Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Possible To Put Smaller Front Tires On Ws6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
As many have mentioned above, you can put 245/45/17 on a 17X9" stock wheel but, IMO, this looks too stretched on a 9" wheel. That size would be fine on a 17x8" though.

The base TA/Z28 size of 245/50/16 does ride a bit smoother, not just due to being narrower but also the taller sidewall.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the big deal is about the 275s up front. I see some Chicago folks above had complained about this due to our poor roads. I've been driving 4th gens with 275mm front tires around this same region for nearly 20 years and I don't see any major problem. Yes, there is some pull/wander when stopping at intersections with significant lane cupping, but that's not really a big issue IMO. And I used to swap over to 225/55/16 snow tires on 16x7.5" wheels every winter, so I'm familiar with how they drive with a much narrower front tire on the same car....I still don't see the big deal.
I'm with you. I never was concerned about how it drove with the 275. I have a BMW 3 series with 255 front and it does wander and pull. My car with 315 tracks fine it doesn't pull or anything. I am running 7 degrees of caster and almost 2 degrees of camber so maybe that helps.

On a Camaro limit handling will absolutely be compromised with a smaller tire. There is so much front weight a big tire is required to make it turn. As mentioned before the Corvette is lighter with a 50/50 weight distribution, but also has an independent rear and was tuned to be neutral with those tire sizes.

I also drove a couple years with 16" snow tires and it did ride better and steer lighter with a tall sidewall squirmy tread tire.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coppertone
Anyone have any more input on this? I think smaller tires up front would make for a more enjoyable drive.

This thread had been dead since 2011.

The car was designed to handle so they had wide tires in front in back, if you want to run a thinner tire go ahead.

but your probably gonna want a narrower rim.

You could run older fbody wheels from other 4th gens or spend money on aftermarket.

It may feel lighter because there is less contact patch, but if you push it in the corners it definitely wont handle as well.

case closed.

This thread should be locked
Old 12-19-2018, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people bitch when someone doesn't search something. people bitch when someone searches and uses an old thread. hmmm
Old 12-20-2018, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss55539
people bitch when someone doesn't search something. people bitch when someone searches and uses an old thread. hmmm

yeah. you search for the info. Typically you dont comment on the thread and bring it back. Especially with something so simple.

Quick Reply: Possible To Put Smaller Front Tires On Ws6?