Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What tires for 190+ MPH for the standing mile?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Seems like he did apologize in the past, but you've been to angry to hear it.

Why don't you take this approach... ask them which tires are permitted, then chose one of them to run.

This is a safety issue and concern. It's not like it's a modification rule where they said you could run carbon fiber components, then say you can't due to different competition requirements. IT"S FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!!!
They said "sorry for not allowing drag radials", and "sorry for the inconvenience". I was looking for one more tailored to "sorry for getting your hopes up, and changing our minds later", as they promised in the start that you would be able to run with just a car that doesn't leak that is properly registered, and a license. I can get other tires and run, but I hate being promised something and then later having things changed with a simple "sorry it will be an inconvenience". Its not just me, there are lots of other guys that have a lot more now they have to do to run the mile, when before they were told they could run as is. Many will now not be able to run the event. Which is all fine and dandy, except they were told from the start otherwise.

I get why they had to do it. It just could have been dealt with better. I was not looking to get into it here. They are the ones that joined the forum just to continue the debate, not me. All I was looking for here was simply opinions for what tires to run. They recommend the R6, but did say others. The R6 is great for just the event. But I would think money would be better spent on something that can be used on the highway as well (R6's are not recommended for highway use).
Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CALL911
Meanwhile, the Michigan mile saw it as all drag radials are dangerous, and they will not allow drag radials to be used on any car no matter what the speed. I pleaded my case saying that the Nitto 555R is DOT approved with a ZR rating at Y which is up to 189 MPH, and that is why the Texas mile allows them to be used on cars not breaking the 190 MPH mark. But they still said "no". I even contacted Nitto directly, and they said they fully approved the use of the 555R up to 189 MPH for the standing mile as long as it did not exceed 189 MPH.

In any event, I tried doing more research, and the only ZR rated tires that are specifically good beyond 189 MPH are "Z" rated. There are really just a handful out there that make them (Hankook, Dunlap for example). Sizes on these are even more limited.

My question in all this mess is this, what tire should be used for this? I know the R6 tire can be used, but it is specifically NOT for any use outside racing. In other words; no highway use. What do guys who run the mile over 200 MPH use? And how picky where they in the inspection of the tires for the event?
Originally Posted by The Michigan Mile
Lets make it plain and simple since you like to continue this argument no matter how polite we are about it Ben. We have said numerous time that we are sorry for the inconvenience and also stated that we are working on getting a tire sponsor to reduce costs for those who would like to participate. We have talked to numerous companies about using DR's and the tire techs all said that DR's have softer sidewalks which can lead to ballooning at higher speeds. SAFETY is our upmost concern here Ben, it seems to me that you don't quite understand that. Feel free to do 190 MPH on a DR's on your own time at a desperate location. As an event organizer we will at no time put participants, spectators, or volunteers in any sort of danger. That being said, we have decided that there will be NO DR's allowed for this event. If you have an issue with this I apologize again. But due to insurance and safety, it is a risk we are NOT willing to take. Thank you and have a wonderful day Ben!
So Nitto approves the 555R for 189 but other "tire techs" say they will balloon? I'm pretty sure even street tires will balloon to some degree at those speeds. What's the point in having a 189mph manufacturer rating if you can't use them in a sanctioned event?

Also, why would he want to do 190mph on drags on his "own time" when 1 mile events exists? Kind of defeats the purpose

I think the best "street tire" would be the Michelin Pilot Sport cups $$$$:

Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
So Nitto approves the 555R for 189 but other "tire techs" say they will balloon? I'm pretty sure even street tires will balloon to some degree at those speeds. What's the point in having a 189mph manufacturer rating if you can't use them in a sanctioned event?

Also, why would he want to do 190mph on drags on his "own time" when 1 mile events exists? Kind of defeats the purpose

I think the best "street tire" would be the Michelin Pilot Sport cups $$$$:

Yeah, the techs told me the 555Rs would be safe doing 189 MPH all day long, but because they are classified as a drag radial it's a no go on the event.

Thanks for the recommendation, someone else mentioned them to me also. I'll look into them.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I get it that you're pissed but did you pay money already and won't be refunded?

I see this no different than showing up to a dragstrip that says, hey run what you brung, and then when you show up, you find out they are now going to conform to NHRA or IHRA rules for insurance reasons and won't let you run if you don't pass tech inspection.

They chose to get insurance, and insurance stipulates no DR, so you're beat. Conform with the rules, or don't go. I don't see what the big deal is, and please don't say they promised and got your hopes up, you sound like my 4 and 6 years old crying about not going out for ice cream.

Get a set of TOYO R888's and call it a day.

The high speed guys run them all the time and claim they are stable.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

No, it's that they had a lot of people interested based purely on the fact they claimed this event would not be like the rest that were strict, and the mandatory items that are required for the others would not be mandatory for theirs. This meant many people who were unable to run in the others be it for a factory 4 lug design or other reason, could finally be able to do the standing mile. It's not a money thing.

It's not like telling your kids they can't have ice cream today. It's like promising them ice cream, and then telling them later they can never have it.

Not really a huge deal for someone like me who just needs tires. It's those out there who now can't go period do to the vast and expensive changes that are now required.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

**** changes. Fact is, they probably were advised legally to get insurance or else bad things could happen. Once insurance got involved, the rules changed.

So with the ice-cream analogy, it's like me promising ice cream only to find out the the one they wanted to go to was closed, so things change.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

We are definitely beating a dead horse with this one. "Yes", that seems to be the situation.

Quick Reply: What tires for 190+ MPH for the standing mile?