Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Question about Bias ply tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about Bias ply tires

My wheels are on the way, 17x4.5 fronts and 15x10 rears Race Stars, Ive got some DR's on the rear and ordered some M&H front runners, 26x4.5x17. First experience with bias ply tires. The car isnt a daily driver anymore but is a tagged registered car and does see street time, car cruises, car shows, etc etc. I didnt notice that M&H makes radial fronts for 17s until I already ordered these bias plys... What can I expect? still better then Nexens at 130mph I suppose lol
Old 05-03-2013, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I would ditch the radials and find some bias ply ET streets or Hoosiers.

My experience with mixing was enough to make me gun shy.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

i run M/T bias ply in the rear and 15inch nexens in the front.. never had any issues at the track. but i only trap 124. have a couple friends who do the same..
Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ballzee
i run M/T bias ply in the rear and 15inch nexens in the front.. never had any issues at the track. but i only trap 124. have a couple friends who do the same..
I only trap 111mph. Im just running bias fronts. Any opinions on the fronts?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I would ditch the radials and find some bias ply ET streets or Hoosiers.

My experience with mixing was enough to make me gun shy.
Gun shy?
Why?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bias plys on the street wonder a lot. They will grab every groove in the road. I drove my hoosier qtps on the street once and will not do it again. Mixing a radial with a bias ply only makes the issue worse. I was at the track (my car traps 117) and the combination of a radial on the front and bias ply slick on the back made the car get extremely loose. I let out every time was not worth the risk for me.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
Bias plys on the street wonder a lot. They will grab every groove in the road. I drove my hoosier qtps on the street once and will not do it again. Mixing a radial with a bias ply only makes the issue worse. I was at the track (my car traps 117) and the combination of a radial on the front and bias ply slick on the back made the car get extremely loose. I let out every time was not worth the risk for me.
i would agree, they do wander on the street..
Old 05-07-2013, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyz
Gun shy?
Why?
It makes the back end feel like it's squirming around. The *** end felt like it was wagging. By the time I got up to 50mph it felt like I might as well have been jerking the wheel left to right.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

so i mounted them up today. the front wheels took about 2 ounces on one and 4 on the other, seemed a lil high but surprised i got them balanced to 0. Once again for those who maybe didnt pay attention. The rear are radials and front are bias ply bc the lack of choices out there. I drove it down the road and didnt seemed bad, the front was unresponsive but what do you expect going from a 9 inch wide wheel to 4.5 inch wide. But all in all pleased and drove fine at 50mph. I dont go much faster then that here in Delaware, other then at the track which is where they will perform best. Tomorrow morning I will see if they have any flat spots or dropping air pressures. Ill let everyone know, not a lot of threads on here that monitor bias fronts/radial rears... or even bias fronts for that matter.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 432 Likes on 339 Posts

NHRA rules don't allow bias rear radial front. It's not enforced much . I have had some friends run that way and have problems and some have been fine.

Bias front and radial rear is legal.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
While I agree that the bias ply's do tend to follow the grooves that a radial would ignore it is certainly not anymore then an anoyance. As for the track what psi were you at? What was your tire width and rim width?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
It makes the back end feel like it's squirming around. The *** end felt like it was wagging. By the time I got up to 50mph it felt like I might as well have been jerking the wheel left to right.
Have not experienced anything like you describe. My car drives just fine. It does follow grooves in the road more then a radial, but nothing even close to what you are saying.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to run radial fronts you could use 165/80X15's these are for VW beetles and can be found for less than $70 each.

We have done this on several cars in the past with good results.

Good luck
Old 05-08-2013, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

Drove the car to work today, even in the rain it wasnt bad at all. Maybe I was just being paranoid... you can feel the uneveness of the tire at low speeds, definitely not too bad to enjoy driving the car though. Would I recommend it as the best ride, no. Will it stop me from driving it, doubt it, will i buy the radials so they balance out easier, most likely.. heres a pic of the car.
Attached Thumbnails Question about Bias ply tires-my-car.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000NemeSS
Drove the car to work today, even in the rain it wasnt bad at all. Maybe I was just being paranoid... you can feel the uneveness of the tire at low speeds, definitely not too bad to enjoy driving the car though. Would I recommend it as the best ride, no. Will it stop me from driving it, doubt it, will i buy the radials so they balance out easier, most likely.. heres a pic of the car.
I kind of figured thats what you would find once you actually drove it.
To listen to the way some of the guys on this site talk you would think your car would swerve madly out of control and hit the guardrail as soon as you exceed 50mph.
And thats simply not true.
I can tell you that after you put a few miles on them you won't notice much of a difference at all.

Quick Reply: Question about Bias ply tires