Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Cheaping out on tires is putting your life at unnecessary risk

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Cheaping out on tires is putting your life at unnecessary risk

Buy the BEST tires you can afford for everything you drive is my personal philosophy but regardless it sickens me to see guys build a performance oriented car then cheap out and put sub par tires on the thing. More often than not this is the reason they wipe out. Case in point I was first on the scene to this crash last night and wanted to put it out there to anyone who reads this.

If you cant afford TOP quality tires? Dont build a fast car then.

http://www.cp24.com/news/man-suffers...lover-1.892203
Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is often over looked. A lot of people have the mindset that tires are black and round. There is a lot of technology involved in a tire.

#1 Handling mod - Tires #1 Braking mod - Tires . Not only is Hook up traction important but its nice to be able to turn and stop at high speed. This is an area you do not want to take the cheap route.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not just your life your risking. Its your passengers, and other drivers.

This is also the main reason that I absolutely HATE to see big (20"+) wheels on cars with stock brakes. If you got big brakes, do it to it, but Ive seen testing where the bigger, heavier wheels ADD 50+ feet to your stopping distance on stock brakes. These things cant accelerate, and sure as hell cant stop!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree to a point. The link you have doesnt really convince me but I know what your saying.

Primer spots and mismatched tires? Does that mean he had 17" and 18" tires? Or like a stock ZL1 different tire widths? That story isnt very clear.

I went from an expensive tire to a cheap tire on my Z28 and I love the cheap tires.

IMO propor tire stup includes tread depth, design, size, age, etc- much more than cost.

Id rather have brand new cheap tires than worn out 555's.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

I agree. Tires are one of the worst place where people like to be cheap with their car. I have never understood it. Especially with tires like Wide Ovals, Cooper S-3's, and such in the $130-$150 range for a 275/40/17, going with a pile of crap tire for $100 makes no sense.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

agree 100 percent, totaled my first ss due to trying to scimp on tires (thats what i believe anyways). had just gone to a used tire shop and put shitty tires on a set of rims i had, just so i didnt have to wear out my drs on the street. 2 days later i spun coming into a turn, caught a culvert pipe and flipped it.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Don't jump the gun and blame the tires.
The first part of the story clearly states that the officers believe that excessive speed/alcohol were factors in the crash.
Sounds like they are looking into other contributing things such as the tires.
Many many people run "mis-matched" tires and do just fine.
Put "speed too fast for conditions"and a little "booze" in the mix, and any tire can leave you with the same end result.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Buy the BEST tires you can afford for everything you drive is my personal philosophy but regardless it sickens me to see guys build a performance oriented car then cheap out and put sub par tires on the thing. More often than not this is the reason they wipe out. Case in point I was first on the scene to this crash last night and wanted to put it out there to anyone who reads this.

If you cant afford TOP quality tires? Dont build a fast car then.
Says the guy with the home built 8.8 in his sig lol! So to prevent a possible crash I should buy the F1 Supercar tires at almost $400 each instead of the ones I only paid $110 for? Tell us what tires you run bro. The car had mismatched tires but the police believe alcohol & speed were factors. I would agree. Driving too fast for the conditions is usually what causes accidents. You have no clue what youre talking about.

http://www.cp24.com/news/man-suffers...lover-1.892203[/QUOTE]
Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

redundant

Last edited by cam; 06-24-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Driver mod is the most important factor in accident prevention IMHO.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I see this thread going no where other than down the crapper. No where in that article said anything about the guy having crappy, cheap tires, it just said mismatched tires. Who says he wasn't running the same brand tire but a different style?

There is not enough info about this guy's wreck to even begin saying it was the tires fault. Lets just forget the fact that he had done or was doing the number on factor of this wreck IMHO, drinking and high speeds maybe? That's like saying people don't kill people, guns are the factor of all the shootings when the firearm is controlled by the user, not the other way around, same can be said here.

If the guy hadn't been drinking and driving down the road like a bat out of hell, the end results would have been completely different and the guy would more than likely be at home with the car sitting in his driveway instead of him laying in a hospital bed and the car sitting in either a junk yard or a police impound yard for them to investigate.

Another thing, what in the world would the paint being mismatched as well have a freaking thing to do with it? What, was the glare from the mismatch paint messing with his vision as well just like the mismatched tires?

Until the investigation is done and over with, there shouldn't be any judgement on what actually happened for the guy to wreck. I've seen to much stuff like this being a firefighter to know not to go and throw out causes as to what happened to cause the wreck because a lot of times, you'll be wrong.

There's my $0.02 on the subject.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Driver mod #1 agreed is the biggest key to safety, this kid was clearly going too fast but would good, fresh, sticky tires have been enough to save his bacon?

As for in the article? What part of what you guys are saying has you forgetting I was first on scene plus I know cars I seriously doubt whoever drafted the news articles does, plus how often do they even comment on the tires in a crash situation? Almost never but they did in this case so if that doesnt echo my comments and the worth of this thread to you? Go think on it a while.... I saw the junk tires ( three types iirc ) and they were pretty bald. The car was crashed. So.... whats the known factors to blame? The article claimed "suspected" drinking and driving I personally didnt smell alcohol on the guy at all and he seemed very coherent for a guy bleeding out of his ears..... which isnt saying much he was wrecked up pretty bad

I started this thread with the main point of promoting safety by promoting wise choices on tire selection, nothing more.

Last edited by cam; 06-24-2014 at 01:56 AM. Reason: grammar & structure
Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Yes.. i watched a guy total his camaro into a brick wall doing 70mph around a parkway curve because he bought tires from dollar general.. not a good scene. suprising he walked out with not a mark on him!

+1 for performance tires! +1 for first responders... they dont have it easy!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
Driver mod #1 agreed.

As for in the article? What part of what you guys are saying has you forgetting I was first on scene plus I know cars I seriously doubt whoever drafted the news articles does, plus how often do they even comment on the "tires' in a crash situation? Almost never but they did in this case so if that doesnt echo my comments and the worth of this thread to you? Go think on it a while.... I saw the **** tires ( three types iirc ) and they were pretty bald. The car was crashed. So.... whats the KNOWN factors to blame? The article claimed "suspected" drinking and driving I personally didnt smell alcohol on the guy at all and he seemed very coherent for a guy bleeding out of his ears.....

So we dont KNOW that he was drinking all we KNOW is he crashed, and I saw the POS car and the poo tires and thats and started this thread with the main point of safe building practices has flown over y'all and thats sad and scary truthfully.... Im trying to help save lives here with the double bonus of making your car more fun to drive Im not trying to win pissing wars

The motives of this thread were to "try" to get some people who may be thinking of cheaping out on tires to RETHINK that plan. I didnt expect this mess of garbage that this thread has turned into but thats this forum these days.... theres no respect for anyone anymore its the blind leading the blind.

TECH.....? Whats tech? Wheres the tech in these above posts? Geez guys.....
You mad bro?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
I see this thread going no where other than down the crapper. No where in that article said anything about the guy having crappy, cheap tires, it just said mismatched tires. Who says he wasn't running the same brand tire but a different style?

There is not enough info about this guy's wreck to even begin saying it was the tires fault. Lets just forget the fact that he had done or was doing the number on factor of this wreck IMHO, drinking and high speeds maybe? That's like saying people don't kill people, guns are the factor of all the shootings when the firearm is controlled by the user, not the other way around, same can be said here.

If the guy hadn't been drinking and driving down the road like a bat out of hell, the end results would have been completely different and the guy would more than likely be at home with the car sitting in his driveway instead of him laying in a hospital bed and the car sitting in either a junk yard or a police impound yard for them to investigate.

Another thing, what in the world would the paint being mismatched as well have a freaking thing to do with it? What, was the glare from the mismatch paint messing with his vision as well just like the mismatched tires?

Until the investigation is done and over with, there shouldn't be any judgement on what actually happened for the guy to wreck. I've seen to much stuff like this being a firefighter to know not to go and throw out causes as to what happened to cause the wreck because a lot of times, you'll be wrong.

There's my $0.02 on the subject.

Exactly. Perhaps if the OP wants to make a real contribution to the community should be, advice against drunk driving and speeding. Im pretty sure that guy would have ended up the same way even with the best tires in the world.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chaman
Exactly. Perhaps if the OP wants to make a real contribution to the community should be, advice against drunk driving and speeding. Im pretty sure that guy would have ended up the same way even with the best tires in the world.
Im pretty sure everyone is aware of the drinking and driving concerns and this thread in NO WAY advocates that BUT... Im not the guy whos going to say he was drunk when i dont know he was ( I dont think he was drunk personally ) all I can say is until I know that as fact? I'm not going to speculate. Not happy that I offered some positive advice on tire and general car safety to those that it might help? Ummmmm okay how thoughtful of you to mention

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
You mad bro?
Not mad at all just trying to stay on topic and still very perplexed how anyone could object or find fault with a guy whos simply trying to give some solid advice. There quite simply is NO ARGUMENT that can stand to reason that new, top quality tires, makes your car safer. More control = more safety.

Drinking and driving? Removing control

Bald tires? Removing control.

Anyways im done with this thread and most of the posters in here I wish you luck with whatever tires you choose to run just try and be smart about it and less smart *** will y'all?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

lol this is ls1tech bro, if its not about about max rwhp, then nobody cares lol
Old 08-01-2012, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

First your saying how cheap tires are bad, now your saying bald tires are bad.

Ill agree with that.

Try to say my brand new Nexen N3000's are dangerous...that I dont agree with.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

its oviuos the kid was a "fast and furious" wannabe, and probly couldnt have handled all 150HP even with good tires. i agree good tires are important, but wouldnt have saved this idiot. dont want anyone to get hurt, but the car is in a much better place now, off the street, and same for the kid.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
flintwrench.... F1 supergarbage whas that u say? Stunning speach there Im sure you ball all the ladies with your slick rick rollin playa.... Your exactly the kind of nonthinker who should heed this advice...
Just because you "rolled up" right after this fast & furious douchenozzle crashed his ride ya think that makes you some kind of crash expert? Was it wet out? If so I will agree bald tires but not necessarliy cheap tires could be a contributing factor. Problem is what you say doesnt line up at all with whats reported. I know you dont wanna believe it but again speed & alcohol were said to be factors. A breathalizer test couldve been given or just drivers admittance of a few drinks that night is all thats needed. Doesnt matter if you couldnt smell it.

Youre a great example of "stunning speech bra"
Tires are the single most important part of any performance car and anyone who doesnt understand that seriously needs to think about playing more Mario Kart and leaving the road driving to the ones who know this because if you dont realize that every bit of that is true? Then your simply too dumb to be handling hi-perf machinery and shouldnt own one
Been running mine on nearly bald rear tires for a while now, even in the rain. I dont drive like a fast & furious wannabe though either.

Quick Reply: Cheaping out on tires is putting your life at unnecessary risk