Nitto DR's
57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Nitto or Toyo DR opinions....come in!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Nitto or Toyo DR opinions....come in!

Well guys last thing I gotta get before spring rolls around is wrapping my 17x9.5 c6zo6's in some rubber and I cant decide which way to go.

I know the Nitto DRs have been known to last the longest and have pretty good traction. I had a used set on my car when it was stock and got about 6k miles out of them if not more. They do run narrower though and looked goofy from time to time imo. I dont think running either in the rain will be a problem and they are pretty close in price with Toyo being a little cheaper.

Guess Im looking for a comparison between the two

Average mileage:
Your setup and how well they hooked up:

Im bolt ons with some suspension phb, lca's, and relo brackets.

Lets hear what you think, thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told you in another thread... Toyo!

Don't have them but once I sell my current wheels and get new rims, those are going on the rears for sure!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Toyo's, and absolutely love them. Wet traction is unbelievable for a drag radial. Dry traction is great as well. Best DD drag radial available in my opinion, but I haven't tried the new Nitto DR's.

Average Mileage: I only have 4k miles on mine, but they seem to be doing really well.

Your set up and how well they hooked up: My car is full bolt on, MS3 cam, stock suspension, 315/35/17 Toyo's. I have not taken my to the track with them yet, but they do really well on the streets.

If you are looking for a nice sticky tire, that you can drive around safely on in bad weather, buy these. You will have no trouble hooking up with these in a bolt on car.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

what Nitto DR's are thinking of going with exactly? NT555R vs Toyo TQs or NT05R vs Toyo TQs?

I lost sleep over this same decision and I went with the NT05R (ordered but not on my car yet. they'll be on my car next week!).

I have a questions for you...What tires are you running up front? I need front tires too and the Toyo TQ does not have a tire pair I can use for the front. The Toyo T1Rs or Toyo Proxy 4's arent anything like it. The Nitto NT05R does; the NT05. My plan is to run NT05 up front and NT05Rs out back. Same design on the tire itself, one is just a drag radial The NT05R essentially is simple; it is sex wrapped in soft rubber. I wanted to stay with Toyo since on my BMW I had Toyo T1Rs and they were amazing but if I need 4 tires and I have the possibility of have better aesthetics then that's what I will go with. Both great tires though, they are owned by the same company (just like Michelin and BFG) so you quality it top notch!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 345/30/17 Toyo on my T/A and they sucked, M/T were 10x better. I can't speak for Nitto though, but the new DR looks promising.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its a very simple answer, you just need to ask your self if you want less grip/more life or more grip/less life. if you want more grip, the Toyos, NT 05 Rs or Mickeys are for you. If you want more life, any R compound from Nitto will work for you.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wheres the cheapest place to get MT ET streets? for a 18X10.5" wheel, only place i can find they are $300 for a 305/35/18
Old 02-05-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Juicy J
I have Toyo's, and absolutely love them. Wet traction is unbelievable for a drag radial. Dry traction is great as well. Best DD drag radial available in my opinion, but I haven't tried the new Nitto DR's.

Average Mileage: I only have 4k miles on mine, but they seem to be doing really well.

i like this, what would you guess you can get out of them? 8-10K?

Your set up and how well they hooked up: My car is full bolt on, MS3 cam, stock suspension, 315/35/17 Toyo's. I have not taken my to the track with them yet, but they do really well on the streets.

If you are looking for a nice sticky tire, that you can drive around safely on in bad weather, buy these. You will have no trouble hooking up with these in a bolt on car.
this is what i like to hear

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
what Nitto DR's are thinking of going with exactly? NT555R vs Toyo TQs or NT05R vs Toyo TQs?

I lost sleep over this same decision and I went with the NT05R (ordered but not on my car yet. they'll be on my car next week!).

I have a questions for you...What tires are you running up front? I need front tires too and the Toyo TQ does not have a tire pair I can use for the front. The Toyo T1Rs or Toyo Proxy 4's arent anything like it. The Nitto NT05R does; the NT05. My plan is to run NT05 up front and NT05Rs out back. Same design on the tire itself, one is just a drag radial The NT05R essentially is simple; it is sex wrapped in soft rubber. I wanted to stay with Toyo since on my BMW I had Toyo T1Rs and they were amazing but if I need 4 tires and I have the possibility of have better aesthetics then that's what I will go with. Both great tires though, they are owned by the same company (just like Michelin and BFG) so you quality it top notch!

i havent even seen these and complicates the decision even more...i was referring to the old one

as for the fronts they came with the wheels and honestly off the top of the head have no idea cuz im at school and not where i can look. the matching thing doesnt bother me at all its just whatever i can get my hands on lol.

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
its a very simple answer, you just need to ask your self if you want less grip/more life or more grip/less life. if you want more grip, the Toyos, NT 05 Rs or Mickeys are for you. If you want more life, any R compound from Nitto will work for you.
ya thats hard to decide lol. i know the mickeys have no life but am getting mixed reviews from threads on the Toyos's. if the toyos were between the two id def go with that!

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I had a 345/30/17 Toyo on my T/A and they sucked, M/T were 10x better. I can't speak for Nitto though, but the new DR looks promising.
I can see them not working on that car at all, **** i know the old Nittos would be like running a street tire! lol
Old 02-05-2010, 04:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

im looking at a set of nittos.. i plan on running there 285/35/18. i dont think toyo makes that size in DR.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where's the best deal for 555R's? Toyo's are so cheap, look mean as hell, and aside from Trust's review I've heard nothing but good about them.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

If comparing the 555R's, id go with Toyos. If comparing the NT05R's. Nitto hand down.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

I don't have a bad thing to say about my Toyo's, yet. I've only got about 250 miles on them, and those miles have been engine brake in. I jumped on it the last time I had it out and in 2nd it spun for about a sec then hooked.

I've always like Nitto's. For a street tire you can't really find a better deal (mileage, dry traction, wet traction). Sooner or later I am going to get my Fikse's widened to 11's in the rear and narrowed to 8's up front and when I do I will run a NT05R in the rear and a NT05 in the front. I'm **** and like things to match.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Teching In

nitto ftw
Old 02-05-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I LOVE MY NITTO'S!!!!!! A really good tire for DD and performance wise. I have almost the exact same bolt on's and I DEAD HOOKED They have lasted me about 14k or more miles so far. They need to be replaced soon though
Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

nittos site says the old ones 555r have better dry performance actually, but the new ones are only down a little but much better wet performance and quietness.

getting 14k out of the old nittos sounds pretty tempting, chriss's point on cheap and mean is a good one too though...keep the reviews coming guys!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrob56
nittos site says the old ones 555r have better dry performance actually, but the new ones are only down a little but much better wet performance and quietness.

getting 14k out of the old nittos sounds pretty tempting, chriss's point on cheap and mean is a good one too though...keep the reviews coming guys!
I think you may have looked at the NT05 not the NT05R. Here is a link to the competition tire comparisons. http://nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent05r%2Ecompare
Old 02-06-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ThaBirdWS6
I think you may have looked at the NT05 not the NT05R. Here is a link to the competition tire comparisons. http://nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent05r%2Ecompare
haha you sir are correct, so the new one is def stickier than the old 555r but worse in the rain they say. im curious if nto5r still runs narrow?? because the fact that the toyo is more true to its size and cheaper might win out here.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Ive got 315 555R on the back of the camaro right now but would love to try the new nitto DR
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrob56
haha you sir are correct, so the new one is def stickier than the old 555r but worse in the rain they say. im curious if nto5r still runs narrow?? because the fact that the toyo is more true to its size and cheaper might win out here.
Well every now and then i will hear that nitto only runs smaller in the 17" sizes which i can believe since i have the 17" nt555rs and 18" nt05s and the nt05's are a pretty big 295 while the nt555rs are a small 275. But im in the same boat as you, i think toyo looks the most promising performance wise but the nt555r is probably a better pick for me since i rarely go to the track and DD, but i am also considering the bfg because i think the tread looks killer! just my .02
Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ThaBirdWS6
Well every now and then i will hear that nitto only runs smaller in the 17" sizes which i can believe since i have the 17" nt555rs and 18" nt05s and the nt05's are a pretty big 295 while the nt555rs are a small 275. But im in the same boat as you, i think toyo looks the most promising performance wise but the nt555r is probably a better pick for me since i rarely go to the track and DD, but i am also considering the bfg because i think the tread looks killer! just my .02
ya sounds like we are in about the same boat, i want to be able to hook on the street when i want to too, part of the reason im leaning towards trying out the toyo. have a couple cars that want to run in the spring and ones awd lol. then if im disappointed ill make the change next winter.

Quick Reply: Nitto or Toyo DR opinions....come in!