Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

17x11 not fitting 02 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 99 formula and i'm trying to put afs zr1 36mm offset 17x11s on the back. went to the shop, guys told me there's no way i can fit anything that big in there. i asked them about lifting the car by the rear not sfc's, big hammer mods, etc. but they wouldn't budge. apparently the difference is so huge that they don't wanna even try. So my question is how much space do you gain by rolling the lip and shaving bumpstops? could you make up 1/4 inch? 1/2 inch?
anyone ever measured that? how much clearance (from the wheel to the bumpstop, as i assume that's where the problem spot is) do i need for flawless operation?
thanks
Old 03-15-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those guys at the shop are way off. You see what kind of car I have from my sig, I've done my homework on AFS (off ebay right?) and the 36mm is the right offset for our cars. It is the 50mm offset that we'll have trouble with. As far as how much space you would gain, I'm not sure, but you won't need that much modification with that offset unless your car is lowered...then you're screwed and you'll need the hammer.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, i'm not lowered (yet! coilovers are going in on thrusday) and i figured if i give the wheels to do to the same guys that do coilovers, they'll figure out the proper heights and make it all fit well together.
i've been thinking about it all afternoon, and the only idea i came up with is that i don't have a panhard rod, and that might help. could it be that the rear is just off center so it just 'looks' small on one side? (i'm gonna guess they just tried one side and panicked)
Old 03-16-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah, you're right. That does make a hugh difference, it centers the rearend. Good call.

Quick Reply: 17x11 not fitting 02 WS6