Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Polished vs Chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished vs Chrome?

What are the real disadvantges and advantages of both? i am looknig into buying z06 rims and can't decide which to get. Thanks, Andrew
Old 10-02-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, I love the look of polished vs chrome. The main problem with polished aluminum is cleaning and maintenance. Chrome is easier to clean. Chrome also makes wheels heavier and depending on quality can flake off in time. To me chrome looks cheaper but this is my opinion...lol!
If you like to dedicate time and compromise in your car I would go with polished!
Old 10-02-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't mind the upkeep, go with polished.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Chrome has a brighter shine and is easier to maintain. Chipping, peeling, flaking and discoloration can happen if it was a cheap chrome job or they have been exposed to salt. Polished are cheaper and generally don't have the same shine depth to them as chrome. Most cast and polished rims don't have the same shine as a Billet Specialties polished aluminum rim. Polished does take more maintainence to keep looking nice. I never had a problem with them as long as I kept them washed with some Eagle One A2Z wheel cleaner and the occasional billet polish to bring back the lost shine. I highly doubt chroming adds any significant weight to the wheel. It's really personal choice. I have chrome ZR1's that came on my SS and I have polished aluminum on my Sonoma.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was going to get the polished z06 rims for mine and came across a hell of a deal on chrome z06 and tires package. I have to say that I am majorly impressed and glad I didn't go with the polished. They really bring out the car and look radical at a slow roll.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Launching!

I have had both, here is my take. Chrome is nice because the upkeep is easy, and they look nice. On the other hand they can flake and weigh a little more in most cases.

Polished, the bad side, the upkeep can be a pain, but you can get some Zoopseal to "seal" them up, it works great. The best thing about polished for me was if it gets scratched you can repair it, I got a couple little scratches in my TTII's and with a little sanding and polishing they looked brand new.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you learn how to take care of polished rims, you dont have to spend much time polishing them. To me chrome is too flashy for a fbody. Polished is much cleaner or tasteful. I love my polished wheels, once I took the clear off.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

What do you mean by difficulty of cleaning them? What has to be doen to keep them clean?

*** for a polish lock? How does that stuff work and is it worth it?
Old 10-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you daily drive your car like I do, I would not recommend polished rims. I have polished on my daily driver, and they get dirty so fast it isn't even funny. The problem is you just can't let water sit on them, or they will stain. I'll be pulling my wheels of AGAIN tonight to get them cleaned up. Such a PITA.

After I get a place with a garage (and a beater), they will be great. Polished looks PIMP when clean. Lots of elbow grease required.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

chrome for me, I went out of my way to find an f-body with the chrome wheels when I bought it, so I wouldn't have the extra expense later... sometimes I think I'm the only one on in this whole community that likes the stock chrome rims... but I love them, that's all that matters
Old 10-03-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Go with the chrome they look way better.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If you daily drive your car like I do, I would not recommend polished rims. I have polished on my daily driver, and they get dirty so fast it isn't even funny. The problem is you just can't let water sit on them, or they will stain. I'll be pulling my wheels of AGAIN tonight to get them cleaned up. Such a PITA.

After I get a place with a garage (and a beater), they will be great. Polished looks PIMP when clean. Lots of elbow grease required.
Give me you CCW's and it will be all good. I want those SP500's so damn bad.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

it's all a matter of preference, the build of a wheel determines alot too. since you are asking about z06 wheels my opinion would be chrome and here's why. the z06 knock off wheels you will buy will be cast aluminum, polished cast aluminum isn't as nice as polished billet aluminum, it's also alot more prone to pitting, rusting, discoloration, etc.

however, while the chrome version will be easier to keep clean if you do have a problem with scratches, curb rash or anything that causes the chrome to chip you will have even larger problems and you can't fix them.

if you take care of your car and you are looking to get z06 wheels go with chrome. z06 wheels are hard enough to wash chrome or polished i couldn't imagine the headaches they would bring without the chrome plating.

now if you want to build a sweet looking ride that turns heads polished billet wheels are what do the trick, however at 2-3 times more in price it can be a bit much. i had 18" oe concept z06 wheels in chrome for a year, i liked the looks of them but they were terrible to wash because of the design and they were heavy.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jargan04
Give me you CCW's and it will be all good. I want those SP500's so damn bad.

My ZR1s are making a comeback in a daily driver status while I figure out how to get these fuggers chromed.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

I think it depends in your car color but I like polish

Quick Reply: Polished vs Chrome?