Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

When Did Black Wheels Become A Fad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

17" black c5 wheels on a navy blue camaro with bad stance will look horrible. Take that same car and throw some black or comp grey 18" or 19" CCW's on it with the right finish and stance and the whole look will change.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Detoxx,

T/A looks great but have those bad boys clear coated and your cleaning problems are solved. That was what I did.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dws6
Detoxx,

T/A looks great but have those bad boys clear coated and your cleaning problems are solved. That was what I did.
Friend of mine had some polished wheels cleared and it looked like chrome so that defeated the purpose of not buying chrome. Besides that I don't have that car anymore.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

I personally chose black wheels 1: Because the previous owner installed black C5 thin spokes and I was ok with it. 2: Because Id already seen plenty of black SS's with polished CCW SP500's (which looks amazing) and I wanted the same look, but to be different. I will agree with BOB**** and say that the black can make the wheel disappear. Thats where 14" rotors all around provided a backdrop to the wheels to make them stand out again. My only concern after I got them mounted, was in an 18" wheel with a 35 series front and 30 series rear sidewall, the black lip made the sidewall appear thicker/taller. It made me think that I should have gone with 19's in black. I still think it looks great, but everyone can nitpick there car here.
Attached Thumbnails When Did Black Wheels Become A Fad?-2011-10-29-14.19.45.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Black wheels are stupid, heres my garbage *** turd on black wheels:
Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jean jackets were cool for quite some time as well.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the "fad" started with this car back in 1996, as black wheels were stock.

IMO its not really a fad if its lasted for 17 years. Black wheels look fantastic on certain cars, mainly it depends on the style of the wheel and the paint color to a lesser extent.

Gold/Bronze BBS wheels, now that was a fad IMO.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had polished TT before these and the black looks 10Xs better IMO.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
First off if you are going to get "shiny" wheels don't get chrome because its looks cheap. They are also heavier than their forged aluminum counterpart.

First of all, chrome plating is not even a full pound heavier on the exact same SET of wheels. So to say they are "heavier" is just misinformation.

A lot (read most of) of the higher end wheel manufacturers offer chrome plating on their forged aluminum wheels. HRE, Iforged etc

Furthermore, if you are any good at polishing... your polished wheels SHOULD look chrome right after you do them.

I think what really struck me as asinine was for anyone with black wheels to say that chrome looks "cheap". That just makes me laugh... and I have nothing against black wheels, but come on man. NOTHING looks cheaper than black painted wheels, because NOTHING IS CHEAPER THAN BLACK PAINTED WHEELS
Old 06-30-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RollTideTA
First of all, chrome plating is not even a full pound heavier on the exact same SET of wheels. So to say they are "heavier" is just misinformation.

A lot (read most of) of the higher end wheel manufacturers offer chrome plating on their forged aluminum wheels. HRE, Iforged etc

Furthermore, if you are any good at polishing... your polished wheels SHOULD look chrome right after you do them.

I think what really struck me as asinine was for anyone with black wheels to say that chrome looks "cheap". That just makes me laugh... and I have nothing against black wheels, but come on man. NOTHING looks cheaper than black painted wheels, because NOTHING IS CHEAPER THAN BLACK PAINTED WHEELS

Even the highest quality polishing job in aluminum does not look like chrome, sorry you are wrong. The shine is deeper and darker than chrome, now that really comes to me as a very asinine comment. Highly polished aluminum has its own distinctive look. Chrome looks cheap, it may not be cheap but it looks cheap, but is also easy to keep looking good if you like the look.

Highest end wheel manufacturers offer chrome because they will cover all the finishes possible to gather the biggest amount of possible customers, its just a business decision. Do not use that to support your argument because its meaningless in what its been discussed here.

Chrome is makes a wheel heavier, not by much but indeed they do. With guy concerned about weight they are usually not consider and plain aluminum is preferred, every ounce count. So to you my friend and BTW, nice attitude.

And here is my lowly gunmetal painted/polished aluminum lip turd for you to feel to criticize and abuse:

Good day, sir.

Last edited by chaman; 06-30-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have to agree with RollTideTA since I'm a machinist and know a lot about the various types of metals. Aluminum IS the most highly reflective metal and when polished correctly is just as shiny as chrome.

As for chrome looking cheap it's obvious you don't have a clue as to what your are talking about you clown. Many Harley's have a lot of chrome and they certainly don't look cheap.

The newer Harley's with a lot of black on them look cheap and they are much cheaper than those that have a lot of chrome. So I'd say he nailed it perfectly in every aspect.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
I have to agree with RollTideTA since I'm a machinist and know a lot about the various types of metals. Aluminum IS the most highly reflective metal and when polished correctly is just as shiny as chrome.

As for chrome looking cheap it's obvious you don't have a clue as to what your are talking about you clown. Many Harley's have a lot of chrome and they certainly don't look cheap.

The newer Harley's with a lot of black on them look cheap and they are much cheaper than those that have a lot of chrome. So I'd say he nailed it perfectly in every aspect.
This not about how shiny it is its the quality of shine. I give a **** if you are machinist. Have the same wheel one chromed and properly polish the other then look at them and come back. Aluminum looks different. Yes its reflective but its the reflective qualitie what its been discussed here. Chrome is pricier because of the process involved not because is better.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

the issue is most wheels now days are not triple chrome plated which makes the chrome finish look less quality. I do not care how much you polish aluminum it looks nothing like triple chrome plating.

that being said black wheels suck unless they have a machined lip like on lemons TA...and I do like the gun metal w/ machine lip alot(Chaman).
Old 07-01-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Obviously chrome and polished alum look the same because many people think the polished wheels on the 99-03 Grand Prix GTP are chrome plated.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Obviously chrome and polished alum look the same because many people think the polished wheels on the 99-03 Grand Prix GTP are chrome plated.
As always reaching simplistic one dimensional conclusions. You must be a some dumb idiot in real life. I have no further comments to you. You are suposed to ha experience with metals? Wow......
Old 07-01-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's nothing more convincing than a real world example Bozo. You haven't proven they look look different yet I proved they look the same so obviously you don't know what you're talking about. It's just your opinion and there's 2 of us that disagree so you lose lol.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSsick
It isn't a fad if it looks good. Some cars they look excellent on, others they look godawful.
It is a fad. In fact, its the definition of Fad.

fad
/fad/
Noun
An intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, esp. one that is short-lived; a craze.
Synonyms
whim - caprice - vagary - fancy - crotchet

Not saying I don't like the look on the right car, but its is a fad. With the exception of polished and chrome, most wheel finishes are a fad. Similar to clothes. Just my .02.

Not hating, just sayin'.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chaman I have extensive knowledge of the composition of ALL metals and the characteristics of them too, along with the metallurgy involved in hardening them. I'm actually a tool & die maker which is much more advanced than a machinist, so obviously I know 100 times more than you about metals since I've been does this for 30+ years.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All my vehicles always have black wheels. I dont like flashy, I dont like shiny, I dont like polishing, etc. (exterior wise) I like simple, and black wheels look mean.

I have simple wheels, and I dont care to draw attention. the car is getting a new color soon, but keeping black wheels.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

shitty pics, since the light isnt on the car lol.

Quick Reply: When Did Black Wheels Become A Fad?