Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

When Did Black Wheels Become A Fad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Chrome is pretty easy actually, compared to polished (non-clear coated) wheels....now THOSE are work.
Hm.. Maybe that's what I was referring to. Whatever my brother's Iroc has is a pain in the *** to keep clean and shiny I suppose they are polished the more I think about it... Polished outside with what appears to be a cast inner portion of the rim, a lot more rough of a surface.

Not at all. The chrome Cragar S/S wheels on my Nova were first intorduced in 1964. Both chrome and black wheels have been around for many decades, previously in steel though. Chrome wheel accessories (trim rings, hub caps, etc.) have been around since well before the SBC V8 engine even.

Black and silver were the most common colors of factory steel wheels. However, there have been many examples of factory color-matched wheels (to body color) decades before that became popular with the ricers. Here is an example with a factory color matched setup (this is a '70, but this option was seen on various cars long before 1970):

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...70Cutlass1.jpg
Hell, I'm sure Pink rims were made at some point or another back in the day.(whether custom or not), but I was referring to Chrome Rims being more of a fad in hip-hop culture and cities where people like to spend all their money on 26" Chrome Spinners :p

That I agree with. Popularity for various styles comes and goes, but if something was ever truly popular there will usually be some sort of following for it, even when others have moved on.
Like Cragar's for example.. Haha. Been around forever and STILL popular. I've got a set of black Cragar's on my Cherokee: Lifted 5.5", 33" x 12.5" Mickey Thompson's, Factory Green Paint.. Not quite "Moss Green".. A few shades lighter. And black Cragar 397's, I believe, on that look sharp.

Derek
Old 03-03-2011, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rauch
I believe you can blame whoever painted steelies black originally. I agree with the others when they say that it looks good on some cars, and horrible on others. It all depends on your color combo and style of rims you want.

Chrome looks even dirtier... ALL the time . The amount of maintenance required to keep the finish is rediculous and chrome is more of a fad than black rims. "Oh mannnnn look at dem chrome 26's on dat caddy." Big rims is more of a fad than color of the rims. Style of rims is a big fad too. Spinners, for instance.

I don't know... Just my 2 cents.

Derek

More maintenance?!?! Great!!! I ll just put extra liquid glass on my car while im at it! Chrome4life
Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
More maintenance?!?! Great!!! I ll just put extra liquid glass on my car while im at it! Chrome4life
Hahaha . Just because I somewhat bashed Chrome Rims, don't think I don't like them, or think that I have Black Rims. I'll stick to my Gunmetal z06's for now.

There are just certain style's of chrome rim's that I do not like, such as:

and...

Derek
Old 03-03-2011, 02:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Hell, I'm sure Pink rims were made at some point or another back in the day.(whether custom or not)
Here's a tasteful example of some pink-ish rims on an '87 Cutlass. I think they suit the car well.

There are just certain style's of chrome rim's that I do not like
So I guess that means you wouldn't want to drive THIS bad boy around? What if it came with a matching chrome step ladder to help climb into it?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Here's a tasteful example of some pink-ish rims on an '87 Cutlass. I think they suit the car well.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...Homomobile.jpg

So I guess that means you wouldn't want to drive THIS bad boy around? What if it came with a matching chrome step ladder to help climb into it?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...rmobile001.jpg
Ohhh man, WHERE OH WHERE CAN I BUY THAT CUTLASS.

Some people... Have no taste.

Derek
Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WSsick
Has anyone ever seen Trust's old T/A? That is the definition of black wheeled-sex.
http://i51.tinypic.com/15g8f3n.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/j9yioj.jpg
What wheels are these?
They look ridiculously awesome.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I notice that a lot of people are going with black wheels these days. What inspired this fad?

I had this idea for my Grand National back in the day. I was going for the "sinister" look. Here is a pic of my GN with blacked out Vette wheels circa 1989.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...lacked-out.jpg
Me and you have something in common..

Like mentioned I think the wheels have to match the car..imo..
Old 03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrome is pretty easy actually, compared to polished (non-clear coated) wheels....now THOSE are work.

I just so happen's I Run both Black and Polished wheels. It just depends on the time of the Year for me since the GTO is my D/D.

So Black on Blue for the winter

Its not my favorite look, but it does save my nicer wheels and looks better then the stock silver wheels.

Blue and Shiney in the Summer.

As soon as the weather starts turning $h!ty in the Fall i Pull my CCW's off and Mount my Black Painted stockers for Winter. For two reason's. Anyone who has owned a polished wheel like these it is beyond a normal polished wheel. ie polishing for about 45min to an hour ever Sat when i wash the car(During the Summer). Winter and salt and snow and sand.... on these...no way....

Damn rain water spots them...

My 2nd reason is i have all seasons on the stockers and summer tires on the CCW's.
Everyone has there .02 and i didnt want to waste another $1200 on wheels for the winter that could be going towards HP Mods.

Kyle
Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

most dead sexy TA ever build ...IMO
Old 03-03-2011, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
Has anyone ever seen Trust's old T/A? That is the definition of black wheeled-sex.
http://i51.tinypic.com/15g8f3n.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/j9yioj.jpg
That is probably the nicest looking T/A I have ever seen.

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
What wheels are these?
They look ridiculously awesome.
+1, I'd also like to know.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

I saw it show up in 2 places. First, the honda's with the hub caps off was very popular in the early to late 90's. In the late 90's, I saw alot of the black, steel modular wheel with the yellow writing Dunlops, it was a Nascar wanna be look. It seemed to take off from that point.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

My father-in-law has had black wheels on his high end Mercedes since before time began.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The blue GTO is the perfect example of how awful black wheels look on a car.
It looks amazing with the chrome wheels and like crap with the black wheels.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

I really wouldn't consider it a "fad" Ive been on this site for 6 years and been on other car sites for 7-8 years and people have always had black rims. Its just a matter of personal preference and what looks good on the car. I think no matter what chrome/polished will always be the majority though b/c it pretty much goes well with anything
Old 03-03-2011, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Hahaha . Just because I somewhat bashed Chrome Rims, don't think I don't like them, or think that I have Black Rims. I'll stick to my Gunmetal z06's for now.

There are just certain style's of chrome rim's that I do not like, such as:
http://www.fastcoolcars.com/images/p...hrome-rims.jpg
and...
http://www.rollinbig.com/convertible..._on_chrome.jpg
Derek

You were bashing chrome?! I thought you were just giving me reasons to clean my car more
Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
You were bashing chrome?! I thought you were just giving me reasons to clean my car more
For that comment, you may as well clean it even more. I'll find some nice tar to stick right to them... and a handful of rocks
Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Trust wheels were CCWs.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Far from a fad. Had my 1st set of black wheels 6+ years ago. A fad is something like Spinner wheels or something along those lines that is you see nowadays you laugh.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

the le camaro had black and chrome rims in 2002. look good to me
Old 03-03-2011, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

For that comment, you may as well clean it even more. I'll find some nice tar to stick right to them... and a handful of rocks
Ill pass, I like chrome and if you did that then they would just look like yours

Quick Reply: When Did Black Wheels Become A Fad?