Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

315s on OEWheels 17x11s Didn't Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

What is the OFFSET you bought on those wheels? B/C I have a TA and had almost the exact same wheels (17x11). I got the 36mm offset ones, but they had the spokes more flush with the face of the rim. They did stick out of the fender a bit, and I rolled the rear fender. But when the body rolled over they did not actually touch the rim. I had no issue with the bumpstop. So that's why I ask, if you got the 50mm offset then the barrel of the rim could be "too far" to the inside of the body.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
What is the OFFSET you bought on those wheels? B/C I have a TA and had almost the exact same wheels (17x11). I got the 36mm offset ones, but they had the spokes more flush with the face of the rim. They did stick out of the fender a bit, and I rolled the rear fender. But when the body rolled over they did not actually touch the rim. I had no issue with the bumpstop. So that's why I ask, if you got the 50mm offset then the barrel of the rim could be "too far" to the inside of the body.
He did get the 50 offset OE wheels makes them

You probably have the genuine OEM ZR1 wheels from GM
Old 06-30-2017, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dojob
bad idea... when you 45 the car entering/leaving somewhere, the tire that lowers will catch the bump stop... wheel/tires damage is bound to happen
Forgot to mention, I have a watts link, the rear doesn't shift side-to-side at all.
So on steep inclines the bumpstop is either inside the wheel or the wheel has arched enough down that it doesn't touch. The only time it would touch is if the axle is strait and hanging at full droop, and even at that is barely touches.
So ive never had an issue thankfully.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk
The counter guy said to bring it back after 100 miles to have the lugs checked and re-torqued, problem is they probably wont remember they failed to get them on correctly.
I would have driven over there right after you mounted them and find the guy who said you couldn't do it, and then said something like "hey can you check the torque on these lug nuts?" And then when he walks out there be like "oh by the way these are the wheels you said wouldn't fit, I mounted them at home myself."
Old 07-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I would have driven over there right after you mounted them and find the guy who said you couldn't do it, and then said something like "hey can you check the torque on these lug nuts?" And then when he walks out there be like "oh by the way these are the wheels you said wouldn't fit, I mounted them at home myself."
But mama taught me not to make fun of the handicapped.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

You still have to worry about the bump stops. You can easily unload the chassis and be at full hang over a rise or in a hard corner. It could get ugly. I moved my bump stops.

Name:  IMG_3677_zps6joihdg0.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  152.0 KB
Old 07-02-2017, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Well hopefully I don't get that extreme with it, I think autocross would be fun but I've never tried it. I assume that's what's going on in the pic.

What all needs to happen to move a bump stop?

Sounds like major surgery.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CO BlackHawk, I am surprised you don't rub on the inside. An 8" backspacing is a lot. I rub at 7 9/16" backspacing. I just ordered an additional 1/4" of backspacing. Mine rub so bad at near full compression I am smokin up the joint.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Launching!

I'm surprised too. I drove it Saturday up to the Golden Super Cruise, which is roughly 80 mile round trip, and cruised numerous laps around the town, and had no issues.

Maybe someone else can explain it, but it seems ok to me.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

If you aren't loading up the car in roll and/or you are stiff enough it won't rub. That's why you get all these people swearing some crappy street tire will fit with a 50mm offset without rubbing and I've rubbed hard at 40mm. Next set is going to be built to a 32 equivalent along with a shorter sidewall tire. We will see what happens.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:36 AM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk
Correction Wheels fit, issue was tire shop installation.

Major Disappointment.

Ok so I bought these for the deep dish look...

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Corvette-...eel-Polished_2

Ordered a pair of these, in 315/35r17...

http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-t...formance-tire/

and with what I read on here should fit in the rear with the BFH mod, only needing slight hammering.

Well after installation and putting the car back on all fours, the rear end was sitting up in the air at least 4 inches. Seems this set up is way to wide and solidly hits not the inner fender, but the bump stop mount.

So what options do I have at this point:

1. Eat the cost of the wheels and tires sell them for what I can get locally, order the 17x9.5s and be done with it, and lose the deep dish look.

2. Buy some wheel spacers. But how safe are these spacers for someone who likes to hug the turns? How big can you go on these spacers before the outer wheel well becomes an issue?

3. Will the BFH mod still work on the bump stop mount?

4. Any other ideas would be welcome at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You scared me for a moment there. Some installers don't know what they are doing and are trying to get you in and out as quick as possible instead of trying to figure out the problem. Glad you found someone to figure it out!
Give us a call for fast service!
(866) 273 - 3651

Check out our wheels!
Old 07-11-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
You still have to worry about the bump stops. You can easily unload the chassis and be at full hang over a rise or in a hard corner. It could get ugly. I moved my bump stops.

Your car would be so much faster with the right spring rates.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OEWheelsScott
You scared me for a moment there. Some installers don't know what they are doing and are trying to get you in and out as quick as possible instead of trying to figure out the problem. Glad you found someone to figure it out!
Yea sorry about that. Edited the beginning of the OP, in an attempt to not dissuade any future customers.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Your car would be so much faster with the right spring rates.
Yeah Sam does not know what he is doing. lol. Not sure I had the 36mm on the front in this pic. Sam's spec on Koni SAs with the Ground control Coilover kit.

It was a fast sweeper off camber. So it may looks like it is rolling over more than it should. I had the FTD that day against the 2006 Canadian Champion in a 4th Gen as well. My motor did not PAX well though. Went 10s in the 1/4, but not a real asset in an autocross.

As is though it has lapped within .1 secs of a well driven ZR1 on NA fastest track, and was .01 faster than an Ariel Atom on Hoosier R6s and we were on 180 TW 295s. Same day.

Could it be better, I think so. I have talked to Sam about his new shocks and going up to 700s on the front from the current 550s, but these do
work well.

They do pretty well though.

Last edited by RAMPANT; 07-11-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Great vids, looks like a lot of fun.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to see you got it sorted. Nice looking 'Hawk. My 01 took a lot more "massaging" to get it to where it doesn't rub at stock height. My old 94 I literally cut the bumpstops off flush to the wheel well and never had any problems. Every car is different even with the same exact set of wheels.

Quick Reply: 315s on OEWheels 17x11s Didn't Fit