Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 12:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that suxs!!
Old 06-25-2004, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

I sent the tire of to Toyo for inspection. Just for EVERYONE'S info : THIS IS NOT A DRAG RADIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS A NT555, NOT A NT555R!!! I had examined my tires that day, and none looked low! All my tires were at 35-38psi.. I understand the rim ended up cutting the tire, but there is no leak in the tire! I will see what is Nitto's response...
Old 06-25-2004, 01:08 PM
13 Second Truck Club

i had that same exact tire and didnt have any problems. sorry to here about this
Old 06-28-2004, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

I'm with Todd as well. The way radial tires are constructed, they don't just "seperate" in the manner shown in that picture. It's pretty obvious that the rim cut the sidewall off after a loss of pressure. Now, whether or not a defect on Nitto's part can be blamed for the loss of pressure isn't something I can comment on.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

i understand what Caswell and todd are saying and I agree. But the thing is, there is no hole in the tire, and i had plenty of tire pressure...thats the strange thing..
Old 06-28-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down

well if it made a huge blast of air when it blew out then that would be an idication that it had air in it,or dod you just notice the rim noise
Old 07-01-2004, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

If they don't pay for the wheel, file a small claims suit in your county courthouse. No large corporation will want to spend the legal fees to travel and defend themselves over the cost of one wheel. Filed against UPS once - claim settled immediately.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Restricted User

Normally, don't you have to file in the county from which the business resides that your filing against?
Old 07-01-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

isn't this why we have insurance? no?
Old 07-01-2004, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

If you can get 10k out of bfgs.. somethings wrong... I only got 3k out of mine with like 4 track passes and mostly highway driving. RARELY any burnouts. My nittos lasted like 12k.

Peace,
Josh
Old 07-04-2004, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Normally, don't you have to file in the county from which the business resides that your filing against?
Nope, generally large corporations will have what's called a registered agent in most, if not all, states. The corporation's registered agent in the state where you reside is who the notice of suit is mailed to. You absolutely file in your county.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i have 295 g force drag radials on my 18's and while i have to say they hook awesome for what they are.. the rain handelling is like a set of hoosiers.
i was looking for the 315 nitto when it came out when these bfgs wear out.. wonder if i should reconsider?
i have owned two sets of 16inch nittos drag's with no problem and they were MUCH better in the rain.
(i understand the main post was not drag radials)

todd maybe you can correct or not but at least one of the companies (tire rack or discount tire direct) has a road hazard gaurantee where you can opt to pay $5 or something and if anything ever happens to them they will send a free replacement. this is not applicable to drag radials and can be paid at any time.. even after the blowout/damage.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Some times we can get a bad tire no matter what company we use, Ive a few BFGs that have cracked along the side wall, the set I have now has a crack in one of the tires. This doesnt mean that the tires are bad just that this one is bad. Im thinking of changing over to Nittos now but Ill wait till I have some extra cash
Old 09-04-2004, 02:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just read the post. I had the same thing happen to my Nitto, my chrome ZO6 rim was also destroyed, as with the passenger side my SLP long tubes. My tire came totally, off rolled down the freeway, just leaving the sidewalls. I called the TOYO tire claims department, they made me get the tire off the freeway and send it to them. They than denied my claim saying it was my fault, due to run flat caused by a puncture and low pressure, all which is total BS. All the Discount Tires in the area are in agreement with me. Let me know if I can help you in any way, but I feel there claims department is a big scam.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just read this post as well because of mcmillion bringing it up.

first of all, this is not directed toward you, wicked383bird....just people in general.

the best thing to do when searching for the right tire to purchase is to first of all, see if there are any class-action lawsuits or any other major lawsuits against the company **for that particular tire, or series of tire**. if so, stay away until there has been a ruling.

don't just go by some bad press that other people have posted on a message board and think that it's all-inclusive. you're obviously gonna hear WAY more negative in these posts than you will positives. sure, you will see a lot of people saying "wow, these tires are the ****!", and it's usually within a week or two of buying them, before they've really even been broken in good, or had many miles put on them. for the most part you won't see them following up 5, 10, or 15 thousand miles later to say that they are still the ****. but i guarantee you, when a tire blows, you damn sure will hear them bitching, regardless of how many miles have been put on them, or the conditions surrounding the blowout.

**** happens to ALL tire manufacturers. but consider this: for the dozens or hundreds of people that post about having problems, there's GOT to be thousands, or tens of thousands more that will be totally happy with the same exact tire.

after all, if the vast majority of the tires had problems, there would be a lawsuit against them (remember the Bridgestone fiasco?).
Old 09-05-2004, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the best thing to do when searching for the right tire to purchase is to first of all, see if there are any class-action lawsuits or any other major lawsuits against the company **for that particular tire, or series of tire**. if so, stay away until there has been a ruling.
Good idea, but these days, I'm sure that it will be nearly impossible to find a major tire manufacturer that does not have a pending lawsuit!

**** happens to ALL tire manufacturers. but consider this: for the dozens or hundreds of people that post about having problems, there's GOT to be thousands, or tens of thousands more that will be totally happy with the same exact tire.
But, think about how many people out there may be having the same problem but it was never reported! There may be people that have thought that they ran over debris in the roadway causing the failure.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:20 AM
On The Tree

Well, I have had 555R's in 245/50R16 and had no problems. Also had 2 sets of 275/40R17's. The first set was great. The second set was cracking through the shoulder blocks after a couple thousand miles. I took the tires to discount tires local store cause Todd said to try it. They called Nitto and gave me half off of new tires. I got the 315's this time. I hope these dont do anything goofy. Sorry to hear about the rim, you should get a new tire though I hope.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by phatmobile98
this isn't sounding good for nitto.....

i think im gonna have to go w/ 18" BFG's now. I rather have tires that slide a lil in the rain ---- than ones that crack for no reason.
my bfg 275/25/18 drag radials now have cracks in them so beware. they only have 1,200 miles on them.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

so what happened with getting the rim fixed? its been a few months now...
Old 09-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Teching In

This is just my $.02 but this seems to have gotten out of hand. I do not believe that anyone should go boycotting Nitto tires because of a few isolated instances. For every person that has come forward and said they have had problems with Nitto tires, I am sure there are 1000's that have not. All we ever hear about are those who have had problems with them, because like someone said before we share our pain. In comparison I don't come to the board and say "had a great time driving on my Nitto 555's last night." I guess all I am trying to say is that everyone is getting all worked up over a very small percentage of the tires that are out there. I am not saying that does not suck, and i am sure that if it happened to me i would be pretty pissed off and be trying to get reimbursed as well, but as stated before this could happen with any tire not just a Nitto. Manufacturing mistakes are going to happen regarless of how much you try to eliminate them. Yes, the better companies have less mistakes, but find me one that doesn't make any! I have run about ever tire known to mankind at some point and IMO the Nitto's that I had on my C5 were probably the best tires that i have ever owned, they lasted for ever and the traction was very good. I am more impressed with the wear on them though, as apposed to the F1 Goodyears that came on the car these were like night and day diffrence. To sum this all up I just want to make sure that no one who is considering purchasing Nitto tires just looks at a few people who have problems with them (and yes they maybe defective tires from Niitto) and does not take in to account all the other tires that are out there that run fine everyday. Sorry to hear about your rim, and I hope that Toyo comes through for you.

Quick Reply: ***nitto Nightmare***