Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Don't buy vw (or cheap) skinny tires!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoLLo
So these were just regular old skinny tires for a beetle? That blows (no pun intended)
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
OP, correct me if I am wrong, but I think he just bought a pair of inexpensive Kumho tires in a "skinny" size not necessarily tires specifically for a VW. I have seen so many similar setups on the street, at the track and in the forums.
Correct, they were not made specifically for a VW, but they will fit on certain VW beetles. They are just cheap Kumho tires that are skinny on a 3.5'' race wheel. This is how some of the firestone tire wrecks happened when the huge recall was going on a while ago. The tread detached itself from the tire and f****ed the club up..

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
... M/T Sportsman 8 ply fronts here too ... !

As further advice ... race tires do have an "expiration date" ... rule of thumb is 4 years after the date of manufacture. Don't get suckered into buying old, hard race tires whether new or used. The last 4 digits of the TIN (Tire Identification Number) indicates the 2 digit month and 2 digit year of the manufacture date. If you buy used, always ask for a photo of the TIN before buying and, if buying new, be sure they are not NOS (New Old Stock).
That's really good information! I bought new ones for sure. I don't feel like skimping. I'll check them when they get here. Thanks a lot man!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow! i've gone 150+ on those tires quite a few times. Happy my sportsmans just came in today

Quick Reply: Don't buy vw (or cheap) skinny tires!!!