Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What size DR for cam only M6 4.30's

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size DR for cam only M6 4.30's

So I just ordered my new wavetrac and 4.30's for my moser 9" and am curious about the perfect tire for an 1/8 mile track. Car is an '02 SS MS3 cam only 6 speed car making 390rwhp on a mustang dyno. My 295/45/17 et street radial II's are wore out so I am in the market for a new drag radial. I've used the fbody.org calculator but am still kind of iffy, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Are you going to be daily driving on them? Driving on them only to the track? What size wheel are the tires going on?

You would want a 28" tire with 4.30s
Old 02-26-2014, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Track only tires? If so most definetly get a slick.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FinalCam
Are you going to be daily driving on them? Driving on them only to the track? What size wheel are the tires going on?

You would want a 28" tire with 4.30s
I have 17x11 zr1's as my street wheels and a set of 17x9.5 zr1's with my dr's on them. My local 1/8 track is probably under 4 miles from my house so I'm not worried about having to swap tires there as I just swap at my house and drive. I'm thinking slicks just debating on what size and the argument of bias slicks on the rear with 275/40 radial street tires up front
Old 02-26-2014, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bias plys and radials dont mix. I tried it on my car last year and swore i was going to die at 120mph. Do yourself a favor and grab some bias plys and pick up some cheap skinnies.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Bias plys and radials dont mix. I tried it on my car last year and swore i was going to die at 120mph. Do yourself a favor and grab some bias plys and pick up some cheap skinnies.
Yeah I've heard some horror stories from some about mixing the 2 and I've also heard "it's fine just don't air down much" lol I think I'll just invest in some weld's so I can run slicks and skinnies and sell my 9.5 zr1's
Old 02-27-2014, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fitzy
So I just ordered my new wavetrac and 4.30's for my moser 9" and am curious about the perfect tire for an 1/8 mile track. Car is an '02 SS MS3 cam only 6 speed car making 390rwhp on a mustang dyno. My 295/45/17 et street radial II's are wore out so I am in the market for a new drag radial. I've used the fbody.org calculator but am still kind of iffy, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
It depends... You're power/cam/gearing are about the same as mine. I am actually going to a 27" tire to see if I can 60ft and ET better. I have my limiter set at 6800, so even with that tire height I still have enough rpm to go over 120mph through the traps. If/when I spray, I will put the 28's back on. If you are going to add a bunch more power soon..go with 28s. The MS3 wants to pull hard up top, the closer I can crowd my limiter through the traps the better. Don't stay with drag radials unless you want to beat your head against the wall for wasting the money. Try a Hoosier Qtp or MT ET Drag slick with some matching bias fronts and don't look back. I daily drove MT ET Street Bias plys all last year and dont regret it one bit. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2014, 03:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Iceman02
It depends... You're power/cam/gearing are about the same as mine. I am actually going to a 27" tire to see if I can 60ft and ET better. I have my limiter set at 6800, so even with that tire height I still have enough rpm to go over 120mph through the traps. If/when I spray, I will put the 28's back on. If you are going to add a bunch more power soon..go with 28s. The MS3 wants to pull hard up top, the closer I can crowd my limiter through the traps the better. Don't stay with drag radials unless you want to beat your head against the wall for wasting the money. Try a Hoosier Qtp or MT ET Drag slick with some matching bias fronts and don't look back. I daily drove MT ET Street Bias plys all last year and dont regret it one bit. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Thanks, I'm looking for some prostars and 28" qtp's or et drags now! I plan on staying cam only for a while, might get a set of prc 2.5 5.3's soon but we'll see. Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: What size DR for cam only M6 4.30's