Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

pics of cragars wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones SS
Thanks, that helps clear things up. But now, I have a few questions about the Bullets, if you don't mind? The Cragars seem to be pretty deep with a nice fat lip. I know the lip on the Bullets have a step but are they deep like the Cragars? I'm also wondering what type of center cap the Bullets have? And last, do you know how much the 17x9's weigh? Sorry for all the questions, it's just so hard to see in the pics and I can't find spec's on any of the wheels.
neither are really a deep lip. the cragars look deeper cause of the flat lip. the oe bullet wheels will come with a covette like logo instead of the cobra logo for a cap. But i was told from 02phasezl1 that you can put a cragar cap in there also. And you should they are the same exact now. We had some cragars come in and they are exactly like the bullet rims, no flat lip anymore. They did come in cragar boxes.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe I need to re-read the above explanations between the 230 series and the bullett, cuz i'm confused as heck

I know though, that mine are 230 series, with the +32mm offset...my car is lowered 1 inch with 285/35/18's on it....I already had my rear bump stop removed from when I had the 17 x 11 Mustang Chrome Bullitt replicas on there...I have had my rear fender slightly slice a tread on a tire (so I'll be rolling my fender lips soon), and in front, I had issues rubbing when I make a full turn...
Old 03-10-2005, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Well I just called them They only have zero offset . So I guess its back to looking for a chrome rim with a big lip in the correct offset... I feel like crying
Old 03-10-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mstngkiller
neither are really a deep lip. the cragars look deeper cause of the flat lip. the oe bullet wheels will come with a covette like logo instead of the cobra logo for a cap. But i was told from 02phasezl1 that you can put a cragar cap in there also. And you should they are the same exact now. We had some cragars come in and they are exactly like the bullet rims, no flat lip anymore. They did come in cragar boxes.
it was a year ago, but i've had both on my car (bullet replica's and the 230's) and they were definately different, like said above, the Bullet's had 2 lips pretty much, and more square at that, and yes, they did come with corvette flags for the centercaps, and I don't think Cragar caps would fit...

There is my car with both rims, at home I have plenty of pics with the Bullets on the car, I'll dig more up later.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong, but I believe the Cragar SS610's look exactly like the bullit wheels. The 610's are the ones you can find everywhere. The 230's have a fat lip that's flat by the bead and then curves back to the spoke instead of two steps like the 610/bullets, these (230's) seem to be the ones everyone looking for and no one can find. I've searched quite a bit and can't find them. I've also found a couple sites advertising 230's but the picture clearly shows the bullet style 610's. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, that helps clear it up...so the 610's are the 2 lip style like the bullit replica's I had...the 230's are the single lip, smooth all the way to the spoke...the one pic below of the old bullit's isn't the greatest for others to see, I'll try and find more when I'm at home...and yes fbodman, still at work, and it's 925
Old 03-10-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know at least one ZL1 had the cragars and not the bullets , at least they say they're cragars

Sound like from what 02_Phase2_ZL1 and Mstngkiller said earlier that a couple different companys have the rights to make Cragars now, good luck finding what you want.

Last edited by f-bodman; 03-10-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, they've got me really confused with some of those comments, I have been to a few Berger shows now, and of course most of the super cars are there, and I havne't any of them with my old style rims on there, as in, the rims with the 2 lips...
Old 03-10-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default pics of cragars wanted

Originally Posted by 1BadMoFo
ok, that helps clear it up...so the 610's are the 2 lip style like the bullit replica's I had...the 230's are the single lip, smooth all the way to the spoke...the one pic below of the old bullit's isn't the greatest for others to see, I'll try and find more when I'm at home...and yes fbodman, still at work, and it's 925

Okay.............several issues to address.

1) The series 230 and the S/S 610 look the same. I have an actual 230 series wheel in front of me and The Wheel Group catalog also in front of me with a full color picture of their S/S 610 wheel. They certainly look the same to me. They are flat and smooth and have one step down instead of two like the BULLET wheel. AGAIN, the difference between the two (230 vs. S/S 610) is the offset. The 230 has a +.32 offset and the S/S 610 has a +.24 offset.

2) Offset is where the center (i.e. where the center hub of the wheel where the wheel studs go through the wheel and the lugs nuts seat against the wheel) of the wheel is in relation to both the outside and inside lip of the wheel. If it is ZERO offset, it is smack dab in the middle of the wheel. If it has a POSITIVE offset, the center of the wheel is moved out to the front of the rim. If it has a NEGATIVE offset, the center of the wheel is moved toward the back of the wheel so it likewise pushes more of the wheel and tire out under the fender (like you used to see cars in the 60's and 70's). Hopefully I have done a suffient job explaining this. If I haven't someone else try explaining this for me. LS1[CHEVY], as I said earlier in the thread, I personally telephoned Custom Wheels Market this afternoon and the gentleman I spoke with there told me that he had one, yes that's right, just one set of 18X9 230 Cragar S/S wheels in the chromed aluminum one piece design and they were a +.32 offset. Now unless he sold them to someone else after I spoke with him today, they still should have them. If they sold that set, according to him, they shouldn't have any at all then because as I said earlier in this paragraph, he told me they only had ONE set of 18X9 Series 230 chrome aluminum one piece wheels in inventory. When you go into their website and do the drop down, it is right there. It is the fourth entry down. The first one is +0mm, the second +12mm, the third +24mm and the fourth +32mm.

3) The Cragar S/S center cap WILL fit on the BULLET wheels (at least the ones I recieve anyway). Just look at any of the four photographs I posted earlier in this thread ! ! Actually, the BULLET wheels I get come with the Cobra snake center cap packed in the box with them even though they will not fit a Mustang. The Mustang is a 5X4.5 while the F-Body is a 5X4.75 bolt pattern.

4) Regarding the +.32 offset that 1BadMoFo addressed above, I have the same problem with my '02 ZL1. If I hit a really hard bump, my fender lip on the driver's rear side will slightly slice my tire. That is why the wheels I receive now have a +.36 offset. Hopefully this additional +.04 mm will solve that problem.

5) Helen Gibb has 17" wheels on her car and yes, I believe they are the 230 series wheel that GMMG, Inc. put on all the Hot Rod Magazine Camaros.

6) My window sticker on my '02 ZL1 Supercar says I have Cragar S/S 18X9.5 wheels too but the fact is, they are 18X9 BULLET wheels. Here is a close-up photo of my passenger front 18X9 BULLET wheel with the Cragar S/S center cap.

http://12.216.128.145/camaroclub/php...8444cf6005d2af

Whew............My fingers are tired of typing now.........

Last edited by 02_Phase2_ZL1; 03-10-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Well just for the recond .. I did call about 9:00Pm EST The guy on the phone put me on hold to go check , then came back and said he had "ONLY" Zero Offset .. I asked if he could get anymore and he said no . So now im looking at the Privat Profils in 18 X 9.5 with 275/35/18 tire .. Will this setup fit my car no rubbing issues?
Old 03-10-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

what is the offset?

Post a pic!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02_Phase2_ZL1

6) My window sticker on my '02 ZL1 Supercar says I have Cragar S/S 18X9.5 wheels too but the fact is, they are 18X9 BULLET wheels. Here is a close-up photo of my passenger front 18X9 BULLET wheel with the Cragar S/S center cap.

http://12.216.128.145/camaroclub/php...8444cf6005d2af

Whew............My fingers are tired of typing now.........
Yeah, that is nuts, I can't believe I've never noticed with all the supercars and such that I've seen at Berger, but those are definately Bullets!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default pics of cragars wanted

Originally Posted by LS1[CHEVY]
Well just for the recond .. I did call about 9:00Pm EST The guy on the phone put me on hold to go check , then came back and said he had "ONLY" Zero Offset .. I asked if he could get anymore and he said no . So now im looking at the Privat Profils in 18 X 9.5 with 275/35/18 tire .. Will this setup fit my car no rubbing issues?
Why not consider the BULLET wheels. Are you saying that extra lip is enough to turn you off and direct you to another wheel?

As we have discussed over and over again in this thread. They are basically the same wheel. The difference is so subtle that I doubt anyone outside of this forum/thread would ever know the difference ! ! !

I'm goin' to bed now guys. I'll have to check this thread in the mornin' to see what is goin' on and what you said about me while I was sleepin'.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1[CHEVY]
you will not have any rubbing issues. my g/f has 18x9.5 on here car with a prokit and no prob.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02_Phase2_ZL1

Okay.............several issues to address.

1) The series 230 and the S/S 610 look the same. I have an actual 230 series wheel in front of me and The Wheel Group catalog also in front of me with a full color picture of their S/S 610 wheel. They certainly look the same to me. They are flat and smooth and have one step down instead of two like the BULLET wheel. AGAIN, the difference between the two (230 vs. S/S 610) is the offset. The 230 has a +.32 offset and the S/S 610 has a +.24 offset.
Sorry man, I have to disagree with this one and I'm obviously not the only one that sees it.
Top two look the same to me (610 and bullet), bottom one is the 230's, Maybe you're right and the only difference is offset, maybe that's why the 610's look like they have two steps like the bullet instead of one.

The difference between the top left picture (610's) and the bottom picture (230's) is enough for me not to want them, and it looks like it's enough for LS1[CHEVY] not to want them also. I know it's hard for a lot of you guys to see in pictures online but there is a big difference between the lip on the 230's and the bullet (see 1BadMoFo's pics of the two above). Also in all the pics of the Hot Rod cars and Berger cars I posted earlier, none of them have the bullets with two steps, they all have the fat lip.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another thing to realize is that since 1997 Cragar's have been manufactured by no less than three companys. Supershops Inc.(out of business), Performance Wheel outlet (out of business), and now The Wheel Group. So we may in fact be argueing about different rims. And this is just the aluminum rims. There steel and composite wheels are manufactured by Carlisle tire & wheel.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by f-bodman
Another thing to realize is that since 1997 Cragar's have been manufactured by no less than three companys. Supershops Inc.(out of business), Performance Wheel outlet (out of business), and now The Wheel Group. So we may in fact be argueing about different rims. And this is just the aluminum rims. There steel and composite wheels are manufactured by Carlisle tire & wheel.
a plethera of knowledge...
Old 03-11-2005, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

f-bodyman is correct . I do see the difference and its enough for me to decide not to want these rims and pick another set. It was my plan to get an all chrome rim with a big lip . The styles I liked were the Smoothie II , TT2's and Cragars . All 3 of them have a similar style that I like, along with the big lip. The reason I "was" going with the cragars vs the Smoothie II's and TT2's was that they are fully chromed and I live where its almost impossible to keep a "polished" wheel clean . I also have no garage and this is my daily driver. My budget for wheels and tires is right about 2000 bucks . Ive been looking at different rims for over 2 weeks now and im getting pretty frustrated trying to decide. When I first looked at Privats I was not sure about them . Now having looked at them further I think they will look pretty good in Silver on my black Z-28 . Also the fact that I should be able to keep them clean with little effort help me make up my mind . Again I want to thank everyone that has posted to help this thread along.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know what you mean, I've wanted rims for over a year now and I don't know what to get. I would also like something with a big lip and since I have a black car, chrome is almost a requirement. And since 1BadMoFo beat me to this style and he only lives a block away I've got to look elsewhere. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well here ya go, after a little more research, the 230's were manufactured by Performance wheel outlet, maybe that's why they're so hard to find now, as the company has gone under. 230's and 610's are a little different because they were manufactured by different companys. Here's a pic of an old Performance wheel outlet ad, you can definately see the lip in this one.