Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Pics of GTO spares/skinnies on fbodys wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Pics of GTO spares/skinnies on fbodys wanted

Just as the title says. I'm wanting to know what they look like on an Fbody. I can pick up a pair from a guy locally for $50. Thought i'd run them as skinnies but i was curious what they would look like. I know they sit more inside the wheel well and i was hoping for pics with some spacers used also. Thanks!

Last edited by 01SOMZ28; 07-16-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awww man! I had this exact setup for tonight but it rained so I never threw them on! Awesome, maybe in a few weeks. but I don't think you should run on the spare tire, the rims would be okay i'd think
Old 07-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01SOMZ28
Just as the title says. I'm wanting to know what they look like on an Fbody. I can pick up a pair from a guy locally for $50. Thought i'd run them as skinnies but i was curious what they would look like. I know they sit more inside the wheel and i was hoping for pics with some spacers used as well. Thanks!
It's the incorrect bolt pattern and the tires are not meant to be used at high speeds. It's probably not very light either as most are steel rims.

Be careful.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ I think that's what people do as a cheap alternative. You make it sound dangerous though
Old 07-15-2010, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJMMFGINC
It's the incorrect bolt pattern and the tires are not meant to be used at high speeds. It's probably not very light either as most are steel rims.

Be careful.

Good luck!
not the right bolt pattern? People run them on vettes all the time. And i wouldn't be running them on the stock tire. M&H makes a 26x4.5x17 tire to fit these.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Launching!

This is not for argument sake, if you feel comfortable with what you’re doing, so be it. At least for the others reading and learning…they understand what they are getting into. I know I won’t race next to a car that is setup as such. I’m not even sure if the track would approve as it’s probably stamped for low speeds.

It doesn't matter who runs them and how many run them. It's the incorrect pattern of which you remove even distribution of pressure on the studs. This increases the chance of a stud failing as well as increasing the chance of the lugs loosening thus possibly creating a driving hazard.

Furthermore, the wheel is designed to be used as a spare for low speeds and low duration of use. I don’t know what the weight of the wheel is offhand, but if it’s steel, you’re not really gaining anything from a rotational standpoint. The idea of a drag wheel is to remove rotational weight, not to just be a skinny wheel that looks like a drag wheel.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Mechanical Engineer
SJM Manufacturing Inc. & Bogart Racing Wheels
Old 07-15-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SJMMFGINC
This is not for argument sake, if you feel comfortable with what you’re doing, so be it. At least for the others reading and learning…they understand what they are getting into. I know I won’t race next to a car that is setup as such. I’m not even sure if the track would approve as it’s probably stamped for low speeds.

It doesn't matter who runs them and how many run them. It's the incorrect pattern of which you remove even distribution of pressure on the studs. This increases the chance of a stud failing as well as increasing the chance of the lugs loosening thus possibly creating a driving hazard.

Furthermore, the wheel is designed to be used as a spare for low speeds and low duration of use. I don’t know what the weight of the wheel is offhand, but if it’s steel, you’re not really gaining anything from a rotational standpoint. The idea of a drag wheel is to remove rotational weight, not to just be a skinny wheel that looks like a drag wheel.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Mechanical Engineer
SJM Manufacturing Inc. & Bogart Racing Wheels
I would agree, I felt the same way even before reading this.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve is correct. They are a different bolt pattern. People make them work all the time, but it's not exactly safe. But afterall, it is your car and your life. I wouldn't want to be next to you though, especially at high speeds down the 1320.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wink

Not everyone has the money for proper wheels, I know I don't...So i do what i can with what I can get, and if that means using GTO spares then so be it. Furthermore the op is not asking for a sermon on safety, what he wants are some pictues as do I
Old 07-15-2010, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Empatho
Not everyone has the money for proper wheels, I know I don't...So i do what i can with what I can get, and if that means using GTO spares then so be it. Furthermore the op is not asking for a sermon on safety, what he wants are some pictues as do I
if you dont have the money then don't run skinnies...just run your street tires
Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zracer323
if you dont have the money then don't run skinnies...just run your street tires
+1, plus it sounds like you guys want to know if it LOOKS cool.
Sounds like you don't care about the performance bit, if theres even ANY positive side to it.

It will look like you're running on spares, you won't fool anyone.
Use your street tires.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Empatho
So, instead of not doing something the right way because you can't afford to, you'd just rather half *** it and put your own life, as well as the guy racing next to you's life at risk because you didn't want to spend more than 50 bucks? Please do us all a favor and stay away from the track, or keep your stock wheels on, tight.

Even if you get the wheels you're going to have to spend 320 bucks on proper tires as GTO spare tires have a max speed rating of 55mph, so by that time you might as well spend another 100 bucks and pick up a used set of Welds to put the tires on.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro396
So, instead of not doing something the right way because you can't afford to, you'd just rather half *** it and put your own life, as well as the guy racing next to you's life at risk because you didn't want to spend more than 50 bucks? Please do us all a favor and stay away from the track, or keep your stock wheels on, tight.

Even if you get the wheels you're going to have to spend 320 bucks on proper tires as GTO spare tires have a max speed rating of 55mph, so by that time you might as well spend another 100 bucks and pick up a used set of Welds to put the tires on.
Two of my friends have GTO's so I could just ask them to let me borrow them, so it wouldn't really be that expensive to buy tires. Ill do my self a favor and save some money and yes I rather just half *** it, because I don't go to the track all the time, so I do not want to make a big investment on something I'm rarely gonna use. Nothing against the naysayers, but if you guys want to make your own thread about the dangers then please start your own. I already seen a lot of Corvette owners use them, and also read through all the warnings on their forum
Old 07-16-2010, 12:11 AM
10 Second Club

a camaro and vette have a standard bolt patern. a gto has a metric patern. the wheels with interchange though because of the difference being less than a few millimeters. i have ran f body snowflakes on my gto and they bolt up fine and yes safely. all kinds of people are using just the gto spare wheel with a street tire on it for skinnes. its not unsafe. just a cheap way of getting it done.

man you drew out the panzies on this one lol.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by happysem
+1, plus it sounds like you guys want to know if it LOOKS cool.
Sounds like you don't care about the performance bit, if theres even ANY positive side to it.

It will look like you're running on spares, you won't fool anyone.
Use your street tires.
Of course i want to know if it looks cool, that is why I want to see some pics, duh if I didn't care about performance I would be driving a Honda. And no, I'm not trying to fool anyone, I just want to get a better time.

Last edited by Empatho; 07-16-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:30 AM
TECH Addict

i have seen people running regular GTO wheels on an F-Body, but I never thought about the spares..
Let us know how is goes..
Old 07-16-2010, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 402GOAT
a camaro and vette have a standard bolt patern. a gto has a metric patern. the wheels with interchange though because of the difference being less than a few millimeters. i have ran f body snowflakes on my gto and they bolt up fine and yes safely. all kinds of people are using just the gto spare wheel with a street tire on it for skinnes. its not unsafe. just a cheap way of getting it done.
man you drew out the panzies on this one lol.
Glad to see one person in this thread that is on the same page as me. Why do these guys keep talking about racing on the stock tire that comes on the spare? I never said anything about that. I clearly stated that m&h makes a 26x4.5x17 tire i would put on these. I'm not stupid guys. But i guess ALL these guys i've seen running GTO spare rims as skinnies on vettes/gto's running in the 9's and 10's are the stupid ones? I've never heard/read of anything going wrong. Apparently the stock tire that does come on these wheels is good to 129mph though (don't quote me on that) Its just a cheap way of having a pair of skinnies. A friend of mine had an 06' GTO with firebird twisties out back with M/T DR's and the GTO spares as skinnies. He never had a problem interchanging the wheels nor did he ever have a problem at a track. If it gets the job done i don't see the problem.

I just asked for some pictures!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to talk about safety, many people run VW tires on their skinnies... They're only rated to 80mph, but people go 8s on 'em.

The guy wants to know if anyone has done this, not if you deem it safe or not. So, I would say, butt out of the thread unless you've got something constructive.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Have at it, hillbillies.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I sir, am not a Hillbilly. My **** is set up properly. But if other people want to other ****, I don't really care. That's the problem with Tech. Everyone is so sensitive and gets their little feelers hurt. Not calling you out individually Camaro396, just ranting in general since this thread already got **** on.

Quick Reply: Pics of GTO spares/skinnies on fbodys wanted