Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Best tires for stock wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tires for stock wheels?

I have a 1995 Trans Am, stock wheels. I believe 16x8 if I remember correctly is the stock wheel size. I'm looking to put 245s all around because that seems to be the largest tire I can put on my wheels. My car is daily driven in the nicer seasons so I'd like some tires that last a decent amount of time (at least 10k miles), ride comfort isn't a huge issue, my main concern is performance. I don't need drag radials, just a great set of high performance summer tires that will grip should my right foot ever feel a little heavy

I was hearing a lot of great things about the Nitto NT05 however they are not made in a 16" rim size unless I'm mistaken. Are there any other tires that are similar to them? I've been searching around online and on this forum for ideas but there seem to be not many people running stock salad shooters so it's becoming a task to find something I feel comfortable buying

Also, my front tires have maybe 25% left on them, could I just leave them as they are and get better meat in the back? My rear tires are basically slicks at this point, and if I could save some money by just swapping them and leaving the front I would be glad to. I was talking to someone about it and they said that most people will throw away the rears, and move the front to the back then put new tires in the front, but that makes no sense to me because don't you want your best tires where the power is going? That probably sounds like a dumb question but I'm only asking because the person who told me used to race for about ten years and is someone who I feel knows exactly what they're talking about.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

unfortunately there is jack **** made in our beloved 245/50/16

I got rid of my yokohama something or others for Kuhmo Ecsta AST (WORSE TIRE MADE) literally lasted me 7500 miles, might have been a defective set but I didn't want to try them again, I went to summit and picked up a set of Riken Raptor ZR tires $108/tire or something cheap. I've had them for about 12,000 miles. I daily drive my car snow, rain, dry and they didn't give me any trouble. Not as sticky as a summer performance tire but not bad. I'm now on Goodyear GS-D3 on my 17s and waiting on my 18s to arrive before switching to BFGoodrich GForce Rivals.

Honestly if your budget allows I would get a 17x9.5 wheel and run 275/40/17 on them many more choices and most are pretty reasonably priced unless you get the GoodYear GSD3 ($1400) or Michelin PS or SC.

Look on onlinetires.com for the best deals on 245/50/16 and they offer some more options that a lot of other vendors dont...

Hope this helps...This was me last year when I bought the car.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Well that's a bummer but good to know. Thanks for the info, I'll try and grab a set of wheels if my budget allows it. Hopefully it does because there really isn't much out there as far as stockers go.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take a look on oewheelsllc.com they are a vendor on here and carry a lot of different corvette replica wheels for a decent price.They have a lot out of stock right now, just call and see if they can't work a payment plan or something out with you.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can put a 255/50/16 tire on the stock 16 x 8 wheels, with no issues at all.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...0&rd=16&cs=255
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Tirerack usually has the lowest price, but the shipping is free from DTD, so compare the shipped price on both websites before ordering.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-31-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals on my 16x8s and beat the living snot out of them. I got them at tirerack.com and highly recommend them.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

I just went through this. You might find this thread interesting.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...orce-ss-s.html
Old 01-02-2014, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I just went through this. You might find this thread interesting.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...orce-ss-s.html
Thanks, very informative read. I might just go with those. I won't be purchasing tires for a month or so but when I do I think I'll put a review up here to help anyone going through the same issue later on.

Quick Reply: Best tires for stock wheels?