Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What the hell Nitto?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBz28
My nitto tires say made in japan lol......
Most are being made here nowadays. Especially all the ones Ive been mounting recently.

To the OP, if you can get a better pic of the DOT code on the side of the tire I can tell you when it was made. Same goes for your other 3. I can tell you when they were made and if they are from the same batch.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Jesus. Thank god u didnt get hurt when the tire exploded. Did you call nitto and ask what the hell happened
Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stippy17
My guess would be a nail or foreign object protruded the tire during your commute to work

The hole in this pic looks like a possible puncture source.:

Originally Posted by SAchris

Originally Posted by Stippy17
Most Nitto's are USA made
Originally Posted by JohnnyBz28
My nitto tires say made in japan lol......
That pic also shows the "Made in Japan" text.

Sucks no matter why it happened. Sorry for the loss. Tires ain't cheap, especially DRs. Good luck with the replacement.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CoolAid
The hole in this pic looks like a possible puncture source.

That pic also shows the "Made in Japan" text.

Sucks no matter why it happened. Sorry for the loss. Tires ain't cheap, especially DRs. Good luck with the replacement.

Now that I am home I can see the pics on a computer screen lol. Yes it does look like something punctured the sidewall in that picture. A road hazard warranty, if one was purchased, should cover something like that. A manufacturer warranty wont cover something like that.

I do see the Made in Japan text too. Like I said MOST Nittos are made here.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolAid
The hole in this pic looks like a possible puncture source....

I agree!!

It's amazing, however, how the title of this topic is "What the hell, Nitto", like the tire company is responsible for the consumer(s) running over s**t in the road!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree!!

It's amazing, however, how the title of this topic is "What the hell, Nitto", like the tire company is responsible for the consumer(s) running over s**t in the road!
I made this thread before I took those pictures.

I've had many "blowouts" in my years of driving crazy **** and this was not like any other one I've ever had. There was no pop or any noises/pulling leading up to it. I was just cruising and then hear the thumping of the tread and a sharp pull to the left and whole lot of white smoke.

I took the tire to discount yesterday before I had to go into work. The guy I actually bought the tires from (who is awesome by the way) said he wanted to look at the tire and find out what happened since he has nt05s on his Mustang. He found a tiny puncture dead center in the tread between the two water channels. We pulled the tire back to look inside and sure enough the whole was about 10x as big on the inside of the tire as it was on the outside. It looks like I ran over something on my commute and it deflated. I'm guessing I didn't notice a pull because the sidewalls on these are so stiff. He ordered me another 315 that will be here Monday.

That's great news, i'm not nearly as afraid to take these to the track any more.

Chris
Old 07-16-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

I had a tire destroy the whole rear quarter on a car before... good thing it held together.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was driving on my KDWs and i was smelling rubber, thinking it was in the air and then bam, right rear went flat and i pulled off. Tire seperated just like that and i found a 4 inch drill bit that got stuck and when the tire blew, the drill bit actually stuck to the bottom of the wheel well. I think maybe something punctured it and that was the end result. Good thing the sidewall was reinforced because it saved my rim.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

had the exact same thing happen to me. but mine finally let go doing 30 mph (after driving 80 mph for 30 mins)

Sucks when a very new tire goes $$$$$
Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flat run you can tell by the wear pattern on the outside sidewall. Been doing this for a long time and it was definetly flat run.

Should make sure its not a manufacturer defect before you bash the tire company alot of people on here dont know their *** from a hole in the ground and will completely write a company off because something like this is blamed on nitto.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have these tires, in the NT05 and NT05R version (street and drag radial) and i love them. i never had a problem, but if you got the warrenty from discount tire, then they will replace it for free. definitly driven flat. good thing the car wasnt hurt
Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

555r's are no better, had the same thing happen to me with them.