Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Soften your tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Soften your tires

I went to buy some tires today so i could hook a little better at the track tonight. They were out of stock and the guy asked when i needed them and i told him tonight because my tires are really hard and dont get any traction. so he says i can tell u how u can soften them up really good and get good traction. He told me to put kerosene mixed with dish washing liquid on the tire and it would make them really soft and i would hook up really good. He also said alcohol would make them soft. Is this true? My tires are really bad hard and i cant get any traction. im going to buy new tires but is there anything like this that can be done that actually works?
Old 07-03-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have never tried this..........................but I would not do it. Have you ever worn rubber gloves while using mineral spirts or even gasoline ? the gloves will dissolve in a matter of minutes, I would picture kerosene to do something similar to your tires, and even if it didnt I would imagine, soaking your tires in an oil like kerosene would not be the best idea for increased traction maybe for a burn out contest.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

i was doubting this also but im still new to racing so i wasnt sure.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not use Kerosene. I have been racing a long time and nevr heard that one. I bet he invented that by seeing folks put VHT down from a dish soap bottle.

I have used Formula V. It works, but only on tires that are very hard and only once. It is to get the last race out of a set of tires. I would not do it to your street tires.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:21 PM

Ditch your current recipe for disaster! Here are some better tire doping formulas that are more consistent.

Formula V (the stuff that Chuck just got through talking about). It's advertised in Grassroots Motorsports Magazine.
http://www.formulavtraction.com/

HMS Industries (tire conditioners & equipment)
http://www.hmstires.com/

Track Claw- Brothers Research
http://www.trackclaw.com/

Lubrication Dynamics
http://www.lubricationdynamics.com/

Here's a really good online retailer that carries alot of the aforementioned tire treatments: They're Pitstop USA
http://www.pitstopusa.com/searchresu...ategoryID=1557

They're like premade cake mixes. Each has their own formula and approach.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks, i think ill try the formula v, it says it softens them and makes them sticky ever time u race. Will work untill i get my tires
Old 07-03-2004, 06:16 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

does that stuff really work? does it help street tires? i would use this stuff for sure if it actualy helps but have never heard of it before today.

i see alot of mentioning of "unsniffable", is this stuff not leagal for some forms of racing?
Old 07-03-2004, 06:48 PM
9 Second Club

you can soak ur tires in VHT overnight and it'll make em soft
Old 07-03-2004, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by parish8
does that stuff really work? does it help street tires? i would use this stuff for sure if it actualy helps but have never heard of it before today.

i see alot of mentioning of "unsniffable", is this stuff not leagal for some forms of racing?
Yes, some sanctioning bodies will not allow the use of traction enhancing products. They'll kick your *** off the track and will disqualify you.That's especially true in circle track racing, NASCAR and I'd imagine other forms as well. That does not stop them though. Once you get on the tech inspectors' radar, they ride maximum ***. It happened to Jeff Gordon (Tire Gate), and there were allegations by rival teams that he was using traction enhancements on his car.
I am not a drag racer, but have a strong preference towards road racing and such along that line. It reconditions old tires that have lost their oils and have become hard and glazed. Or if you have a set of brand new tires that have been sitting around for a while and have not been used they can become stale. These chemicals return the tires to their like new state. There's a point of no return though. I'd imagine that you could use these conditioners on street tires. I mean why not. Just make sure you get the stuff that doesn't wash off.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

My dad always used Xylene to soften up his speced circle track tires. It worked great and the car won a couple of chapionships that way. We also used to score the slicks horizotally but they caught on to that after a couple of weeks. Xylene is only about $8 a gallon at Home Depot but I don't know if it has any adverse affects on a street tire.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks, my tires are extremely hard and i was hoping that there was something i could do. I would buy drags now but i would really like to hold out till i get my c5 rims so i dont have to sell the 16s. i try this stuff on my tires and let u guys know. i dont have anything to lose im getting new ones in about a month anyway.

Quick Reply: Soften your tires