Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

I bought a set of oewheels for my 02 Camaro and they don't fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought a set of oewheels for my 02 Camaro and they don't fit

It was my first time buying wheels and now the front rims hit the control arms.

I bought the car from a guy who had 18 inch american racing rebels and they are peeling or cracked so I lose air every day. I bought these wheels trying to be the same size as the rims I have now. So I bought oewheels model CV04 18x10.5 so I could have a z06 replica wheels.

I realize now that the offset is wrong. Is there anything I can do? They don't make these rims in 10. Only 10.5

Thank you
Old 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

If you need to correct the offset by pushing the wheel farther out (which it sounds like you do), then you can use a wheel spacer/adapter (good ones are produced that bolt to the existing hub and then have their own studs to mount the wheel). If you use a more generic type spacer that doesn't bolt to the hub, then you will certainly want to get longer studs (a good brand, like ARP), otherwise there is a safety concern.

However, depending on your tire height, you might encounter tire contact issues with the lip of the bumper cover if you push the wheel too far out.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If you need to correct the offset by pushing the wheel farther out (which it sounds like you do), then you can use a wheel spacer/adapter (good ones are produced that bolt to the existing hub and then have their own studs to mount the wheel). If you use a more generic type spacer that doesn't bolt to the hub, then you will certainly want to get longer studs (a good brand, like ARP), otherwise there is a safety concern.

However, depending on your tire height, you might encounter tire contact issues with the lip of the bumper cover if you push the wheel too far out.
Thanks for the advice. Id rather not use a wheel spacer as someone said my tire could fly off and i dont really want that. My tires are 285-35-18
Old 03-20-2024, 04:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

If you have enough space (or, more accurately, enough need for decreased offset) then a wheel adapter is an option. There is no danger with these; they serve the same purpose as a spacer but they bolt to the existing hub using the existing studs, and then they have their own set of studs to which you bolt the wheel. It's as safe as any wheel attachment can possibly be (assuming you properly torque all lug nuts - 5 for the adapter and 5 for the wheel). But, these adapters necessitate pushing the wheel farther out than a thin, generic spacer, so you'd have to have enough need for this much additional spacing.

That is your only option, assuming you want to keep these wheels. There is no other choice, other than different wheels.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If you have enough space (or, more accurately, enough need for decreased offset) then a wheel adapter is an option. There is no danger with these; they serve the same purpose as a spacer but they bolt to the existing hub using the existing studs, and then they have their own set of studs to which you bolt the wheel. It's as safe as any wheel attachment can possibly be (assuming you properly torque all lug nuts - 5 for the adapter and 5 for the wheel). But, these adapters necessitate pushing the wheel farther out than a thin, generic spacer, so you'd have to have enough need for this much additional spacing.

That is your only option, assuming you want to keep these wheels. There is no other choice, other than different wheels.
okay, so adapter or spacer is my only choice besides new wheels. I'll do more research on those pieces. I'm so lost. Looks like I wasted over $1000 on wheels.

Anyway, thanks for your help!
Old 03-21-2024, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LOTAB
It was my first time buying wheels and now the front rims hit the control arms.

I bought the car from a guy who had 18 inch american racing rebels and they are peeling or cracked so I lose air every day. I bought these wheels trying to be the same size as the rims I have now. So I bought oewheels model CV04 18x10.5 so I could have a z06 replica wheels.

I realize now that the offset is wrong. Is there anything I can do? They don't make these rims in 10. Only 10.5

Thank you

Eibach 90.6.15.033.1 Pro-Spacer Wheel Spacer Kit is what I have but im also running 4 piston bremboz but Eibach are in my opinion the best spacers and quality is on point they aren't cheap but they are well worth it

Old 03-21-2024, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

use a wheel spacer , i have bolt on wheel spacer that are 1.25 inches thick on the rear to use with my widened stock ws6 wheel.. You bolt them on and tq them and then bolt your wheels to the adaptor/spacer. if you are concerned try it out first and then go but arp studs for the car and the adapt or .
Old 03-24-2024, 02:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Guitarshredder

Eibach 90.6.15.033.1 Pro-Spacer Wheel Spacer Kit is what I have but im also running 4 piston bremboz but Eibach are in my opinion the best spacers and quality is on point they aren't cheap but they are well worth it

These have studs on them, so they are an adapter instead of a spacer, right? I will look into this.

Thank you.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
use a wheel spacer , i have bolt on wheel spacer that are 1.25 inches thick on the rear to use with my widened stock ws6 wheel.. You bolt them on and tq them and then bolt your wheels to the adaptor/spacer. if you are concerned try it out first and then go but arp studs for the car and the adapt or .
Thank you. I am doing more research on how much space I need. i dont want to get the wrong size. I will check out ARP studs.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:29 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

What exactly isn’t fitting on the wheels? I had oe wheels 18x10.5 on all four corners of my Camaro no problem.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by scj
What exactly isn’t fitting on the wheels? I had oe wheels 18x10.5 on all four corners of my Camaro no problem.
First post explains it all:

Originally Posted by LOTAB
...now the front rims hit the control arms.

I realize now that the offset is wrong.

Quick Reply: I bought a set of oewheels for my 02 Camaro and they don't fit