Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help with Chrome Wheel Shine and Tire Rub

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with Chrome Wheel Shine and Tire Rub

I need some big time help. I just bought an 02 Silver SS with the chrome ZR1's. The previous owner has changed out the rear wheels to 11" wide, but it seems that the level or shine of the chrome on the fronts and the rears. the rear wheels still have some shine left to them, but it's nothing like the fronts. I've tried mothers, turtle wax, chrome cleaner/polish and nothing seems to bring back that shine. I've gotten more remarks on the difference between the chrome wheels than I have on my car.

Anyone have any suggestions? Does it look like I'll need to strip off the clear coat, polish the wheels and then shoot them again or just have both rears rechromed? At this point, I'll try just about anything within reason. I'll try to put up a pic so can see what I'm talking about.

Also I have a tire rub problem on the right rear. It seems that the previous owner did roll the inner fenders in so that they would fit, but when comparing where the tire sits in the fenderwheel, it seems that the right rear sticks out just a little more than left. I usually hear the rub when I'm going over a mild bump under power and from looking at the tire in question, it looks like the tire is scraping on sidewall and cutting into the sidewall tread. Does anyone know how I may be able to realign the rear wheels to ride inside the fenderwells instead out sticking out. I need to get this fixed cause if I don't, I'll be making a trip to the tire store to replace those big ol' 315's.

Please help. Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKahuna327
I need some big time help. I just bought an 02 Silver SS with the chrome ZR1's. The previous owner has changed out the rear wheels to 11" wide, but it seems that the level or shine of the chrome on the fronts and the rears. the rear wheels still have some shine left to them, but it's nothing like the fronts. I've tried mothers, turtle wax, chrome cleaner/polish and nothing seems to bring back that shine. I've gotten more remarks on the difference between the chrome wheels than I have on my car.

Anyone have any suggestions? Does it look like I'll need to strip off the clear coat, polish the wheels and then shoot them again or just have both rears rechromed? At this point, I'll try just about anything within reason. I'll try to put up a pic so can see what I'm talking about.

Also I have a tire rub problem on the right rear. It seems that the previous owner did roll the inner fenders in so that they would fit, but when comparing where the tire sits in the fenderwheel, it seems that the right rear sticks out just a little more than left. I usually hear the rub when I'm going over a mild bump under power and from looking at the tire in question, it looks like the tire is scraping on sidewall and cutting into the sidewall tread. Does anyone know how I may be able to realign the rear wheels to ride inside the fenderwells instead out sticking out. I need to get this fixed cause if I don't, I'll be making a trip to the tire store to replace those big ol' 315's.

Please help. Thanks
Sounds like aftermarket chrome quality vs. OEM chrome quality...typically two different standards. No clear coat on a plated finish either....there shouldn't be anyway ....if there is, then that could be part of your problem. You might as well look into having the rears rechromed.

As far as one side rubbing vs the other, consider picking up an adjustable pan hard rod to center your axle. That will definately help, but you should still consider rolling the fenders to be safe.