Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

rim restoration...need advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rim restoration...need advise

ok so i bought a set of fittipaldi force rims (18x9.5 on all corners) for $350 with tires (minus 1 slashed tire)...good deal right? well in the condition they are/were in they look lik ****
rim restoration...need advise-100_1172.jpg
rim restoration...need advise-100_1173.jpg
whenever i get some free time i try to work on them and so far this is what ive done so far
rim restoration...need advise-100_1161.jpg
rim restoration...need advise-100_1165.jpg
my arsenal has been
rim restoration...need advise-100_1177.jpg
*the lacquer thinner-my uncle bought it for me and i was using that on a sham-wow and just rubbing that on the rim but that was takin waaay too long and takin waaay too much effort
*aircraft remover-i heard it will take everything off of anything and for the most part it did.
*gloss enamel paint-i hope it gives me a shiny/glossy effect
*clear coat-well duh...protect your work
*600 grit wet/dry sandpaper-scuff the rim followed by 1000 and if necessary 1500(i heard it helps enhance the shine..idk ima n00b)

the first progress picture was the rim that was lacquered first. i got the paint off the face of the spokes and after that...nothing...no paint moved at all but then a sprayed it with aircraft remover and the majority of if it crumbled off(awesome!) this is an sample of whats left on that rim
rim restoration...need advise-100_1162.jpg
rim restoration...need advise-100_1163.jpg
rim restoration...need advise-100_1164.jpg

the other rim was simply aircrafted. this is wats left on that
rim restoration...need advise-100_1166.jpg
rim restoration...need advise-100_1167.jpg

at this point my question is wat should i be doing do finish my prep work? like can i just sand the rest of this down and if so with wat grit? ive got 600 right now but i think i need something more aggressive if im gonna get the remaining paint off. im also gonna prime wen everything has been sanded and cleaned.

and finally the lip of the rims will be as close to NBM (color of my car) as possible and the face will b black. i want it to have a gloss look so what can i do to enhance that effect.

any advice and feedback would be greatly appeciated thanks in advance
Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

paint remover til all traces are off.......if you do those small spots by hand...........it will take forever.......and get the tires off
Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there any specific thing i should be using to get the remaining paint off? lik microfiber towel, sponge old rag...cuz as is, ive been using i spoon(yes a spoon) to scrape the paint off after i let the aircraft remover sit