Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Mickey Thompson ET Street [Need Opinions]

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mickey Thompson ET Street [Need Opinions]

Hey guys. Brought my car down to the track a couple weeks ago and ran a 12.4xx @ 121mph with a 2.3xx 60 foot. My goal is mid to low 11s. When I looked at the time slip, the first thing I thought is I need new tires, bad

So I've been doing some research and have been looking at the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II tires: part # MTT-3785R on Summit Racing.

Couple questions:

Will I have clearance issues? I currently have 295/35/18 nitto invos and will be going with a 305/35/18 MT radial. My current tires are really close, but I can fit a finger between the tire and wheel well. Also I have used the Tire/Rim calculator and it says I will not have an change with inner clearance, but I have a hard time believing that lol.

Second, are these going to be any stickier than the Nitto Invos? I've heard nothing but good about Mickey Thompson radials. My Nittos aren't bad at all, but they tend to break loose sometimes even in higher gears. I'd love to be able to hook more often and more importantly, at least get into the high 11s.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your trap speed is clearly 11 seconds if you can get the traction issues down. I'm running a LQ9 with bolt-ons and am running the MT et streets (not the II's) and i don't have any traction issues. I don't have any experience with the invo's, but if you look at the tread compounds, it will tell you that you will go through the Mickey's much quicker than the Invo's. A 2.3 60 footer is horrid and the Mickey's are designed to go in a straight line so I wouldn't be afraid to make a large bet you will cut much better times with new tires. With a 305, I would bet you will be hammering the wells a bit, but each car seems to be slightly different.

Ideally, if you drive in the wet, you will wish you had the invo's still....I would look into getting 2 extra wheels and going with the et streets for the track which is a softer sidewall and an even softer compound... Just my thought though as I went through my tires pretty quickly driving them around on the streets.

good luck with what you decide
Old 03-24-2014, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the reply and detail. I'm starting to think a a set of drag radials will be my best bet for the track and maybe Nitto NTO5 for the street. So many options lol.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I run the MT ET Drag Radials and I love them. Mine are on a 15 inch wheel, and they dead hook. That is without heating them up and with a lot of air pressure in them. I've not run them at the strip yet, but am looking forward to testing out the new combo. I can only imagine what they'll do when I drop the pressure and heat them up properly. Not so sure my 10 bolt feels the same way, but I'll beat on that bitch all day long.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I run the MT ET Drag Radials and I love them. Mine are on a 15 inch wheel, and they dead hook. That is without heating them up and with a lot of air pressure in them. I've not run them at the strip yet, but am looking forward to testing out the new combo. I can only imagine what they'll do when I drop the pressure and heat them up properly. Not so sure my 10 bolt feels the same way, but I'll beat on that bitch all day long.
You're on a 10 bolt too? Well I don't feel so bad about it now lol id like to get some MTs on an S60. What is the tire life like? My nittos last me a good 9 months
Old 03-24-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

My car only gets driven during spring and summer and I don't put many miles on it, so the tires will last me quite a while. I would say the MT's will wear faster, but how much faster, I'm not sure.

And yep, 10 bolt here. Too poor for anything else at this point.

Last edited by Rise of the Phoenix; 03-24-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been through 4 sets of the MT 305/35r18 since 2007 on my Trans Am. Several passes and lots of street miles. Best of 10.89 @ 124 at 3700lbs, so they work very well but are picky and require quite a bit of suspension work. They fit my car with a little work, just the usual rolling of the quarter lips, adjustable panhard, and massaging of the front inner well. You're better off getting them from McCormack Racing.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's where I bought mine from.

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson ET Street [Need Opinions]