Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Anyone had both Firestone SZ50 EPs and Goodyear F1 GS-D3s?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Anyone had both Firestone SZ50 EPs and Goodyear F1 GS-D3s?

I've been running the Firestone Firehawk SZ50s, and then the SZ50 EPs since about 1998. With all the good reviews, and since the Hawk is almost a 10 year old design, I'm considering a switch to the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3.

What I like about my hawks - rim protector, great in the rain, quiet, comfortable ride, okay treadwear. And they stick pretty good in the corners too.

It appears that the Goodyear will be better at everything. Can anyone who's driven on both confirm or deny this?

Also - I can't tell from the pictures, but does the Goodyear have the rim protector bead?
Old 07-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Default Bfg

I know this is not the Goodyear of the Firestone, but the BFG KDW has the rim protector on them. I am running this tire and love them. Great in the rain and stick good also. I have about 7500 miles on them and the tread wear is very good...a lot better than the stock F1's.

Jake
Old 07-28-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry, haven't had both, but I can highly recommend the GS-D3's over GSC's, F1's, and Nittos.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Havent had both either but just put a set of GS-D3's on and LOVE THEM

LOOK-> http://community.webshots.com/album/166903063WKmyvx
Old 07-28-2004, 09:46 PM

You cant get the SZ50s anymore. The plant burnt down, I believe.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tirerack says SZ50 EPs are still available.

It's good to hear that y'all like the GS-D3s. What do you like about them?

I'm primarily concerned with 1)resistance to hydroplaning 2)quiet and 3)smooth riding
Sticky in the corners is just a bonus.

I've never driven an F-body with anything but Goodyear RS-As, Firestone SZ50s, SZ50 EPs, and Bridgestone Potenza RE730s (NOISY - but they revised them and renamed them the RE750).
Old 07-29-2004, 08:14 AM

Hummm.. I cant seem to pull them up. I check under stock sizes and Firestone and get 0 results... Click Here
Old 07-29-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

I like the GS-D3's as an all around tire. In the dry, they hook very similar to my Nitto DR's. In the wet, they give good stability and take deep puddles better than anything I've ever driven. Cornering and ride quality are improved over my GSC's.

I'll certainly purchase them again, and I have never repurchased a set of tires.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Hummm.. I cant seem to pull them up. I check under stock sizes and Firestone and get 0 results... Click Here
Ahh, your'e looking for the SS size. I'm looking for the 245/50/16 Z28 size. That may be the difference. They say my size will be in on the 31st.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...g=ZR&x=18&y=10
Old 07-29-2004, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Here in Orlando we had a heck of a rain storm and the GS-D3 handles awsome. I went through a few large puddle and felt perfect, I love the tread design on these also. They stick really well!!! I tried to spin them and its hard, especially when they are new You will like these tires 100%
Old 07-29-2004, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
Ahh, your'e looking for the SS size. I'm looking for the 245/50/16 Z28 size. That may be the difference. They say my size will be in on the 31st.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...g=ZR&x=18&y=10
Ahhhhh, gotcha! Thanks for the correction
Old 08-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Default SZ50 vs GS-D3

I have switched to Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 275/40 17"
They replaced 3 year old Firestone Firehawk SZ50's of the same size. The SZ50's rubber was getting pretty hard and would only stick well when really warmed up (i.e. 5 minutes of lapping...). Anyway, after driving on these Eagles, my impression is that the sidewall is a lot softer. I realize the squirm from full tread depth is part of this sensation and contributes to the slower turn in response but they feel noticeably "mushier" (and the sidewall seems to bulge out more compared to same tire pressure on the Hawks). I started out at 35 psi up front and upped it to 38 without much improvement. I noticed that these tires have the highest max tire pressure (51psi) I have ever seen for a passenger car tire). I now have even more appreciation for the SZ50's (granted it is kind of hard to compare tires when the one set is 3 years old (like being "shaved" and the other is new and you are not used to them). The D3's grip is better (like that was a surprise) but I was expecting more and am hoping they will slowly get better with a little more mileage. If I do a another lapping day I think I will do it with the old hawks as I think they will perform better (and for the Kings ransom I just paid for these Eagles, I am in no hurry to chew them up!) I will say this though, they do look awesome. Rain performance is better and ride is better as well also. If you don't do lapping days I think you will like the D3's better overall (but I do miss my SZ50's, they performed well when pushed hard).
Old 08-02-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, a softer feel is what I'd prefer - while the car rides well now, I'd like a little bit more smoothess and give from the tires - more of a grand touring kind of feel than a razor sharp caffinated go kart kind of feel.

Looks like new GS-D3s are the way to go to replace my 2 year old Firehawks.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took my GS-D3's out for a test drive and they are awesome, practically no road noise, and they grip like a mother fu**er, at least compared to my old tires.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

D3's all the way! Very quiet ride compared to the stock F1s. Handle standing water awesome with no concerns driving on wet roads. Hook unbelieveably well for a street radial. I can't break them loose in 1st gear stomping on the gas at 20 mph or in any other gear.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive got the gs-d3's in 315's and i friggin love them, they are all around awesome and it is VERY hard to break them loose
Old 08-11-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ordered 4 245/50/16 Eagle F1 GS-D3s this morning from the tire rack.

Should be in friday, and I'll bring them to the Discount Tire around the corner to mount them on Saturday morning. I'm gonna try to bribe the dude with a case of his favorite beer to get him to actually use all the functions of the Hunter GSP9700 load force balancer, match the tire to the approprate spot on the wheel and balance them to absolute zero rather than just "within specs".

My front firestones have some strange wear patterns (first the outside edge was worn, then I got a new alignmetn with some - camber that started to work on the inside edge - the tires didn't seem to like this corrective action), so hopefully the new Goodyears will reduce the tramlining I've been getting lately.

I haven't had goodyears since the RS-As that came stock on this camaro and my 95. They sure did suck and were dangeous in the rain, they're the only tires I've actually hydroplaned on. So it took a lot for me to go back to goodyear, hopefully these GS-D3s will be as good as everyone says!
Old 08-11-2004, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=TTopJohn]Ordered 4 245/50/16 Eagle F1 GS-D3s this morning from the tire rack.

Should be in friday, and I'll bring them to the Discount Tire around the corner to mount them on Saturday morning. I'm gonna try to bribe the dude with a case of his favorite beer to get him to actually use all the functions of the Hunter GSP9700 load force balancer, match the tire to the approprate spot on the wheel and balance them to absolute zero rather than just "within specs".

The 9700 has to be the best invention for tires since the "spin" balancer.As good as the 9700 is,it will never get to zero,come close though on a couple(3lbs-5lbs),for most part,get down to around 10-12 lbs of "road force" and you will not feel any vibration whatsoever.Mine came in around 6-8 on three of them,last one came in at 18lbs ,but put that one on the back and don't feel a thing
Old 08-11-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=SSZSLP]
Ordered 4 245/50/16 Eagle F1 GS-D3s this morning from the tire rack.

The 9700 has to be the best invention for tires since the "spin" balancer.As good as the 9700 is,it will never get to zero,come close though on a couple(3lbs-5lbs),for most part,get down to around 10-12 lbs of "road force" and you will not feel any vibration whatsoever.Mine came in around 6-8 on three of them,last one came in at 18lbs ,but put that one on the back and don't feel a thing
Hmm, so it just physically can't be done? Or it can be done but it's a pain in the ***?
Old 08-12-2004, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Hmm, so it just physically can't be done? Or it can be done but it's a pain in the ***?
If you dismount and rotate them enough you will get close,but man that gets a little aggrevating,especially when you spin and they come in at say 12,you dismount,remount then they come in 15 ,then put back in same position the 12 was in,and now there at 10 .Also varying the pressure between the lowest recommended pressure to the highest will help with seating the beads to achieve better road force pressure.Lastly after you mount and drive on them for say 5-10k,and take them back,they usually can be "turned" and achieve even better road force balancing .Since this machine has come to my area and I tried it on a set of KDW's,and ended up getting 36k out of them with racing and everything,and they just did touch the tread indicaters,it will always be done to any of ny tires that get done