Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Plasti Dip removal over chrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Plasti Dip removal over chrome

So I've been trying to remove it from some topline c5 z06 wheels. Chrome looks pretty bad but I thought I'd just polish them up once I was done with the removal. But some people are telling me I can't polish chrome....am I missing something? I don't know what they mean. Aluminum yes, chrome no
Old 04-04-2018, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Chrome is a metal coating usually over aluminum on wheels, it can be polished just like any other metal. The problem with chrome is it's a thin plating so if it's chipped or damaged it can't be fixed. Aluminum is not a plating so it can be repaired and polished over and over.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok i see, so the easiest way to go about my situation is just remove this damm dip and have them polished? I was thinking I would have to get them stripped and re chromed.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

That depends on the condition of the chrome. If it's chipped/pitted of has deep scratches then you won't be able to do much about it. You can polish them yourself.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh that's fine, I just needed to know where I stood with the wheels. I might end up painting them black once I paint the car but that's another issue. Right now I'm having too much of a hard time getting the dip off. Neon Green!
Old 04-08-2018, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goo Gone I think works.
If you said the chrome is bad and plan on keeping the wheels, sand blasting the chrome off followed by paint color of your choice would be the best route to go.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually talked to a powder coating shop that also do blasting, and they said blasting the chrome wouldn’t work. It would need to be stripped with chemicals. Besides the fact they would charge about $200/wheel to do something like that.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the dip was applied too thin and it isn't peeling cleanly, you can spray it with WD-40 and let it sit for 5 minutes then just spray it off with a pressure washer. Maybe even a normal hose with a jet setting.

It will dissolve into a slime and come right off with just water, no scrubbing or peeling needed.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
If the dip was applied too thin and it isn't peeling cleanly, you can spray it with WD-40 and let it sit for 5 minutes then just spray it off with a pressure washer. Maybe even a normal hose with a jet setting.

It will dissolve into a slime and come right off with just water, no scrubbing or peeling needed.
Along with some of your peeling chrome. Which is probably why the wheels were dipped in the first place.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Along with some of your peeling chrome. Which is probably why the wheels were dipped in the first place.
If he is just looking to get the neon green off and plans to paint em anyway like he said, its still the easiest way. If the chrome is peeling or pitted, there is nothing he can do to save it anyway.

I would just remove all the dip, give em a scuff sanding, and hit em with a self etching filler primer, then a heavy applying ceramic black spray like rustoleum. They will look great until you get right on em, even if you don't have much experience since the filler primer and rustoleum ceramic both apply thick and fill a decent amount of imperfections.

That's how I did an ugly pair of craigslist wheels I used for a swappable drag setup before I went to just running 24/7 RTS's. Even with barely any prep and no sanding after the primer layers (they were only for the track and I didn't care how they looked) they came out surprisingly well.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've tried wd40, break cleaner, even thinner. Nothing seems to be working.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Goo gone