get 10.5 TTM which so far have been super hard to get. Backordered forever it seems.

I will take some pics of the tires on the car likely in next few days as will be getting them mounted on my wheels tommorrow and be throwing them on the car in a day or so.

There may be a bit of learning curve with them. getting them at right pressure. Getting to know how long a burnout they like. But again dont' care if they beat the et streets at track. And being reasonable in rain is nice as do drive my car in rain and don't like to have to avoid it. Going really slow in rain around here is asking to get rearended. People are idiots in my city..Hope to be able to go 60mph like did on even my old nittos. But think my heavy dana 60 might actually help me get traction.
Oh and also traction can also be a function of suspension setup. Torque arm, lower control arms,shock settings etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am a little bit late to respond, but I would like to address MY99TAWS6. Anything less than MT on the street are going to have trouble hooking with 600+RWHP. At 800+RWHP you are going to be having trouble with anything on the street.

With boost-by-gear, and a bit of work getting your suspension set up, you may be able to get the Toyo's to work OK on the street. However, they are not going to be optimal.

Trust used these tires on his 800rwhp-ish car, and was not impressed.

I guess what I am saying is don't expect too much "hookage" out of these tires at your HP level, but you might be able to be decently happy with them if you spend some time getting your set up just right. From my own personal experience, and reading the reviews of others, these tires are going to work well for your average 500 or less RWHP set up, but anything more than that is going to take some effort to work right.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

I got them on the car but weather has sucked super cold and even got some damn snow like 35 degrees out right now.So obviously can't really see how they work.I did get one day of around 60 before the weather went to crap and they did not bad. They were at like 32 psi from tire shop. Obviously these would likely have to be run 20 to 25 street to hook decently I would think.
They did seem better than my nittos even with brief experience with them. As said hope to have three boost ramping options to try shortly by rpm, by time or by gear. Gear I think is most promising for street with rpm maybe close second. Boost by time think might be best at track.
Also experimenting with using my auto torque management around town and that seem to be working not too bad. I have no factory traction control and may try this pricey racelogic one. But don't think be trying it this season.
I do have set of et street radials to use for track and some street but since they suck in rain and I like to drive my car and not worry if its raining out or if get caught in it the toyos made more sense since they supposedly do ok in rain like the nittos . And the toyo are not same compound as nittos.I worry the nittos would crack up in colder temps as I was using them sometimes in around 30 or even colder in spring and early winter. Drive my car from about april 1 to nov 1 and it can get cold up here.But refuse to park it much longer cars were made to be driven!

I also drove around on new firestone wide ovals on back for a few days and while they of course spin off they are maybe a good thing to keep a person from being tempted to hammer on it all the time on the street. I don't street race but do like to get on it sometimes in the city. Actually a tire that dont' spin could help by not attracting as much attention but sometimes it is fun to have no traction too. 100 foot long plus burnouts from 40mph like did the other day with the firestones in front of this tailgating mustang guy were pretty big fun and for some reason he didn't want to play with me after seeing that demo although really that just showed no way my car could hook on normal street tires..
Other option out is of course the new nitto 05 drag radials as maybe a 24/7 tire but since they are same type r I think as the 555R then they should also be not so good in colder temps and maybe would crack up like the tires shown on nittos website.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE

These tires are still holding up pretty well at ~7000 miles. I would say I have 2-3000 miles left on them. They still do okay on wet roads, but their tractions in the rain is not nearly as impressive as it was when they were newer. I have to be a little bit more careful when it's slick, but I still feel pretty safe.

As far as dry traction, they spin a little bit in first gear when cold, where as I could nail it anywhere in first gear hooking hard when they were new. However, if I heat them up they are impressive from a dig, probably a little more so than when they were new.

I definitely plan on buying another set when these are done.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like you are decently happy MY99TAWS6. I definitely think boost by gear is your best bet. Obviously you really need to limit your boost level in 1st, and a little bit in 2nd gear.

It sounds like you have realistic expectations, and because of that I think you should be happy with the Toyo's.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

I actually think may be onto something with using the auto torque management . I can override it instantly at track as have hooked up performance shift function which is hidden in the ls1 ecu. It was there in the lt1 tas which had the switch. So simply program no torque management when in performance mode.You can of course set the level of torque management where you want it with my hptuners.

For stick guys an add on traction control setup like racelogics might be best option. But wouild like to hear from a few more guys that are running the setup.Its not cheap add on.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I just got my 315/35/18's mounted on the DD c5 wheels, and just on the street, these tires rock. I've heated them up and done a couple digs on a street, and they are good to me for a cam only. I know they aren't MTs, but I bet they'll be decent at the track
Old 03-06-2011, 03:36 AM
Staging Lane

Trying to decide on these, will the 315 fit on a TT2.1 thats 10 inches?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

They don't seem to work too good on my car but have 275/40/17 size talking on the street. This was last year with my 408 and boost at 7.5psi lowest could set it.
I tried airing them up or down and they didn't hook at all. I also have set of et street radials in 275/40/17 that will try out this spring. The toyo might work good in a lower power maybe under 500rwhp type setup. Nitto 555r was also pretty useless on my car too had them for awhile. I am bit tempted to try the new nitto 05R maybe next time around after the toyos are burnt up some more.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

glad i came across this thread. i should be making about 480rwhp 430rwtq through an m6 in a few months with the addition of 4.10s. looking for a tire that will last 10-15k with some fun street driving. so do these tires run wide an add a little bulge on 17x11? pricing is right up my alley from the link in this thread. what's the cheapest find thus far?

any updates fellas?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

UPDATES?

I know I am raising this thread from the dead but I need new tires and this was the first thread on the Toyo Proxes I came across....

I currently have these on my ws6, and have been EXTREMELY HAPPY with them. I bought the car with them on and they only had about 40% life left. I mean there are no "wear indicators" but the tread was already completely gone in the middle and about 60% gone on the outer edges.

These HOOOOOOK!

They DEFINITELY need to be ran at 20psi and warmed up though...

I have put about 3,000 miles on these in the past year I have owned her, and done 2 John Force burnouts, and they still look like they could go another 1,000 miles and have enough for one more good burn!

I just feel VERY unsafe driving in cold and wet conditions currently, and need new tires.

So, have you guys found a cheaper price anywhere?

Any new complaints?

Have you found a BETTER DR?

How are the BFG g force's?

I will be looking up more threads but I thought the answers to these questions would be of value to others as well.

THANKS!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Got my 315/35/17's today and yes they are alittle wider than my old 555r's and I hope they hool better... Traction was non exhistant in 1st gear and 2nd... With 3.55's.. So id hate to see what my 4.10's will do when I install them
Old 02-14-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1nasty86
Got my 315/35/17's today and yes they are alittle wider than my old 555r's and I hope they hool better... Traction was non exhistant in 1st gear and 2nd... With 3.55's.. So id hate to see what my 4.10's will do when I install them
How much did you get the pair for?
I plan on getting a pair right after I'm done breaking in my clutch.

Quick Reply: My Toyo Proxes TQ review