Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What tires for 190+ MPH for the standing mile?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What tires for 190+ MPH for the standing mile?

So, as many of you know, the Michigan Mile is a new standing mile event coming up in a few months. At first they publicly stated it would be different than the rest, with not being strict on the safety rules that others had. This was great news to myself and others that refuse to alter their street car, but would love to participate in the event.

Well, as my buddy predicted, that all changed when they looked into insuring the event.

Now, they have many rules just as strict or more strict than the standard Texas mile and other events.

My big issue is tires. The won't allow drag radials at all. The Texas mile had a few MT Drag Radials blow out in cars going beyond 200+MPH. MT Drag radials are not speed rated for those types of speeds and as a result, why they blew. The Texas mile has since, banned all MT drag radials from their event, but they continue to allow other drag radials on cars going up to but not exceeding the 190 MPH mark.

Meanwhile, the Michigan mile saw it as all drag radials are dangerous, and they will not allow drag radials to be used on any car no matter what the speed. I pleaded my case saying that the Nitto 555R is DOT approved with a ZR rating at Y which is up to 189 MPH, and that is why the Texas mile allows them to be used on cars not breaking the 190 MPH mark. But they still said "no". I even contacted Nitto directly, and they said they fully approved the use of the 555R up to 189 MPH for the standing mile as long as it did not exceed 189 MPH.

In any event, I tried doing more research, and the only ZR rated tires that are specifically good beyond 189 MPH are "Z" rated. There are really just a handful out there that make them (Hankook, Dunlap for example). Sizes on these are even more limited.

My question in all this mess is this, what tire should be used for this? I know the R6 tire can be used, but it is specifically NOT for any use outside racing. In other words; no highway use. What do guys who run the mile over 200 MPH use? And how picky where they in the inspection of the tires for the event?

Last edited by CALL911; 05-27-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoosier , Nitto or Toyo
Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Yes I realize those are tire companies. I am asking what specific tire from each company.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

...and if possible their actual speed rating
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup ZP... the same tires the Corvette ZR.1 and Z06 use.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets make it plain and simple since you like to continue this argument no matter how polite we are about it Ben. We have said numerous time that we are sorry for the inconvenience and also stated that we are working on getting a tire sponsor to reduce costs for those who would like to participate. We have talked to numerous companies about using DR's and the tire techs all said that DR's have softer sidewalks which can lead to ballooning at higher speeds. SAFETY is our upmost concern here Ben, it seems to me that you don't quite understand that. Feel free to do 190 MPH on a DR's on your own time at a desperate location. As an event organizer we will at no time put participants, spectators, or volunteers in any sort of danger. That being said, we have decided that there will be NO DR's allowed for this event. If you have an issue with this I apologize again. But due to insurance and safety, it is a risk we are NOT willing to take. Thank you and have a wonderful day Ben!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Michigan Mile
Lets make it plain and simple since you like to continue this argument no matter how polite we are about it Ben. We have said numerous time that we are sorry for the inconvenience and also stated that we are working on getting a tire sponsor to reduce costs for those who would like to participate. We have talked to numerous companies about using DR's and the tire techs all said that DR's have softer sidewalks which can lead to ballooning at higher speeds. SAFETY is our upmost concern here Ben, it seems to me that you don't quite understand that. Feel free to do 190 MPH on a DR's on your own time at a desperate location. As an event organizer we will at no time put participants, spectators, or volunteers in any sort of danger. That being said, we have decided that there will be NO DR's allowed for this event. If you have an issue with this I apologize again. But due to insurance and safety, it is a risk we are NOT willing to take. Thank you and have a wonderful day Ben!
Its your show, and your call. I have stated my position on the matter, and I understand what you need to do, even if myself, and Nitto agree that the 555R's will be fine for the usage up to 189.

It would be nice if you offered an apology to those that originally asked what the requirements for this event would be, and were told a license was needed, a simple car inspection, and a registered car that didn't leak would be allowed to participate with no further requirements for the car. This got a lot of people interested in the event as we were told this would not be like the others and that it would be more of a big boy event where the responsibility of driving the mile safely would bear more on the individual driving, rather than having the onslaught of safety items that we are now told are part of the Michigan Mile.

Your choice to get us interested upon false terms, then change it to more strict rules has lost many participants. From a safety and insurance side of it, again, I understand why you needed to do so. But all the same, it would be nice if a simple apology was given to those of us excited to enter on what we were originally told the event would be.

On a totally different note, do you have info on the airshow? Are you looking for more on the airshow. PM me if you'd like, as I am friends with the owner of GreyOut who regularly performs in airshows accross the country, but is located out of Indianapolis.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

it still sounds like a good event.. wish i was up there
Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Hoosier R6. Stay out of rain and they are fine on the highway.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

, but you might want to check with them anyways. Especially since the R6 looks extremely close to the hoosier drag radial. It sounds like their reasoning is based upon the softer sidewalls that the drag radials have and the R6 does not.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

R6's work great for the event. Many others have used them for the mile. They are specifically not for highway use though. Track only.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would they allow the 555R II Extremes? The pattern appears very similar to the 555R however they have stiff sidewalls for high speed road racing. Y-rated to 186 mph.

They are clearly NOT a drag radial. I switched the 555R's on my car to the 555R II's for road race events and have been very pleased with them.

If their rule is simply defined as no drag radials and a speed rating compliant with your intended speed, these should be good up to 186 mph.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Toyo R888s.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Would they allow the 555R II Extremes? The pattern appears very similar to the 555R however they have stiff sidewalls for high speed road racing. Y-rated to 186 mph.

They are clearly NOT a drag radial. I switched the 555R's on my car to the 555R II's for road race events and have been very pleased with them.

If their rule is simply defined as no drag radials and a speed rating compliant with your intended speed, these should be good up to 186 mph.

They are not labelled as a drag radial so I would think/hope so. But they look almos identical to the 555R drag radial, so whoever is checking tires at the event would need to know the difference between the two, otherwise I can see them not allowing the run based upon not knowing the difference.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CALL911
R6's work great for the event. Many others have used them for the mile. They are specifically not for highway use though. Track only.
I have them on my car and I stand by my statement.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MPM IV
I have them on my car and I stand by my statement.
I believe you. But when the manufacturer says they are not for street use, that would be enough for me. They wouldn't be good anyways as I do drive in the rain when I have to.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They are not labelled as a drag radial so I would think/hope so. But they look almos identical to the 555R drag radial, so whoever is checking tires at the event would need to know the difference between the two, otherwise I can see them not allowing the run based upon not knowing the difference.
Yes, they appear identical to the 555R. Given the communication you've already had with the people organizing the event, I'd go ahead and have the conversation to be sure they understand the difference between the two models.

If they're willing to research the composition and intended use of the 555R II's, I think they would find it's a solution both you and the event organizers would be comfortable with.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Yes, they appear identical to the 555R. Given the communication you've already had with the people organizing the event, I'd go ahead and have the conversation to be sure they understand the difference between the two models.

If they're willing to research the composition and intended use of the 555R II's, I think they would find it's a solution both you and the event organizers would be comfortable with.
For those wanting to run the 555R II's I would suggest bringing it to their attention. Given my particular heated debate with them, and the fact it seems they joined this forum just to continue their argument, and then not post anymore, I don't believe you want me pleading the 555R II's case.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Its your show, and your call. I have stated my position on the matter, and I understand what you need to do, even if myself, and Nitto agree that the 555R's will be fine for the usage up to 189.

It would be nice if you offered an apology to those that originally asked what the requirements for this event would be, and were told a license was needed, a simple car inspection, and a registered car that didn't leak would be allowed to participate with no further requirements for the car. .
Originally Posted by The Michigan Mile
Seems like he did apologize in the past, but you've been to angry to hear it.

Why don't you take this approach... ask them which tires are permitted, then chose one of them to run.

This is a safety issue and concern. It's not like it's a modification rule where they said you could run carbon fiber components, then say you can't due to different competition requirements. IT"S FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

You want to make sure the speed rating is (Y) which is a 186+

Quick Reply: What tires for 190+ MPH for the standing mile?