Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Aright guys, I'm going to run 17x11 TT2s all the way around. Forsee any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can figure out how to do it without issues and you can afford the 315s then go right ahead. But it's putting form before function. I would be pretty nervous driving in rain with 315s all the way around.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if you have already spoke with someone regarding having 11' rims all the way around then why bother posting this thread, we are all just giving you input like you asked for, and now you seem to be getting upset at the comments regarding your post. the jury is out and we have spoken. Im pretty sure you are going to have to mod your front fender wells
Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Undertow74
if you have already spoke with someone regarding having 11' rims all the way around then why bother posting this thread, we are all just giving you input like you asked for, and now you seem to be getting upset at the comments regarding your post. the jury is out and we have spoken. Im pretty sure you are going to have to mod your front fender wells
Because I would like more than one persons experience/opinion. Not every car is the same. I may run into issues that he did not run in to.

I seem to be getting upset? Hardly. Everyone was saying how it wont look right and that'll look ugly. "How it'll look" wasn't the reason for the thread, but like I've said numerous times, I can careless if you guys think it'll be ugly. I think it looks killer.

If you read my first post, I asked if there were going to be any issues and if it'll throw pebbles/rocks etc up on the side of the car since they are wider.

Either way, I appreciate everyones opinions/advice. I'll probably stray away from the 17x11 idea due to the handling issues many of you mentioned. Not really worth the risk. Thanks for the help
Old 02-19-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with you that that would look pretty sweet with 11s all around i dont care what anyone else says but yeah i cant see it being very practical unfortunatly.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Undertow74
If you like it, go for it man, its all about what you like/want. When you post a thread like this obviously its going to be filled with personal opinions. I think they are way the hell to wide for a front rim, the back yes and that is what i run. but as far as rubbing when turning etc... might be some modifications involved. and the Blue camaro in the last pic looks like he is runnin a tire to small for the rim, looks like the bead is going to pop off....
Umm...you do realize that those are slicks and have much more grip then a street tire which makes the sidewalls flex more right? OP, run whatever you want. Opinions are like ********, everyones got one and they all stink. As far as fitment on the front, 17x11s take less effort to fit then on the back according to many people on Fraxx.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:34 AM
Teching In

do you actually want to run that big of a tire or just have the appearance of them? like a nicely fitted wheel well? nice and flush? i love this trend its way more popular on imports though. just buy some better offset wheels and run a 275. but if you really want to run a 315 go for it. im not saying dont do it just check out some other options before you go cutting fenders haha.
oh and by the way that blue camaro at the end looks badass! wheels fit perfect!
Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Im late to the party, but I agree.....it sucks.

Carry on
Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

As bad as the stock width front tires are with following ruts in the road, I can't even begin to imagine how bad it would be with a tire wider than a 275. Not to mention the added rolling resistance and weight.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

What I don't understand is that on the OEWheels post there are alot of guys running 18x10.5s and getting nothing but praise and then someone wants to run 11s and everyone bitches about it.

My car is not a DD, its also not a race car, but I like the look of the pro touring cars so thats what I'm going ofr with my build, you don't like it...I don't care, its as simple as that.

Now as far as fitment use the 50mm offset if you have a Camaro, Firebirds can get away with a 36mm offset and not have to run a spacer. I have a camaro so thats why I have most pics of camaros. My wheels will NOT stick out, I will gaurentee that, and to the OP the pics you posted the guy is running Nittos which are known to run a little narrower than other tires.

And from what I have read, there is a strip of metal on the front wheel wells that needs to be cut out or folded up otherwise on hard braking or cornering the tire could rub through the plastic wheel well and cut up the tire. Other than that the tires clear in the front better than they clear in the back.

My future plans are 315s up front and 335s on the rear to keep the staggered look Tires will eventually be the Kuhmo XS tires, I'll be using cheaper tires to get the bugs worked out of the suspension then stepping up to better ones
Old 02-20-2011, 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,756 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
but I like the look of the pro touring cars so thats what I'm going ofr with my build, you don't like it...I don't care, its as simple as that.
Good, you should do what makes you happy. I don't like pro-touring, and don't care for how these cars look with wheels that wide up front. If you disagree, I don't care either, I still won't like it. So at least we agree on that.

My wheels will NOT stick out, I will gaurentee that
They will stick out, just like the pic of the LS1 Camaro you posted earlier in the thread. If you don't think those stick out, then we just don't see the same thing when looking at the same car.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

What I don't understand is that on the OEWheels post there are alot of guys running 18x10.5s and getting nothing but praise and then someone wants to run 11s and everyone bitches about it.
The 10.5s are on the back, not the front.

My car is not a DD, its also not a race car, but I like the look of the pro touring cars so thats what I'm going ofr with my build, you don't like it...I don't care, its as simple as that.
We're not saying don't do something because we don't like the look of it... we're warning you that there are many issues you will encounter running that much tire on a street car.

My future plans are 315s up front and 335s on the rear to keep the staggered look Tires will eventually be the Kuhmo XS tires, I'll be using cheaper tires to get the bugs worked out of the suspension then stepping up to better ones
I gotta say, I wish I had the kind of money you must have to put 315s and 335s on a car "just to look cool." Have you priced 335s yet? They aren't cheap, and there's very few choices of tires in that size. Most of them are track tires or drag radials (go figure).

335s are among the widest tires ever fitted to road cars. They also will require substantial BFHing to fit. On a Camaro I see no way that they won't stick out.

Please do some more research on this. Putting that much tire on an F-body is difficiult, expensive, and you will be sacrificing driveability. I understand some people like the "steamroller" look, but it's not a practical application for a car that has no plans of road racing or autox.

- This setup will suck if you get caught driving in rain
- You will add a significant amount of unsprung weight, resulting in a less pleasant ride
- The extra rolling resistence combined with the weight will actually make your car slower, and get worse fuel economy
- Substantial modification will be required on both the front and back to get this setup not to rub
- Prepare to spend a lot of money on tires

^ If you're okay with all the above, go right ahead and proceed with your proposed setup.

Don't get me wrong, this is not the most radical thing people do with these cars. But the problem with this is that you're putting form before function. You're making your car less functional just for a look. It's the same problem the hellaflush people have.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Latch
The 10.5s are on the back, not the front.

We're not saying don't do something because we don't like the look of it... we're warning you that there are many issues you will encounter running that much tire on a street car.

I gotta say, I wish I had the kind of money you must have to put 315s and 335s on a car "just to look cool." Have you priced 335s yet? They aren't cheap, and there's very few choices of tires in that size. Most of them are track tires or drag radials (go figure).

335s are among the widest tires ever fitted to road cars. They also will require substantial BFHing to fit. On a Camaro I see no way that they won't stick out.

Please do some more research on this. Putting that much tire on an F-body is difficiult, expensive, and you will be sacrificing driveability. I understand some people like the "steamroller" look, but it's not a practical application for a car that has no plans of road racing or autox.

- This setup will suck if you get caught driving in rain
- You will add a significant amount of unsprung weight, resulting in a less pleasant ride
- The extra rolling resistence combined with the weight will actually make your car slower, and get worse fuel economy
- Substantial modification will be required on both the front and back to get this setup not to rub
- Prepare to spend a lot of money on tires

^ If you're okay with all the above, go right ahead and proceed with your proposed setup.

Don't get me wrong, this is not the most radical thing people do with these cars. But the problem with this is that you're putting form before function. You're making your car less functional just for a look. It's the same problem the hellaflush people have.
First off have you even looked through OEs post? There is a handful of guys using 10.5s at all 4 corners. My car is not a drag car, its not a DD, it doesn't get driven in the rain, tires are almost the same cost, its easier to fit the tires on the front than it is to fit them on the rear-if you have done the research you will see, the car is getting setup for autox and road racing (will I do it all the time, no, but I would like doing it more often). The wheels on the pewter car are 36mm offset IIRC, they do stick out, mine won't I will tell you that much. My car has a lot of custom parts and I don't mind cutting it up more. It will get a mini tub and I will run a 335 on the rear. Kuhmo XS tires run about $215 a tire, how much are nitto 555s? $195 a tire, I know thats what I'm ordering in a few weeks. We can argue about it all day, but will get is no where, we all have our own opinion

I'm just trying to be fair, 2 guys supporting the idea and 10 guys bashing it. At the end do what you want, big n littles makes me want to puke, but I don't go around trashing on everyones setup or ruining their threads, I just don't look at it or post in it.

If you want an honest opinion on the setup, go on fraxx where they actually use the setup

Old 02-20-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fair enough, I was under the impression you were just going for the look without any plans of actually racing.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

i like the look of 11's on all four corners as well. looks badass very aggressive i love it. i say do it whatever floats your boat. im doing the 18x10.5 on all corners or 17x11 on all corners who knows but i say go 4 it
Old 02-20-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah OE has 10.5 available for all corners, that's what i was looking into when i was window shopping around..dont like staggered set ups.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

The wheels on the pewter car are 36mm offset IIRC, they do stick out, mine won't I will tell you that much.
They will most certainly stick out, based on what you said here:

Now I'm setting my car up with 17x11s at all 4 corners and with a 36mm they will stick out just a touch, thats why I went with a 50mm offset and I will be getting a 1/4" spacer so my wheels will be about a 44mm offset wheel with the spacer.
If you like the look that's obviously your opinion, nobody can argue that. However, a 17x11" wheel with an effective 44mm offset and a 315 width tire will in fact stick out. I had a 285 tire on a 9.5" wheel with a 46mm offset, and if you stood over the car looking straight down from the top of the fender you could see the tire sticking out just a bit, and you're now talking about using an even wider wheel with a wider tire and an even more aggressive offset. It obviously won't stick out as much as the 36mm offset, and maybe it won't stick out enough to bother you personally (which is fine), but it will most definitely stick out to some degree, unless you are planning to alter the mounting point within the wheel well.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
They will most certainly stick out, based on what you said here:

If you like the look that's obviously your opinion, nobody can argue that. However, a 17x11" wheel with an effective 44mm offset and a 315 width tire will in fact stick out. I had a 285 tire on a 9.5" wheel with a 46mm offset, and if you stood over the car looking straight down from the top of the fender you could see the tire sticking out just a bit, and you're now talking about using an even wider wheel with a wider tire and an even more aggressive offset. It obviously won't stick out as much as the 36mm offset, and maybe it won't stick out enough to bother you personally (which is fine), but it will most definitely stick out to some degree, unless you are planning to alter the mounting point within the wheel well.
I'm not going to argue with you anymore, the wheels WILL NOT STICK OUT I have done my research and the 36mm offset wheels do exactly what you are describing, the 50mm offset wheels do not. You have something wrong with your car is you have 9.5s sticking out, thousands of guys run the setup you just described and I have only heard of you saying that they stick out. Maybe your alignment was fucked up or something/ My alignment will be set up kind of aggressive with a touch of negative camber to assist with the wider wheels on the front.

Go over to fraxx and look up from guys who know what they are talking about since I obviously don't, I can go on and on with this stupid debate, but I won't, its not worth my time. I have spend days researching everything to make sure I'm getting the right parts and they will fit properly. There are guys running the 36mm offset wheels and they stick out maybe 1/4" and they are using RR tires that usually run wide, I'll be running Nitto NT555s for now until I get all of the bugs worked out, then stepping up to a Kuhmo XS tire that runs a little wider.

Either way, I'm done with this post, stay tuned for my build thread but just don't post in it
Old 02-21-2011, 12:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

the wheels WILL NOT STICK OUT
Yes, they will.

I have done my research and the 36mm offset wheels do exactly what you are describing, the 50mm offset wheels do not.
You said you'd be running a spacer that will make your effective offset 44mm, not 50mm.

You have something wrong with your car is you have 9.5s sticking out
There is nothing wrong with the car. And it's not the 9.5" wheels that stuck out, it's the 285mm tires that stuck out just a tad with a 46mm offset on a 9.5" wheel. You are talking about an even wider tire with slightly more aggressive effective offset on an even wider wheel.

thousands of guys run the setup you just described
Doubtful. Not many have run 285mm tires on a 9.5" front wheel with 46mm offset. You are thinking of the countless people that run *different* offsets with 9.5", and/or don't use a 285mm tire.

Go over to fraxx and look up from guys who know what they are talking about
No need to. I ran the setup, and used my eyes too look at it. I know what I saw.

I have spend days researching everything to make sure I'm getting the right parts and they will fit properly.
I don't need to research, I ran the parts I've described with the results I've posted.

There are guys running the 36mm offset wheels and they stick out maybe 1/4"
I never measured how much they stick out, and I'm not going to argue that because I *don't* have a specific measurement for you. But no matter the actual measurement, sticking out is sticking out. People should be prepared for that if they plan to run this setup on a '98+ Camaro.

Either way, I'm done with this post, stay tuned for my build thread but just don't post in it
Good. When you are done installing a 315mm tire on a 17x11" wheel with a 44mm effective offset (using the spacer), stand over the fender and look straight down. You'll see some tire poking out beyond the fender lip on an LS1 Camaro for sure (not sure if LT1 fender will be the same, just noticed you have a '95). If you like it, that's fine, not arguing that.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-21-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: More info added.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

^^You have too much time on your hands, good day to you sir
Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

man, you guys are killin me!

Quick Reply: Aright guys, I'm going to run 17x11 TT2s all the way around. Forsee any issues?