Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Horrible experience with Sumitomo tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire was well maintained and properly inflated.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

I have been running Sumitomos for years now. I use my car as a DD and they perform great for my purposes. They last me 25K miles a shot. I suggest you contact the dealer/manufacturer.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how long did you drive on it after it blew?

looks like a defect to me. hearing about defective one tire blowing out is enough to deter me from using a tire. especially after seeing the pictures. they're like roaches - one here, a few hundred thousand you never hear about. you have to figure their quality control allows for a certain percentage of defective tires to hit the streets. however, in the last couple days, you read about two sumitomo tires blowing out on this forum. it could be a fluke, but i wouldn't take the risk myself.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sumitomos arent ****. The HTRZ III is a hell of a tire. You have the II.

Tires blow all the time, just cause one Sumitomo HTRZ II blows doesnt mean they are all ****.
I see this **** all the time, michelins blow, MT blow, nittos blow. **** happens, and you dont know for sure what even caused the blowout.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Default formula vincent

i feel your pain brother i had a bridgestone tire do the same thing on my
87 formula back in 95 with about 5 k on it . and it was bought from the
tire rack . i was sent a replacement.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

i have them on my car now and although i do like them for long highway drives because they're a hard tire and they're not hugging every grove like my bald eagle F1's use to but they are awful as far as a performance tire. i think the only way you win is if you have these tires for pple who do long distance driving an then swap out to their other shoes an tires. btw, my bald eagle F1's had more traction then the sumo's. i have 7k on my sumo's now. not my DD but it is now because the beater is down
Old 11-09-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Am I the only one who doesn't fully believe him about checking tire pressure every other day? I give mine a once over, but I don't go around with a tire gauge every other day...

Unless you KNOW your tires leak down...
Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimo
And for the record, the HTR Z3 was tested favorably against tires far more expensive by the tire rack.. even *gasp* the GS-D3's that this board gushes on (if you extrapolate by comparing the 2 identical tires in both tests)...
I have had Sumitomo HTR ZIII and Dunlap Direzza Z1 Star Specs after my GS-D3's.

I prefer both of those to the goodyears to be dead honest. The Direzza's are fantastic.

I have had a good experience with the sumitomos though as well - I don't think this is anything more than a random occurrence that happens with every tire brand...
Old 11-09-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know this is kinda off topic
but i did blow out both of my nitto's once on the highway 5 am..
alone. very fun experience.

But i think it might be low tire pressure why they blew out
i felt the car vibrate so i slowed down to 25.... (was going 60)
and going around 25 BAM they blew. my car and rim are safe tho.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Never had an issue w/ mine, about 5k miles so far.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive had 2 sets of sumitomo,and 1 set of kumho,wouldnt trade half worn sumitomo for new kumhos they suck,had htrz 2 burned them down for 2 years on the road they lasted a long time,kumhos didnt last a year,rant over...the tire in the pic was run low on air weather it was your fault or not period,or maybe you drove it 10 miles after it blew out?? but sumitomo tires are good tires for me thats for sure!!
Old 11-15-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
how long did you drive on it after it blew?

looks like a defect to me. hearing about defective one tire blowing out is enough to deter me from using a tire. especially after seeing the pictures. they're like roaches - one here, a few hundred thousand you never hear about. you have to figure their quality control allows for a certain percentage of defective tires to hit the streets. however, in the last couple days, you read about two sumitomo tires blowing out on this forum. it could be a fluke, but i wouldn't take the risk myself.
well if that is how you fell then ill tell you which tiress to stay away from, michelin, bfg, goodyear, bridgestone, firestone, kumho, continental, yokohama, mickey tompson, nitto, perrelli.... there is no company out there that can make every single tire perfect... he just got un-lucky... i understand he is mad but working a tire shop my self and hearing people like him saying that these tires are unsafe for the road and they're structual integrity is horrible... like i said i understand your mad i would be too... only thing you can do is see what tire rack says... sumitumo does not owe you anything... you bought a 80 dollar tire, i have ran sumi's on my car before my friend has had them on his for 3 years and not a single prob. like other people said from the photos it could have been that you ran over a nail it was leaking while you were driving and you didnt know unless you have tpms on your car which i know you dont, tire got too low get the heat ring on your sidewall the steel belts seperate and bam... thats all it takes... sorry to hear that, that happened to you but be happy your ok and everything will work out...
Old 11-15-2009, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
that tire has severe runflat damage. you either had a small puncture in the tire or a leaking valve stem that caused the tire to lose air pressure while you were driving. this is what causes the worn ring on the sidewall of the tire that you see in this picture

next step after the ring forms is the sidewall blows out. granted while i do think that sumitomo's are some of the absolute worst quality tires on the market, your issue is a road hazard not a defect
Bingo... hate to say it but that tire was driven on with really low air pressure. It may have been low before you drove it that day..... or you may have picked up a nail driving it that day.... hell it could have been the valve stem. Valve stems dry rot too and can leak. There are many scenarios that could have led to that blowout.

I also work at a shop and Ive seen this very thing many many times... its very hard to work with a customer that doesnt know what does and can happen to a tire. Most of the time they are SO convinced that its a tire defect that theyll refuse to buy another tire of the same brand. IMO its ignorance.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

I can assure you guys they were never driven on pressure lower than 34psi. Never said I checked every day but I can tell when a tire is under inflated. It was side wall deterioration that caused this. Sumitomo replaced both rears free of cost, so there ya go.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man some tires just suck. I have sumis before and they were ok, but I have some maxxis tires on my audi, and it seems when they are cold they always feel out of balance. No more cheapos for me lol
Old 11-15-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was a kid I busted tires for a living. That sidewall was ground down by underinflation, not vapourization.

Lend your car to anyone?

Doesn't matter now, glad you got your problem resolved and didn't get hurt.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by phirepower
I can assure you guys they were never driven on pressure lower than 34psi. Never said I checked every day but I can tell when a tire is under inflated. It was side wall deterioration that caused this. Sumitomo replaced both rears free of cost, so there ya go.
The low pressure issue may have happened while you were driving the same day it blew out.

The only sidewall deterioration that happened was when it went low on pressure. Ive seen it time and time again.... that pic is classic case of it. Not trying to argue with you but you need to understand that this was not a tire defect.... its the result of low pressure while driving.

They replaced the tires for PR reasons... not because they were defective.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Ok guys whatever you say
Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phirepower
Ok guys whatever you say
Listen to the proffesionals on here.

Sumitom gave you 2 tires cause the cost them what maybe 60 dollars to make, they dont care theyd rather give a customer 2 tires and make them happy, then having them talk bad about their company because the consumer is ignorant and to stubborn to listen to people that do this for a living.

Apparently your not too unhappy with them cause you didnt hesitate to put two new ones back on the car. Seems to me like you wanted something for free when you didnt deserve it, unless you purchased a road hazard package.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Ya I paid for road hazard. Christ I put this up so that you guys wouldn't end up buying these and sharing the fate I did. It could have cost me the car. Whatever next time I want to post anything helpful I'll just second guess it.

Trying to help, I guess that makes me an ignorant *****, and getting free tires because I was smart and bought hazard protection makes me an ******* who doesn't deserve them.

Quick Reply: Horrible experience with Sumitomo tires