Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Had my WS6 wheels widened!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So wheres the best place to get one? And will I have to roll the fenders if I'm lowered?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! How does the inside of the wheel look where they widened it? Did they smooth it out where its not noticable?
Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How did you ship out your wheels? And what kind of box did you put them in? Did you ship them separately or in the same box? Thanks
Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dabest09
That's gonna look great. What size spacer would I need to get my stock ws6 wheels flush with the rear fender?
There has been a thread or two about guys running a 1" spacer to get the wheel/tire to sit more flush with the fender. Im running one out of necessity, to clear my wider wheels, but it sits just inside the fender, and looks MEAN from behind, with just a little tire peaking out past the bumper. Heres a few more pics.

Originally Posted by Rickenbackerman
NV, your thread, pics, and replies on the subject were a big part of my deciding to do this. There's some info around, but not a lot. Maybe we could consolidate and make a sticky. Thanks for posting!
Thanks, Im glad I can help! If you need anything, just shoot me a PM any time!

Since you have the same wheels I do, you can actually run longer/stronger studs in your axles for peace of mind. I have the 1" spacer, and have the ARP 2.5" (7708) Studs. They are uncut, and fit into the back of the mounting face, with no problem. Ive been thinkin about throwing some in my adapter too, because I can be mean to my car sometimes lol.

Originally Posted by Cape T/A
Looks good! How does the inside of the wheel look where they widened it? Did they smooth it out where its not noticable?
Mine were done by wheels america, and while they arent as nice as the welds from Weldcraft, since the addition is so far back inside the wheel, its hard to see without getting down and looking for it.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

I got my adapters (not spacers as NVR pointed out!) last night, did some test fitting of the drivers side wheel.

Crappy cell pics, but you get the idea. I think this is going to work out great. I have ~1/4" between the wheel and the bumpstop. The rear axle is at full droop in these pics. Will likely have to rent 69TA's fender roller tool, but I don't think I will need to BFH the inner fenderwell at all. We'll see when the tires get here, though. I ordered NT05's in 275/40 and 315/35.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Looks great.....nice ride!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i never understood the whole widening of stock wheels thing, besides wanting wider tires, but you can hardly tell IMO.

either way, nice tires!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by desertLS1
i never understood the whole widening of stock wheels thing, besides wanting wider tires, but you can hardly tell IMO.

either way, nice tires!
You know, I agree. It is a great stealth factor if thats what your going for. Also if your in love with the stockers, its and affordable option.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rickenbackerman
I got my adapters (not spacers as NVR pointed out!) last night, did some test fitting of the drivers side wheel.

Crappy cell pics, but you get the idea. I think this is going to work out great. I have ~1/4" between the wheel and the bumpstop. The rear axle is at full droop in these pics. Will likely have to rent 69TA's fender roller tool, but I don't think I will need to BFH the inner fenderwell at all. We'll see when the tires get here, though. I ordered NT05's in 275/40 and 315/35.
Your wheels should clear the bump stops pretty well, but the tires are going to buldge on the wheels some, so when it starts to really droop the tires will get DAMN close!! I didnt have to hammer much at all when I had the 555Rs, but when I switched to the 555s I had to move some metal. I did pretty much all my BFG mods in the front of the well, near the LCA. I only rubbed on the fender when the car was weighed down, but rolled em anyway.

Also, I noticed the lowering springs, do you have an adjustable PHR on there too? It will make your life much easier with the rear centered up.

Originally Posted by desertLS1

either way, nice tires!
Thats why I like it.. From the side, people will most likely assume its just the stock wheel/tire out back, but theres no doubt from the rear, it aint stock.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NVR SPDS was some good inspiration for me when I got mine Done. OP, if you haven't bought tires yet, I would highly recommend going with 335's especially if you are going with Nitto's. I can just barely tell the difference with the 315's on mine. I can see it but I have to look hard.

I went with a 1.25 adapter and still had to BFH the inner fender. Some do and some don't. No clue why. If you are still at stock ride height then you "shouldn't" need the fender roller but you will definately want the adjustable PHB as NVR SPDS said.

Regardless get some rubber and mount those things a get us some better pics!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Your wheels should clear the bump stops pretty well, but the tires are going to buldge on the wheels some, so when it starts to really droop the tires will get DAMN close!! I didnt have to hammer much at all when I had the 555Rs, but when I switched to the 555s I had to move some metal. I did pretty much all my BFG mods in the front of the well, near the LCA. I only rubbed on the fender when the car was weighed down, but rolled em anyway.

Also, I noticed the lowering springs, do you have an adjustable PHR on there too? It will make your life much easier with the rear centered up.
I don't yet, but I will before this thing even hits the road. You're on stock springs, yes? Yep, I'm running Stranos.

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
NVR SPDS was some good inspiration for me when I got mine Done. OP, if you haven't bought tires yet, I would highly recommend going with 335's especially if you are going with Nitto's. I can just barely tell the difference with the 315's on mine. I can see it but I have to look hard.

I went with a 1.25 adapter and still had to BFH the inner fender. Some do and some don't. No clue why. If you are still at stock ride height then you "shouldn't" need the fender roller but you will definately want the adjustable PHB as NVR SPDS said.

Regardless get some rubber and mount those things a get us some better pics!
315's are already ordered, besides from what I've read the NT05 don't run narrow like some of their other tires.

And it's going to be awhile before I get the fool thing out of the shop, kinda got my hands full at the moment...

Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Yup, Im still running stock springs on mine.

Boy that last picture sure does look familiar LOL

Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Great minds think alike! LOL... Although I had the pull the heads back off, got a few lifters getting sticky right before they hit the base circle of the cam...

Tires should be here today!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I have always liked the look of the factory WS6 wheel
Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Test fit last night with the springs removed and the axle jacked up to the bumpstop.

Clearance looks great, I have tons of room on the inside of the wheel. And I think it looks awesome with the fat rubber and wheels spaced out an inch. Only about 1/4" to the fender lip though, so I'm PM-ing 69TA to rent his fender roller tool.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

looks good man
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good! Get a good shot from the rear!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Ive already whored out mine, lets see more of yours!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NXPRSS
Looks AWESOME! i remember a guy on here widened his SS wheels for the rear, and had the fronts cut to be skinnies! looked great! Keep us updated!
Really..? is this possible..? I'd like that on my stock zr1's.. Have a proffesional cut the fronts and making the stocker zr1's as a skinnies..

Any info on who can do this....? or who has..??
Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Ive already whored out mine, lets see more of yours!
Haha! Soon... Still working to finish up my H/C/I swap. The car is still on jackstands. Waiting on pushrods, they should be here this week hopefully...

Oh and thanks to 69TA, my fenders have been rolled!

Quick Reply: Had my WS6 wheels widened!