Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

***nitto Nightmare***

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a lot guys. I wroe nitto a letter, hopefully they compensate me. About repairing the rim I dont know. I have had rims repaired through wheels america, they did an ok job, but these wheels are clear coated, so I dont think they can do this. If nitto does care for their customers, they will take care of this. i will search for a lawsuit against them, see what happens. I was traveling at about 65-70mph...It could of turned out reallly ugly, thank God it didnt...
Old 06-21-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

here comes the tire guru.

In all likelyhood, this is your first blowout...or VERY quickly deflating flat. Your sidewall didnt just seperate from the tire. What happens on a blowout (most likely road debris) is the tire goes from 32 psi to 0 in about a second or two. The rim lip or bead is now trying to touch the ground and it has all of a 1/3" of rubber keeping it from doing so. At any decent speed (ill assume 40+) its only going to take a bit over 5 seconds or so to completely eat through that rubber and thus completely cut off the sidewall. It happens quite often. It happens to all manufacturers. Its the unfortunate side effect of a blowout. To better illustrate what may have happened. Have any of you had a slow leak, or ran your tire VERY low on air? Like 5psi low. Well, when the tire is taken off for repair/inspection youll see a groove on the shoulder of the tire (inside), and a bunch of rubber dust & fragments. Thats the beginning of the wheel cutting the tire.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Both of my Nitto 315/35/17 Dr's cracked on the sidewalls and Nitto replaced them free of charge. But it took a while.

Good luck
Old 06-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SilverSSGabe
Both of my Nitto 315/35/17 Dr's cracked on the sidewalls and Nitto replaced them free of charge. But it took a while.

Good luck
this isn't sounding good for nitto.....

i think im gonna have to go w/ 18" BFG's now. I rather have tires that slide a lil in the rain ---- than ones that crack for no reason.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Ok, sorry to say but i am with Todd. I worked at a tire place for 2+yrs and it looks like as if you had a small leak and ran the tire flat. Especially with low profile tires if you run them low in air pressure, under 10lbs, they lose all stability and start to come apart. Thats what looked like happened with yours. Sorry to say it though.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:57 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you inspect the tire to see if there was another source of air loss, other than the gaping hole in the sidewall?

If Todd is right, which I suspect he is, you will probably find a hole somewhere in the tread or sidewall which would be your smoking gun.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 06-23-2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

regarding cracking.

Drag radials are not your common everyday tire. First off...most of you run these tires at a lower pressure than you would your normal every day tires. Me personally...my nittos were always around 20-22 for max street grip. That alone is putting additional pressure on the sidewall of the tire. Less air to stabalize the weight of the car. More flex in the sidewall during cornering, and even when the car is at rest. Also, the drags are a softer sidewall without reinforcement. Again, making it more prone to cracking. Ive seen what you guys are talking about. Ive seen it on other tires as well. This isnt a dry rot condition. Its more cosmetic than anything. Dont get me wrong...I understand that you are like me and have the occasional high speed romp, and are a rather spirited driver, but its not a major concern. Another contributing factor with these cracks is lack of use. Some of you dont use this as your daily driver. These tires dont like to sit still for too long. Low pressure, soft sidewalls, little use, means a lot of pressure on the sidewalls. If you treat these tires like a regular street tire...I doubt you'd see these cracks. Just .02 from the tire guru
Old 06-23-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phatmobile98
this isn't sounding good for nitto.....

i think im gonna have to go w/ 18" BFG's now. I rather have tires that slide a lil in the rain ---- than ones that crack for no reason.
Just so you know..... BFG drag radials wear out twice as fast and Nitto's..... expect maybe 10k miles....
Old 06-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Just so you know..... BFG drag radials wear out twice as fast and Nitto's..... expect maybe 10k miles....
i know - but i'd rather spend a lil extra $$$ on tires than have the possibility of spending a whole lot more in car repairs & medical bills after an accident like this.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Just don't take no for an answer from Nitto. Keep asking for the next person in charge. This will get you a lot. I've learned to never take no for an answer and I always get what I want. Upper level management and directors don't have time to deal with irrate customers and usually give in to save themselves time. If they won't replace the wheel, ask for half.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:02 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Todd@DiscountTireDirect

In all likelyhood, this is your first blowout...or VERY quickly deflating flat. Your sidewall didnt just seperate from the tire. What happens on a blowout (most likely road debris) is the tire goes from 32 psi to 0 in about a second or two. The rim lip or bead is now trying to touch the ground and it has all of a 1/3" of rubber keeping it from doing so. At any decent speed (ill assume 40+) its only going to take a bit over 5 seconds or so to completely eat through that rubber and thus completely cut off the sidewall. It happens quite often. It happens to all manufacturers. Its the unfortunate side effect of a blowout. To better illustrate what may have happened. Have any of you had a slow leak, or ran your tire VERY low on air? Like 5psi low. Well, when the tire is taken off for repair/inspection youll see a groove on the shoulder of the tire (inside), and a bunch of rubber dust & fragments. Thats the beginning of the wheel cutting the tire.
Todd any news on when the BFG Drag Radials will be in?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Launching!

regarding cracking.

Drag radials are not your common everyday tire. First off...most of you run these tires at a lower pressure than you would your normal every day tires. Me personally...my nittos were always around 20-22 for max street grip. That alone is putting additional pressure on the sidewall of the tire. Less air to stabalize the weight of the car. More flex in the sidewall during cornering, and even when the car is at rest. Also, the drags are a softer sidewall without reinforcement. Again, making it more prone to cracking. Ive seen what you guys are talking about. Ive seen it on other tires as well. This isnt a dry rot condition. Its more cosmetic than anything. Dont get me wrong...I understand that you are like me and have the occasional high speed romp, and are a rather spirited driver, but its not a major concern. Another contributing factor with these cracks is lack of use. Some of you dont use this as your daily driver. These tires dont like to sit still for too long. Low pressure, soft sidewalls, little use, means a lot of pressure on the sidewalls. If you treat these tires like a regular street tire...I doubt you'd see these cracks. Just .02 from the tire guru

Not saying your wrong or anything but if the sidewall of a tire is softer how would it be more apt to crack as opposed to flex or give.For example glass and diamonds are very hard matireals and will crack very easy and if put under any real movement would crack.I know tires and glass are not the same but the basic physics is,or at least I would think it would be.I could see were the nitto might have flexed to much over a period of time and possibly tore causing the blow out.just a thought I could be wrong.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

I've heard this about Nitto's a few times. I can't wait until the Mickey Thompson's come out. I had one Nitto 245/50/16 555R seperate the tread from the tire on my V6 Firebird. The tire only had 250 miles on it!!!!! And they were filled to 32 pounds from the tire shop that put them on! I'll have to check my parents garage to see if it is still there, it was unbelieveable. I had black marks all over my passenger rear quarter panel where the seperating rubber was slinging around and hitting. Unfortunately Nitto, nor the Vendor would reimburse me for any damages or a new tire since it was a "Racing" tire. Needless to say I was pissed that I was out $150. I had another pair start cracking on the sidewalls. The cracks went down to the cords, so that was another pair tossed in the trash.

Nitto is owned by Toyo Tires, which is a major name brand manufacturer. I'm going to look into the Toyo name brand versions if the Mickey's don't come out soon enough.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Some other people have had the same problem

Look at this link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/140871-nittos-cracking.html
Old 06-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Launching!

There is nothing specific to Nitto that causes this type of thing. It happens with all tires. I had the exact same thing happen to a 315 Yokohama AVS Sport. The blowout happend exaclty 6 miles from the shop where it was mounted. After getting the tire back to the shop, I found a staple in it, leading me to believe that I simply drove the last mile or two (of the 6) with no air.

after being in the tire biz for a while, I saw tons of this type of issue. It's just the luck of the draw. Sure, every once in a while, a tire does find it's way to market with actual defects. But most "defects" cause a separation condition, in which the tread area begings to separate from the carcas of the tire.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:49 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Aint a damn thing wrong with Nitto brand tires. I've been running them for almost 7 yrs on all 5 cars i've owned with zero problems..

It's funny to see some people take everything they read on the net to heart
Old 06-24-2004, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Search here and on some of the other auto related boards, this seems to be happening more often then we would like to think . . . . I have seen it myself. Although I am on my 6-7th set of Nittos, I have not had a problem with them except for traction.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well I am worried. I have a set of 18's showing up from DTD tomorrow and guess what's mounted on them? 275/35/18 nitto 555's. Should I be worried. I have had nittos before with no problems, but this is scary.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Exactly my thought Being a rear tire even if it took 5 minuits to deflate you could miss it, If it were a front tire it would be more noticable.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Another tire guy here, that's my job. This happens to ALL brands of tires. I see about 2 of these a week. It's not a defect, it just happens. I'm sorry to see those bad *** wheels get messed up but i don't think nitto will give you a dime, for the rim at least. Hopefully they get you a new tire for free. Tires blow out all the time, i just think it's becuase people think they have a nitto drag radial that that is why their tire blew so they are entitled to get there money back. I've seen a tire blow, shred and become a 4 foot long spinning whip of death trashing the entire right side of a car before, so it could always be alot worse. My jaw dropped when i saw that car outside my tire shop by the way. Oh yah, and the only reason we are reading about this happening to other cars and on other boards is that we love our cars so much we have to share our pain when something shitty happens.

Quick Reply: ***nitto Nightmare***