Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Does Gold = Ghetto?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does Gold = Ghetto?

I came across a product that gave me an idea. It's a new type of clearcoat that's designed for chrome and it won't flake or peel. Right now, I'm polishing some HPR5's. I have seen that there is a "new" version of these wheels out where they've basically just painted the spokes gold and left the rim polished.

They look like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4558532132

Okay, now here's a link to the site that sells the product that I'm thinking of using:

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/cle...h_prodinfo.htm

The end result will be that instead of the wheels looking like they've just been painted gold, they'll look like they've been plated with the real stuff.

Do you think the real gold effect will be too "much"? My car is black like the one in the Ebay ad BTW.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

That SS convertible does the gold combination well.

BTW: I don't think a little gold is ghetto
Old 09-09-2005, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen some Firehawks with Gold wheels and they look good, along with gold stripes. I've always seen them on black cars though. It does look good on the Pewter in the post above too.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks decent if done tastefully. It can def be overdone and look 'ghetto'. Not my cup of tea, but if you like it go for it.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can do gold well, it looks great. Not easy though.

The car that goes best with yellow/gold wheels is probably the impreza/WRX STI.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

4 coat clear thing to make chrome to gold, red, blue etc... what is that? is it a film overlay or is it clear coat paint that you spray?

kinda confusing, i dont understand why they have crosshatch scratches pictured for examples showing scratches on the product
Old 09-10-2005, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

i think it would be a little much
Old 09-10-2005, 03:37 AM
Staging Lane

I like the bronze finish on my Volks.

Old 09-10-2005, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

jesus 17500 for a 98 ss vert
Old 09-10-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redy2Go WS6
4 coat clear thing to make chrome to gold, red, blue etc... what is that? is it a film overlay or is it clear coat paint that you spray?

kinda confusing, i dont understand why they have crosshatch scratches pictured for examples showing scratches on the product
It's clearcoat paint that you spray. In the demonstration, they use the crosshatch/scratch test to show how well the clearcoat bonds to a perfectly smooth surface like chrome or polished aluminum. The reason you see alot of complaints about people getting a "hazy" or "flaky" appearance to their clear coated polished pieces is because most standard clear coats don't have the ability to embed themselves firmly enough into the grain of the metal they're sprayed onto and changes in atmospheric conditions and temperatures will cause them to loosen their grip and eventually begin to peel. There is also a condition called "outgassing," where extremely small pockets of various gasses get trapped in metal during the casting process and get released in very small amounts over a long period of time as the metal's temperature rises and falls depending on conditions that the wheel goes through. (Weather, performance driving, etc.) The problem is, there may be a long period of time in between when the clear actually starts to loosen, vs. when it's loose enough that it starts peeling, so in the meantime you get the hazy or cloudy effect which is basically just microscopic pockets of air that have formed between the clearcoat layer and the metal surface. This Alsa clearcoat has eliminated that problem.