Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Bogart Wheels and M/T Tires - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 09:44 PM
TR
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bogart Wheels and M/T Tires - Suggestions?

With a lot of help from Steve at SJM Manufacturing today (Thanks!!!), I ordered a set of Bogart P1 Drag-on Star 2 wheels in 15x4 and 15x10.

I was really worried about going with 10" wheels in the back, but Steve explained that with the 7.5" backspacing on these wheels they will tuck into the fenderwells nicely. He also told me that he has sold several sets of these wheels to LS1Tech members so I thought I'd come here and get your feedback and suggestions.

Car Info: 2001 Camaro SS, lowered 1.25" (Hotchkis springs), brakes are Baer Eradispeeds on all 4 corners with Hawk pads.

Question #1: Do these wheels clear the calipers? I am hoping to not have to do any grinding on the calipers. I was told that with my brake setup it is hit-and-miss when it comes to caliper clearance.

Question #2: I'm thinking of going with 26x11.5-15 ET Streets in the back. is this a good size or can I go up to 12.5's? I'm concerened about rubbing and I really do not want to have to cut the lip on the fenders.

Question #3: For the front tires I'm looking at M/T ET Fronts in 26x4.5-15, any thoughts on these?

Question #4: I understand that these wheels are designed for the racetrack, but how will they do in very limited street use? I have a feeling that they can be bent quite easily...

Thanks in advance for any input you may have!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TR
With a lot of help from Steve at SJM Manufacturing today (Thanks!!!), I ordered a set of Bogart P1 Drag-on Star 2 wheels in 15x4 and 15x10.

Question #1: Do these wheels clear the calipers? I am hoping to not have to do any grinding on the calipers. I was told that with my brake setup it is hit-and-miss when it comes to caliper clearance.

Question #2: I'm thinking of going with 26x11.5-15 ET Streets in the back. is this a good size or can I go up to 12.5's? I'm concerened about rubbing and I really do not want to have to cut the lip on the fenders.

Question #3: For the front tires I'm looking at M/T ET Fronts in 26x4.5-15, any thoughts on these?

Question #4: I understand that these wheels are designed for the racetrack, but how will they do in very limited street use? I have a feeling that they can be bent quite easily...

First off, Congrats, you just bought an awesome set of wheels from a great Sponsor!

1. No, no grinding needed.

2. You'll have no problems with that tire.

3. Great tire, I just bought a pair myself.

4. I don't see it being a problem for limited street use. Just try to avoid bumps, potholes and curbs.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. That's what's on my Bogarts.

26x11.5 ET Streets. Work well!

ET Streets are fine for limiter street use. Just don't go cruising in the rain
Old 01-15-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TR

#1. I had to do alittle bit of shaving only on the drivers front, probably not rims fault.

#2. 11.5's will be fine, i wouldnt go 12.5

#3. i went with the moroso's 4" becuz they are the same type of tire as the rears so that way i dont get any drifting in the back.

#4. if you go with the et fronts they will be fine for the street, but i went with the morosos and there not for street use, but i drive it everywhere with them on there even all the way to c-bad.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your positive comments!

Troy,

I left a message on your machine to discuss any additional concerns you may have. Feel free to call me back and I will be glad to help!

Steve
Old 01-15-2004, 02:34 PM
TR
On The Tree

Steve,

Thanks again for all your guidance and help, I really appreciate it! If anyone is thinking about a set of Bogarts for their f-body, be sure to give Steve @ SJM Manufacturing a call first. I initially called Bogart directly for info on these wheels but they referred me to Steve saying that he knows more about Bogart wheels (EDIT: for late-model f-body cars, that is) than they do!

Everyone,

Thanks to everyone else for the comments and suggestions. I think at my power level the 11.5's will be plenty of tire.

Last edited by TR; 01-15-2004 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:54 PM
FormerVendor

Your welcome, I'm glad that we could be of assistance.

I can't take all the credit, the Bogart family knows how to produce a quality rim. I surely wouldn't want to underplay their knowlege. They make sure that building is done accuratly with safety and performance in mind.

Since they manufacture rims for MANY custom applications, they cannot off-the-cuff tell which components work with every car application. Orders on ocasion are custom made to our(and others) requests. They will be built to those specifications needed with sometimes Bogart not knowing the EXACT caliper/rotor/brake/car combo...

I head up the F-body/Bogart market, I am their front man for working out solutions to the many types of F-body (and other) combo's:-)...Typically if there is an F-body fitment question, I may offer a quicker more reasonable solution...

As a team, we both work on producing fine products for the F-body market. I'm sure that Bogart meant to say that I can assist with fitment issues and questions regarding the rims for the F-body, not that they aren't as familiar with their rims as I am :-)

Steve
President
SJM Mfg, Inc.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:07 PM
TR
On The Tree

Thanks for clarifying that, Steve. I certainly was not trying to imply that Bogart did not know their own product.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Steve, i was wondering if Bogart would make some 18" skinnies for the front b/c i need them to clean my 14" front rotors and my brembo callipers. Also do you make a 16x10 rear?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:57 PM
FormerVendor

To date, there is no plan of an 18inch rim. I would say offhand, there would be little/if any tire choices for a skinny 18.

We do manufacture a P1 drag 16x10, I would not recommend it for your application. Higher x-sectional stresses are placed on the centers so I would advise this particular rim to be defintily used ONLY on the track.

It appears you have more of a road racing setup. With road racing in mind, you may consider the road race series rims as they provide larger diameters as well as able to withstand greater stresses for this type of environment. Obviously, the rims aren't as light as the drag racing series but may provide a good alternative in addition to weight saving considerations. They are still very light (depending on the build BS and other variences they will be ~15 lbs). A typical setup for our cars utilize a 17x6 front and a 16x10 rear.

I hope this helps,

Steve
Old 01-15-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info but do you make a 17" then? These will be strictly for the track so i am not concerned with the street drivability
Old 01-15-2004, 09:25 PM
FormerVendor

The smallest 17 inch road race rim manufactured is a 17x5.5. A 14 inch rotor is a pretty large rotor to work around...not to mention the caliper overhang.

The largest drag race P1 rim manufactured is a 16 inch.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:15 AM
TR
On The Tree

Default Update: Here They Are!!!

Ok, I finally received my tires and got everything mounted. I bolted them on this afternoon:

The wheel & tires sizes as recommended by Steve @ SJM fit perfectly just like he said they would (my car is lowered 1.25") and as you can see, the wheels look great! Looking back, next time I may get a wheel style that has a little more pizzaz, but I wanted wheels that are really easy to clean and to keep clean.

I ordered these wheels on their reputation, I had never really had a good look at them or knew much at all. When the wheels arrived, I was very pleasantly surprised at the apparent quality and crafstmanship, they are really nicely done and are LIGHT!

The fitment is great, the ET Streets are 11.5x26x15, the backspacing on these wheels pull those wide tires into the wheelwells perfectly.

Caliper clearance: If you don't do what I did (had the wheels/tires balanced, the weights just barely hit the caliper, I have to do just a touch of grinding after all), they will clear the stock calipers & rotors just fine.

If you are considering a set of wheels, be sure to talk to Steve @ SJM Maunufacturing. His expertise and communcation are excellent and shipping was very timely. The only "delay" was just waiting for Bogart to make the back wheels which only took about 6-7 business days.

Thanks again, Steve!

Last edited by TR; 02-16-2004 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They look awesome, TR! I hope to see your car one day as I cruise down the 405.

I just spent pratically the whole day with Steve going back and forth via email (and it's Sunday too - sorry Steve). Just ordered another set of Bogarts for my daily driving - 16x7 Road Racing RR10's for the front and 15x9.75 P1 D10's for the rear. Should be a great combo - I can't wait to get them. Now I just have to wait for the MT Drag Radials to come out!

Thanks again for all your help Steve!
Old 02-16-2004, 01:52 AM
TR
On The Tree

Well, unless we are hooking up to go to the CBad or Fontana drags, you will most likely see me in my Harley F-150 since that is my daily driver. If you are looking for a set of drag wheels/tires and want to meet up and have a look at these in person, just let me know and we'll set something up.

I really like those RR10's also and was thinking about going for a set of them for regular diriving, but I'm not a big fan of the bolts on the rim (do NOT tell me that the bolts are optional, pleeeease!!!), too much of a PITA to clean.

Last edited by TR; 02-16-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think the bolts on the RR10's are optional. I had to ask Steve to have the bolts added to the D10's. I really like that look. For the track, I have the welded RTs & matching skinnies. They are a great looking wheel. I'm sure I'll get a lot of tooth brush time in cleaning the bolts on the D10's... It'll be worth it, though!