Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Drag radial vs Et Street

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a buddy that didn't like his Bias Ply M/Ts so I went with the ET Street Radials, which ride really well and traction is not an issue. I had QTPs on my car when it was six speed and had 0 issues with driving or traction. My little brother even has QTP on his six speed car now.

When ever my ET Street Radials are wore out I'm going to switch to the E.T. Pros. I have a couple of buddies that made the switch to them and swear by them.

Last edited by SMOKNSS; 06-03-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

I ran the bias ply on the highway every time I went to the track without issue but sold the wheels and tires to another guy who hated them and wouldn't drive on the street with them. Same setup different cars different results
Old 06-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Teching In

I had 305 555rs on an 18" rim on my 5.0 and they were pretty good, but I had 275 Mickeys on 17" rim on my GTO and even with the independent rear and more torque, I feel like the Mickeys had better traction.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Didn't mean to start a bitch fest here. Just trying to research what my next best move would be in regards to my rear tires. I am 44 years old tons of experience and I have run MT Et drag tires for many years on my race cars and loved them. I NEVER experienced sway like this before. I don't know if it is ONLY tire or if it is a combination of issues. My assumption is that I have a combination of things going on here including I am new to the pan hard bar/torque arm suspension. I have a complete set of drag shocks in mail and will determine what to do with my tire dilemma after checking over my suspension and rear end. I was not happy at all with yesterday's 60 foot times and I was even more disappointed in the ridiculous vibration and wandering all the way to the track. It's ridiculous at this point and it never handled like this with my Z06 rims and nitto 555's.

Clearly I am not imagining this nor am I against MT tires at all. I just don't feel like dropping 400 dollars on another pair of tires and/or tubes to experience more of this ride. I love the track but don't live there - I want to enjoy my street driving also.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
Dude, you need to calm the **** down. People have different opinions. How are you going to say someone didn't feel what they felt or had the experience they've had? Even my ET Street Radials handle like **** on the street (as in turns), even though they do fine just cruising. They also vibrate like a mother, but that is likely because they were balanced at 40psi and they are normally run at 20+ish.
Opinion has nothing to do with it.
The facts are anyone can drive my car down the road using only their thumb and index finger to steer with.
And no, the MT/ET radial does not handle like **** on the street.
They have a little bit of squiggle in sudden manuver's, and they can be touchy in the rain, but they are a pretty solid tire.
Thunderstruck507 uses them on his car for road racing.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
It's good to see you are having positive results from using them on the street.
You seem to be lucky.
When it comes down to it, why the *** would you even want to run bias ply tyres with radials on the street when you should be running bias on the front as well.
You sound like a young school kid full of bravado but little else
Lol. Because bias ply work much better then a dr on the street for launching.
Ditto for the track if the prep is iffy.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyz
They have a little bit of squiggle in sudden manuver's, and they can be touchy in the rain, but they are a pretty solid tire.
Correct. I am using a 275/50r15 matched with a 235/60r15 front tire. I have run the ET Radials everywhere from 25lbs to 17lbs on the street. Under 20lbs they get a little wiggly in sudden jogging maneuvers but I have to be looking for it to notice it.

If they have 22lbs (what I normally run for even wear on the stree) they are every bit as solid as a 420 treadwear all season Yokohama, BFG, or Toyo street tire in my case. I run mine without even being balanced and they are smooth as butter.

I have autocrossed them and ran them as hard around a private road course as my ***** would allow (on 25psi) with good results. It's worth noting we were doing 1-2 laps only on the ~1.25 mile course. They might get too hot or slimey if pushed continually for some time, I don't know.

I am not claiming this will be standard across the board for all cars and sizes, but they work great for me. If it weren't for how terrible they are in the rain I would not buy street tires for my extra wheels at all. A morning dew is enough to break the *** end loose during a turn.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran both bias ply and drag radials on my old car and always experienced some road walk with the bias ply over the radial, just how it was. I just liked having the stability I felt I got out of the radials more when we were at the track and cruising down the road. They're both good tires from a reputable company I just prefer the radial over the bias ply for cruising around town and pulling track duty both.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

Go with a drag radial.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Opinion has nothing to do with it.
The facts are anyone can drive my car down the road using only their thumb and index finger to steer with.
Yes, those are the facts with your OWN car. We are telling you the facts with our OWN cars. You can't just throw around the double standard about all you say is fact and all we say is opinion.

What other tires have you tried? I've tried them all, M&H, Goodyear,Mickeys, Phoenix FX and none compare to Hoosiers IN MY OPINION. I am entitled to my opinion, correct?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

I'm nervous about switching to the radial with the 6 speed and still being able to hook after my upgrades. I like the soft sidewall but don't want to be switching rear tires all the time (I really am beginning to sound older). Having always run bias tires on my cars previously, what would a comparable metric size radial be to my 26x10.50x15. I don't want to gain any tire height with my current 3.73 gear.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

275/50/15

I've noticed street miles can ruin an et drag/street fast on our streets.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1BADZ
275/50/15

I've noticed street miles can ruin an et drag/street fast on our streets.
Ready to fire your beast up yet? ;-)
Old 06-04-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by high impact
Ready to fire your beast up yet? ;-)
Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Yes, those are the facts with your OWN car. We are telling you the facts with our OWN cars. You can't just throw around the double standard about all you say is fact and all we say is opinion.

What other tires have you tried? I've tried them all, M&H, Goodyear,Mickeys, Phoenix FX and none compare to Hoosiers IN MY OPINION. I am entitled to my opinion, correct?
You should probably check your suspension for worn part's.
It happens so gradually over time that you may not even notice untill you do something as simple as running bias ply tires.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

You should probably check your suspension for worn part's.
It happens so gradually over time that you may not even notice untill you do something as simple as running bias ply tires.
If that was the case it would do it with the street tires on and it does not on my car. One of our cars is using a 4 link suspension with heim joints at all ends so there is no play and it did it when we first put the car together on a set of 28x12.5x15's. We swapped over to Hoosier 28x11.5x15 and the sway at the top end of the track went away.

If you having good luck then thats good for you. I am not and neither are any of the cars in my camp and we are happy with the Hoosiers and the way they work. Don't get me wrong I used M/T's for a long time and just dealt with them until I tried the Hoosiers and never looked back.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

Where is the best place to research and price Hoosiers?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by high impact
Where is the best place to research and price Hoosiers?
is your friend.

I can beat Jegs prices among others, but I cant beat their shipping costs
Old 06-05-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

So would you guys have a preference in which Toyo tire to run? The Toyo 888's or the TQ?

Quick Reply: Drag radial vs Et Street