Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel spacers

I'm sure this question has been asked before so forgive me if I'm asking it again?

The vehicle:
02 Firebird T/A WS6

I'm looking to put some wheel spacers on my ride. Mostly I'm concerned with the rear axle? However I might put a set up front too if it's fiesable?

Now I want to continue to use my stock wheels (Don't bother asking why) they are the 275/40ZR17 on all four corners. So i'm not looking to change the bolt pattern just move the wheels out a bit for a more stylish appearance. Nothing Ricey just wanting to give the car a little more aggressive look utilizing the factory stock rims.

So, How big of a spacer do I need? Both in "Inches" and "MM"?
What is the bolt pattern demissions for the car?
Is it possible to put spacers on all four corners and not run into rubbing issues?

Is there a company someone can suggest who makes what I'm looking for?

Last edited by *JC*; 11-30-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ummm, i deffinitely dont think you could, or would even want to use any space that was "inches" wide... would probably look like ***, and im sure it wouldnt be too strong
Old 11-30-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

16 mm or 5/8" is the max width spacer to run. These would need to be custom made, and you would need to buy longer wheel studs. You need the spacers to be made what is called hub and wheel centric. The bolt pattern is 5 x 4.75" or 5 x 120.65 mm
Old 11-30-2004, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
16 mm or 5/8" is the max width spacer to run. These would need to be custom made, and you would need to buy longer wheel studs. You need the spacers to be made what is called hub and wheel centric. The bolt pattern is 5 x 4.75" or 5 x 120.65 mm
Well, I found a company that makes 25mm spacers (1 inch = 25.4mm). So, for all intent and purposes you might as well call them an inch thick. This company makes them for 93+ FBodies... They are hub cemetric but they simple are not just spacers the come with their own studs already in them. You just bolt them up to your exsiting hub then bolt your whell directly to the spacers.

We are not talking about spacers that will make the car look what your thinking. That would take a three inch spacer. I'm just talking about moving the wheel out a little further than factory. The same effect of having bought an offset set of wheels and putting them on the car.

The question is will they work without rubbing?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

I would think with one extra inch you would be just fine. Guys run 10" wide wheels on the front all of the time. I would bet they stick out atleast one inch further than your stock wheel....
Old 11-30-2004, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tim 98z
I would think with one extra inch you would be just fine. Guys run 10" wide wheels on the front all of the time. I would bet they stick out atleast one inch further than your stock wheel....
Thanks

I'd post a link to what I'm talking about but I don't beleive they are a sponsor of LS1TECH.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

I have seen them before. I think some people are just mistaken them for a 1" thick piece of metal and surely you can see why they think it's a bad idea. I dont know much about how strong they are but I have never heard of people having much trouble out of them. So it might be worth a try. I personally would not spend that much time and effort on a stock wheels. But hey we are all different! Hope it all works out.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

I have seen them before. I think some people are just mistaken them for a 1" thick piece of metal and surely you can see why they think it's a bad idea. I dont know much about how strong they are but I have never heard of people having much trouble out of them. So it might be worth a try. I personally would not spend that much time and effort on a stock wheels. But hey we are all different! Hope it all works out.
Actually I love the factory wheels much better than any aftermarket wheel I've seen put on a F-body. But your correct we are all different and so are our likes and dislikes, to each there own I say.

I think I've figured out a way to ask this question and get a resonable answer. I'm sure some one has done this they just aren't thinking along the same lines. But anyone who has bought aftermarket wheels that is 17 x 9.5 (Or are the factory rims 17 x 9) and uses the same tire size as the factory wheels 275/40ZR17. Where the aftermarket wheels have an offset of at least an inch outwardly compared the the factory wheels. (Then it would be the same as adding a spacer to the factory rims.) If they did this with aftermarket wheels and had no issues of rubbing? Then the spacers should be fiesable?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think this is what you are talking about...and it is called an adapter...different from a spacer but performs the same basic thing...
Attached Thumbnails Wheel spacers-6-2015-2004-20004.jpg  
Old 12-01-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by *JC*
Actually I love the factory wheels much better than any aftermarket wheel I've seen put on a F-body. But your correct we are all different and so are our likes and dislikes, to each there own I say.

I think I've figured out a way to ask this question and get a resonable answer. I'm sure some one has done this they just aren't thinking along the same lines. But anyone who has bought aftermarket wheels that is 17 x 9.5 (Or are the factory rims 17 x 9) and uses the same tire size as the factory wheels 275/40ZR17. Where the aftermarket wheels have an offset of at least an inch outwardly compared the the factory wheels. (Then it would be the same as adding a spacer to the factory rims.) If they did this with aftermarket wheels and had no issues of rubbing? Then the spacers should be fiesable?

the thing about spacers is that they add extra stress and uneven weight distribution to the studs...which could cause them just to break
i have "adapters" on the rear of my ws6 bc i had the wheels widened to 11", these are very safe and just as strong if not stronger than stock, but that's because it has its own studs, and works the same way your hub normally would
Old 12-01-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 777
i think this is what you are talking about...and it is called an adapter...different from a spacer but performs the same basic thing...

lol yea..thats exactly what I'm talking about, in fact thats my car
Old 12-01-2004, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Yea you got the idea.

I'm calling it a spacer for that's what it will actually be doing. The bolt pattern doesn't change. It is however more like an adapter it does bolt to the exsiting studs and has it's own studs too.

However the question remains will they work? Without tire rubbing issues?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

i'm trying to figure out what you are thinking the tire will rub against...and yea ^ that is your car..thanks for the pic by the way it helped a lot...and i guess now i get to use it for other stuff
Old 12-01-2004, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Yes, if you push the factory rims outward an inch (A poor mans version of Pontiac's wide track concept) will the tires rub. On the back axle the tires can virtually only rub against the quarter panel lip at the wheel well as the tire travels up and down due to bumps and what not. But I believe the back axle has stops to keep this from happening should the car encounter a really bad pot hole... So really the question comes down to the front axle? Will it rub as it travels up and down having the tires pushed outward an inch? Will cause the front tires to rub the wheel well not allowing the steering to make its full travel?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

i highly doubt it...there is someone on here that runs 295's up front with no modifications and a spacer/adapter...i think you would be fine....just get an adapter that doesn't push the wheel all the way to the edge...(where it would be possible for the tire to hit the underside of the wheel well)
Old 12-01-2004, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 777
i highly doubt it...there is someone on here that runs 295's up front with no modifications and a spacer/adapter...i think you would be fine....just get an adapter that doesn't push the wheel all the way to the edge...(where it would be possible for the tire to hit the underside of the wheel well)
Sending you a PM tell me what you think?
Old 12-01-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by *JC*
Yes, if you push the factory rims outward an inch (A poor mans version of Pontiac's wide track concept) will the tires rub. On the back axle the tires can virtually only rub against the quarter panel lip at the wheel well as the tire travels up and down due to bumps and what not. But I believe the back axle has stops to keep this from happening should the car encounter a really bad pot hole... So really the question comes down to the front axle? Will it rub as it travels up and down having the tires pushed outward an inch? Will cause the front tires to rub the wheel well not allowing the steering to make its full travel?
well, like i said ive got them on the back of my car and it doesnt rub...even with 11'' wheels and pretty massive tires...
Old 12-01-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

I hear over and over the a "spacer" puts all the stress on the lugs; therfore, do not run them it is unsafe.
Well my argument is MOST aftermarket wheels have a larger hub than your factory F-body. Take a Weld racing wheel for example. Look at it when you put it on. The hub is not touching the hub on your car, it is to large. So actually the spacer is not what is causing the pressure to be all on the lugs any more then you just running that wheel.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02blackws679ta
well, like i said ive got them on the back of my car and it doesnt rub...even with 11'' wheels and pretty massive tires...
Are they an 1 inch thick?
Does your rear tires stick out past the quarter fender?

Do you think the adaptors could be used on the front axle too?
Old 12-01-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear over and over the a "spacer" puts all the stress on the lugs; therfore, do not run them it is unsafe.
Well my argument is MOST aftermarket wheels have a larger hub than your factory F-body. Take a Weld racing wheel for example. Look at it when you put it on. The hub is not touching the hub on your car, it is to large. So actually the spacer is not what is causing the pressure to be all on the lugs any more then you just running that wheel.
thats a drag wheel...puttin a spacer on with a stock rim, moving the weight farther out on the studs, will most deffinitely put undue stress on it and will eventually fail...