Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

When are tubes necessary with ET Streets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When are tubes necessary with ET Streets?

I was going to have my ET Streets mounted on my race wheels, but someone brought tubes to my attention and I really never thought about it. Do I need to have tubes in it? What are the purposes of having them? Are there any drawbacks or danger running ET Streets without tubes? If I do need them, where could I pick them up at? Is there a particular size or code/number that I need for the ET Street? Are there any pluses with running tubes? Lastly, when I do get them mounted, do I need to balance them? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you very much.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure what the main purpose would actually be BUT this is the reason I am gunna put mine in.

I like to run low tire pressures(12psi and under) and sometimes the tires will actually slip on the wheel at that low of a pressure SOOO I guess you'll need to put SCREWS in the wheels to hold them and I am sure that would mess up the way the tire seals. not too sure though. My tubes are going in as soon as I get my lazy *** around to drilling my wheels for the screws.

Josh S.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never ran tubes in mine. Had screws in my 10.5's.

I could see using them if you get a puncture..

BTW: MT recommends that you use them.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

I really didnt want to drill holes in my wheels, so does that mean I cant lower my pressure that low? How much can I lower them to get good traction and not have to worry about the wheel slipping? How does having a tube inside an ET Street have anything to do with how low you can go with the air pressure? Correct me if Im wrong, but whether you have a tube in or not, if you go too low, youre going to have to put screws in regardless if you dont want the wheel to spin right? My car isnt going to see anything faster than 11s, so do I need to worry about the tire slipping at all? I just wanted to go get my tires mounted on my rims, and I wanted to bring up the tube issue and see what you all think before I did so. What are the advantages and disadvantages of not running a tube and then running a tube?

If my tires were puntured, you cant fix the tire themselves? (plug it or patch it) Or you would have to install a tube? So what are the purposes of using tubes beside the puncture issue? Again...sorry for all the questions, I just wanted to put 'em up at one time so that I dont drag this thread out. Thanks
Old 12-27-2003, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Here's my plan with my ET Streets.

No tubes until there's a nail in my tire. Then, tubes.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Well...I dont plan to run them regularly on the street, maybe just around town. Hopefully, in that time that I am running in town, I dont get a nail. However, if I do get a nail, then tubes it is! Are tubes the only solution to an ET Street having a puncture? Can you plug them like you could a regular tire? Is there any other reason why tubes are recommended besides the puncture issue? I just want to do it right the first time...should I get my tires mounted with or without tubes? Lets say that I dont install tubes, will I still be able to lower my air pressure enough to get good traction? My car is by no means a 9 or 10 sec. car...so do I need to worry less about that issue? What should I do, thanks.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

If memory serves, wrinkling tires eventually destroy tubes, but if wrinkling breaks the bead seal, a tubeless tire goes flat. Pick your poison.

Mark the tire and rim and start dropping the pressure while watching for slippage. If you get to the pressure you want without it, fine. If not, you have to consider screwing the tires down.

I don't remember tubes having anything to do with whether you screw the tires on or no.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

So does using tubes have anything to do with whether the rim slips on the tire or not? I think that Im going to go ahead and not use the tubes, I dont think Im running fast enough for the rim to slip on the tire. However, if my tire ever gets punctured, do I have to install a tube, or can I patch or plug it as you could a regular tire? I fully understand what you were explaining, but Im still not seeing what a tube is for or recommended? Thanks everyone so far for all the help.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

If you do not run tubes they will probably leak down slowly. If you are not going to run them all the time you should be fine without the tubes. Just check the pressure when you put them on the car and inflate as necessary.

Brad
Old 01-01-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

At the speed you plan to run, you'll be fine with no tubes. I've ran them with no tubes for 3 years now, with no issues, other than having to keep an eye on the tire PSI.

However, now that I am in the 9's, I'm def going to screw the rims, and I'm thinking about the tubes. Safety is becoming more of an issue.