Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

anyone else have trouble mounting unilug race stars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone else have trouble mounting unilug race stars?

Takes me about 30 minutes to install them... It's ridiculous and even then I'm not entirely too sure that the wheel is perfectly centered. I found a youtube clip showing how one guy does it, Starting a lug and turning the wheel to the 6 o' clock position to hand tighten and then finally torque them all down. Seems to work, but idk. Do you guys have any better ways to do it?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have unilug slotted mags on my car.

I put the wheel on the stud then sit down with the tire between my legs so I can lift weight off the studs with my legs.

Using your legs wiggle it around until you can thread one nearly all the way down by hand. Skip at least 1 stud and do the same thing again then jump as far opposite of the 2 you have started as you can and do that one, it should go in easy too. Leave them loosish and do the rest then tighten them in a cross pattern like you would normal lugs.

They will pull the wheel to center. I've had my unilugs for 10 years and they are not hubcentric and this has always worked without vibrations or problems. Not as quick as standard lugs/acorns but once you do it a time or 2 it's second nature.

Biggest trick is never tighten one more than hand tight before they are ALL in and keep weight off the one you are working on to prevent crossthreading. If the slots are too tight, an extremely light cleanup pass with a dremel might help but don't do this unless it's a last resort (usually due to the wheels being damaged from over tightening or not using thick enough lug washers)
Old 08-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I have unilug slotted mags on my car.

I put the wheel on the stud then sit down with the tire between my legs so I can lift weight off the studs with my legs.

Using your legs wiggle it around until you can thread one nearly all the way down by hand. Skip at least 1 stud and do the same thing again then jump as far opposite of the 2 you have started as you can and do that one, it should go in easy too. Leave them loosish and do the rest then tighten them in a cross pattern like you would normal lugs.

They will pull the wheel to center. I've had my unilugs for 10 years and they are not hubcentric and this has always worked without vibrations or problems. Not as quick as standard lugs/acorns but once you do it a time or 2 it's second nature.

Biggest trick is never tighten one more than hand tight before they are ALL in and keep weight off the one you are working on to prevent crossthreading. If the slots are too tight, an extremely light cleanup pass with a dremel might help but don't do this unless it's a last resort (usually due to the wheels being damaged from over tightening or not using thick enough lug washers)

i use the same basic method , takes me like 15-20min to jack up the car and change both sides out
Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are the "direct drill" wheels more or less difficult?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the direct drill and they are much easier than the unilug.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Beave
I have the direct drill and they are much easier than the unilug.
What wheels/sizes are you running. If you're running a 15x10, what back spacing and did you have to do anything to get them to fit right?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

It literally takes me 5 minutes to install both rears. Ive never had a problem and mine are 15x10 unilugs
Old 08-08-2013, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

The uni lug race stars have a plastic centering ring for the wheel. Put the centering ring on the hub of the wheel then just bolt it up.

http://www.racestarindustries.com/fitmentguide.html

Quick Reply: anyone else have trouble mounting unilug race stars?