Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Some tire questions for stock SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some tire questions for stock SS

Hi guys,

I recently picked up my 3rd Camaro. It's a 2002 SOM SS with 7,000 miles (bought it with 3k ) It sat for a long period of time so there are some flat spots on the stock tires. I looked them up and to order them it's something like 345 a piece, f'in' crazy! I enjoy ls1 tech and the people on here, when I replace my tires if anybody wants these 'new' old ones for a burnout comp or winter est let me know and i'll put them aside, I'm in the s.w. side of Chicago.

K my a few questions, (Sponors, if you can offer a better price i'll grab from you, looking to buy from tirerack). I was looking at the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season tires. Does anybody have any feedback on these or have any different recommendations. I plan on driving the car in summer and it's pretty much my official garage queen. So a good summer time for dry conditions.

Here's a picture of her -

Any help or feedback appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:41 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Sounds like a nice find.

As another local low mileage garage queen owner, I'd recommend against the all-season tires for something that never sees rain/snow/winter temps. The benefits of such a tire would be pointless for a car that only sees road action on perfect warm days. Might as well instead get the benefits of a performance summer tire.

I too have my eye on the BFG Sport COMP-2 when the time comes to replace my current BFG KDW. I would rather buy another set of KDWs, but all they offer now is the KDW2 which I don't like as much as the original version. I usually put less than 500 miles per year on the car, and never in any rain/snow, so it doesn't need tires often.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the Sport Comp 2's on the rear of my '00 Z28. They aren't bad tires, really. For a 300 Treadwear they stick pretty good. I can light them up almost at will though, and that's with a stock motor with tune. But that I hope will help save my rear for a bit. They wear pretty well too and they perform very well in the wet. I had Continental Extreme Contact DW tires on there before that. I still actually have them on the front. I like them a little bit better. Excellent wear and they are very good in the wet. Neither tire is all that noisy either. I hope this helps a little.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Super clean car, I have the Nitto NT555 extreme ZR on mines. I like the way they sit on the wheel (little wider than stock) and it's a good looking tire. They handle and ride nicely too. My car is stock right now as well and I will say they are a little noisy at times, oddly enough around 55-60 is when I hear them the most, but other than that no complaints.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd recommend these:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...0&rd=17&cs=275
And if you must have all season tires then these:
Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I've always been happiest with Goodyears, especially the GS-D3 if they come in your size. I had them on my T/A for 6 years and they were the BEST!! I've gone to the BFG G-Force SS A/S since my 16" stock rims have few choices left anymore. I've been pleased with them so far. The BFG summer tire would be a fine choice. I highly recommend laying out the big $$$. With tires, you get what you pay for.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback, I was looking at the continentals, but decided to go with a name more synonymous with performance, so I went with the BF's.

I'll let you all know how they ride, I'll probably put them on next week I'm on 'vacation'. Hopefully this weather turns around, I wanna put the top down!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

I think you will be quite pleased with those. That's a fine looking aggressive tread design that should suit most anyone's needs. If I didn't need A/S tires I probably would have chosen those as well. Best of luck with them. Report back when you can.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Just an update for the thread. I really like the tires. The factory tires would break through first completely, and I would just sit there and spin, even though my car is stock. The new tires hold pretty well, there is definitely still slip, but only a little break. The one thing I don't care for to much is the bulge in the tires sticking way out past the rim. The factory tires were flush and these bulge out. I do like the design on the side and the tread pattern (aggressive looking) but that's kind of a sore spot for me. The road noise is pretty fair, and I have no comment for wet traction, because the only time it's wet is when it's getting hand washed If I were going to buy another set of tires, would I buy these again? If I didn't upgrade for more HP, then yes. I think it's a good price for performance.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by liquidsmooth
The one thing I don't care for to much is the bulge in the tires sticking way out past the rim. The factory tires were flush and these bulge out.
Do you mean the rim guard (sticking out past the wheel rim specifically around the lip)? The stock Goodyears didn't have a rim guard, so this would in fact be noticeably different than your old tires. Or do you just mean that the entire tire seems a bit oversized for the wheel in terms of width? If the latter, that's great to hear since I always prefer tires that are on the wide side for their size, so I'll probably go with these next as well.

I can't stand the "streched" look of tires that are too narrow for a wheel, this has become popular in recent years, and I don't even really like them to be a perfect (flush) fit either. I much prefer the classic muscle look of at least a little bulge. Just a matter of opinion though. But thanks for the report, since this is one of only 2-3 tires that I can see as options for my '98 in the future.

Did you happen to take any pictures with the tires installed? It would be great to see them on the car and perhaps some up-close fitment photos if possible.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

My daily driver needs tires, and I was looking at the BFG Sport COMP-2 and Nitto NT555. They are within $1 of each other right now at DTD in the size I need (245/45-18).

I have Nittos on my Trans Am and love them, so I'm a bit torn. I know the NT555 ride nice and are pretty quiet. But the BFGs seem pretty quiet and ride well too?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Launching!

I bought a set earlier this month to replace my KDWs (which I preferred the look of, but they were cracking between the treads)... They seem to ride very nicely, but I can't comment on wet weather performance either, as I don't drive it in the rain either...

Trying to attach pics but it's only letting me attach 1 at a time from my iphone...

Stock size 275/40/17 on SLP 17x9 ZR1 style SS wheels
Attached Thumbnails Some tire questions for stock SS-image.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Sidewall
Old 04-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Apparently it uploads sideways, too lol
Old 04-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Side profile
Old 04-25-2014, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

same tire on my ride also, no complaints here. tires ride good with my 100k stock suspension, and the terrible road conditions here.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I bought a set earlier this month to replace my KDWs (which I preferred the look of, but they were cracking between the treads)... They seem to ride very nicely, but I can't comment on wet weather performance either, as I don't drive it in the rain either...

Trying to attach pics but it's only letting me attach 1 at a time from my iphone...

Stock size 275/40/17 on SLP 17x9 ZR1 style SS wheels
Thank you for the pictures, I too have OE sized 17x9 wheels so this is a perfect representation for my application as well. This is one of the top two tires I'm considering. Looks like those tires fit the 9" wheel quite well IMO.

I too have the original KDW currently, and don't really like the Sport Comp 2 or the KDW2s as much, but eventually I'll have to pick one. The only other tire I would consider would be Goodyear GSD3s, but I've had those before and don't feel they are worth the additional price for my application.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the original KDW's and I will have to replace them soon. I contacted BFGoodrich and they don't make the KDW anymore in our size. I agree with most the KDW2 is ugly. I was looking at the Comp2 but I don't drive in the rain so I think I might go with Nitto NT05
Old 04-30-2014, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by liquidsmooth
Just an update for the thread. I really like the tires. The factory tires would break through first completely, and I would just sit there and spin, even though my car is stock. The new tires hold pretty well, there is definitely still slip, but only a little break. The one thing I don't care for to much is the bulge in the tires sticking way out past the rim. The factory tires were flush and these bulge out. I do like the design on the side and the tread pattern (aggressive looking) but that's kind of a sore spot for me. The road noise is pretty fair, and I have no comment for wet traction, because the only time it's wet is when it's getting hand washed If I were going to buy another set of tires, would I buy these again? If I didn't upgrade for more HP, then yes. I think it's a good price for performance.

Thanks!
Thanks for the followup. I'm happy with mine too. If the bulging you are talking about is the rim guard, that is a good thing!! I actually would like more of one. The Goodyear Eagle GT's on my Mustang are HUGE and I love the protection. RPM WS6 Here are two photos for comparison sake. It's tough to get the right angle but the GT (top photo) is really out there! They weren't available in the 16" size for the T/A anymore.
Attachment 449524

Attachment 449525

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-03-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Launching!

I took a few pics for you WS6, you can kind of see what I was talking about with the tire sticking over the rim. I got rid of my shitty iphone 5 because the pictures it took were worthless, good enough though that you get the idea.

Quick Reply: Some tire questions for stock SS