Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What tires sshould I get for the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What tires sshould I get for the winter?

Well my ET streets are about smoked. So I need to get some new rubber soon for the DD.

What would you guys recommend for a tire with around 280 tread wear rating?

I was looking at Toyo T1R's but they say "summer only" while the Proxy 4's say "all season" but have a 300 tread wear rating, IE almost the same, anybody know what the difference is?

What about Hankooks? Any other other recommendations?

I am just looking for tires to drive on over the winter in the rain, with some occasional freezing temps in the AM.

TIA, Zach
Old 10-14-2010, 06:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this for a 4th gen F-body? If so, as long as you don't have any "big brake" upgrades on the car, find either some 16" steel wheels, or used 16" "salad-shooters", and use a 225/55/16 tire, either an aggressively treaded "all season" tire, or a dedicated snow tire.

You need the narrowest tire possible, to "punch through" snow, and the 225/55/16 is close to the same OD as a 245/50/16 or 275/40/17, so the car's computer will be happy. Secondly, the all season or snow tire will have rubber compounds that will work in low temps.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zach we are in the same boat we need to get the kind that are connected to a jeep! I looked through a bunch of all season tires that were in my price range.

the size i was shopping for 245/40/R18

BFG g-Force Super Sport A/S bout 138 a tire
Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 bout 138 a tire
Sumitomo HTR A/S Po1 bout 132 a tire
Continental Extreme Contact DWS bout 153 a tire
and i've heard that the Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance isnt a bad tire in the snow but its not an All season 138 a tire

I have a buddy who has the continentals on his G35 and got around way better than me last winter!

Good luck!
-Blake
Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

I would Recommend Extreme Contact DWS. Decent Handling and one of the better all seasons in the winter.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

I would want to know what conditions you are driving in exactly. I dont see where you are from, so I cannot make an exact recommendation. If you're from WI, like I am, where we average 6+ inches of snow all winter, an all out snow tire is the way to go! Im guessing that you do not have to deal with snow, just rain, based on your original statements. If its an all season you want, I would agree with the B.F Goodrich G-force Super Sport A/S and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS that were recommended by others. Other suggestions are Dunlop Sport Signature, Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid, Yokohama Avid ENVigor, Goodyear Eagle GT, Kuhmo Ecsta ASX and Michelin Pilot A/S plus, if these brands/models are available in the size you are looking for. If you have the chance of snow, I would recommend lookin at either the Nokian WR G2 or the Vredestien Quatrac3. Both are all seasons that also pass snow tire standards, designated by the mountain/snow flake symbol on the sidewall. I run the Nokians on my DD (02 Cavalier), although they are the previous generation of WR's. They are amazing! I have had passengers out with me in snow storms that were astounded by how well they performed. Keep in mind that is coming from people along for the ride, w/o control over the car.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM
TECH Veteran

"Grimreaper", I agree with your recommendation of Nokians, except for one thing...they're rather pricey. I think that a Hankook Winter Ipike would be as good, except less money.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

I have no issues with the Ipike's, In fact I just mounted set for my cousins Focus wagon. I didnt really get into the full on snow tires as it didnt seem necessary to him...... There are a ton of options in that category also. I just wanted to try and give options and some experiences that I have had. I feel that "All season" tires are truly not all season, unless you get into either the Nokians or the Vredesteins. Those two tires I recommended are just a "middle ground" for people who do not want to spend the money on a set of snow tires and also a set of tires for everything else. In possibly this case, there is no need for a dedicated snow tire and a true all season would be best. I work for a dealership where Nokians are sold like crazy. For dedicated snow tires, we see a lot of Bridgestone Blizzaks, Continentals, Dunlops and Generals along with the Nokians. Vredesteins are something new to were I work, so my experince with driving on them is limited. I installed a set of the Quatrac3's on a friends Cobalt, and she was impressed with them. She is afraid to drive in the snow, but didnt want to spend the money for two sets of tires. I realize that Nokians are on the expensive side, but I do believe that in the world of tires, you get what you pay for. I don't like to recommend tires to people that I feel they are going to be disappointed with. Usually that means cheap tires and the last thing I want is anyone to be scared to drive their car because they feel unsafe with the way their tires perform. Honestly I believe that snow tires should be mandatory in the snow states. I think there would be far fewer accidents. I see too many cars with tires that are 4/32" of tread, with summer designed tread patterns, that I try to sell new tires too. Whether its a new set of "all seasons" to snows, I get too many that say "No, these tires are just fine, I have no problems driving". Too many license plates for me to remember, so that I can stay away from them when I out driving. But you know, I work for a "stealership" and Im only trying to rip people off! Love hearing that one! Sorry for the rant.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Veteran

"Grimreaper", I understand where you're coming from. I have both a Camaro, as well as a Corvette. Neither of them have seen any snow, unless I'm working on one or the other over the winter, and just need to put it ouside for an hour or two, to give me some more work room.

I have a GMC Canyon 4x4, with Blizzaks, for the winter. I know what you mean about all the "throttle jockeys" out there on half bald tires, saying, "They're OK, I'll get by"...... The tow truck operators just LOVE them!

And beyond any shadow of a doubt, you DO get EXACTLY what you pay for....
Old 10-17-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell, go all out! Get some BFGoodrich Mud Terrain TA!! LoL j/k. Here's a tip: get a small bottle of bleach, a clean shop rag and a 1 gallon ziploc.When it's slick or icey out, wet the rag with bleach and wipe the tread of the tires. It really helps give you traction and lasts a good while. Just don't pour the bleach on the tire, it'll dry rot it out quick. Learned this tip from a Wisconsin cop when I lived there.

Last edited by Swiat34; 10-17-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Never heard of that tip before. Im not quite understanding the effects of the bleach on snow/ice or how its affecting the rubber to provide traction, but hey, if its works. Im thinking thats kind of a, "If your in a bind" kind of tip.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grim, I learned about it when it was really slick out and saw the crown vics taking turns and accelerating with no problems while I was sliding to a stop and barely making it thru intersections with my FWD Cutlass Supreme. When I asked a cop, he told me about the bleach. IDK how it works but it sure does!